RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Re: RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Chris,

Yes, MS hijack and manipulate anything and everything they can get their hands on. Dell are the same - I have found.

Perhaps Bose think that the more gimmicks they cram into a product the more appealing it will be to the potential consumer? To me, less is more; that way you can, as you state, add your own colouring.

I did some research on Bose and they, apparently, use a completely different concept to all other manufacturers. They base everything (design/specs) on 'psycho-acoustics'. In other words, they anticipate, or believe they are able to anticipate, what it is exactly that the end user wants to hear. They believe they are correct so that the end user does not have to do anything whatsoever in order to make the music (phones) sound any better. But in their defense, they don't seem to cut corners with anything relating to their products, so that's something at least. I can see their goods being very popular with non-musicians, which is fair enough.

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi,

Would you ever buy REFURBISHED?:

http://centresdirect.co.uk/p-15714-sony ... bce7a.aspx

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi,

SONY MDR-ZX770BNL Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones.

Not a bad little review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OitCX0GJv4g

Shop soiled (£49!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-ZX7 ... Q#viTabs_0

Ta,

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 am

I wouldn't have any problem buying those ones off ebay for £49. They are ex-demo by the sound of it. If they do exactly the same job and are in good condition then why pay full price?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 pm
SONY MDR-ZX770BNL Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones.

Not a bad little review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OitCX0GJv4g

Shop soiled (£49!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-ZX7 ... Q#viTabs_0
Hi,

These are the ones I am going to go for. Trouble is, Sony has discontinued them since the start of this month (how's that for timing!). So tomorrow I will be making the purchase. The £49.00 have been on the shop floor and so loads of idiots will have been trying them on. I think I will spend an extra £20 and buy a new pair. A guy on eBay has offered me £75 and free postage, with a one year warranty. The are also brand new and in original box.

I would never use Bose after their shoddiness. PC World is a non-starter. Sennheiser and Beyer are very good. But Sony seem to be the best regarding this whole headphone malarkey.

Ta,

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Buying something on Ebay where the sellers says it is brand new often turns out not to be the case. IF they are brand new then they should be in a SEALED box. If that is not the case then they cannot be described as BRAND NEW.

What people often do is describe as Brand New "other" which means they are in new condition and have only been taken out of the box for inspection....of course they could just as easily have been used and you would never know. Ebay is great just got to keep all these things in mind when considering what price you are paying.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Saul,

Yes, there is NEW OTHER. That is really quite an elastic term. With SHOP SOILED you kinda know more where you are, I think

There was a guy on eBay selling some as NEW, yet the photos of the box were open! I asked him to confirm that they were NEW and his answer was to "just click Buy It Now"! I asked him why they were cheap and he said he bought a shipload of them and so is able to reduce the selling price. But he is a private seller and not a store, and so I doubt there is a warranty? There was no 'please' or 'thank you' either in his dialogue. And returns not accepted.

I spoke to Sony again this morning who said that there is a mistake on their website. The phones are not NEW for £75 clearance, but rather RECONDITIONED for £99!

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 pm

If that Ebay seller has bought a load of them and is now selling them on Ebay he is trade not private and is breaking the Ebay terms & conditions. Also anyone that answers you in that manner is absolutely best avoided no matter how cheap they are.

It always worries me slightly when companies sell things like headphones as "reconditioned" because what that usually means in reality is that someone bought them, didn't like them and sent them back. The question then is, WHY didn't they like them? I'm assuming here that they will have done some research before buying them so had expectations that were apparently not met. Will that be the same when you buy them? Who knows?

Probably the absolute safest way for you to buy headphones you will be happy with are to go and try them in store..which I know you have done, then buy the ones you like but buy them online so you are protected by the distance selling regulations. Although I know from experience that taking something back to John Lewis is quick and easy and they are happy to refund or exchange. I would NEVER buy from Curry's though. They are a complete pain in the ass to return anything to.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi,

I have a £20 gift voucher for Argos (I hate the store to be honest!). I was going to use it against a brand new pair of Sony phones (they are £119 so I would get them for £99). I could take a chance and buy them on eBay for £85, I am thinking I may as well stick the extra £15 down and get 100% brand-new. My local Argos has them in so I can Click&Collect tomorrow. And it saves faffing around with a courier etc.

Can any confirm, please, that these are identical? I am sure they are, but one says "around ear" and the other "on-ear". They should both be "around ear":

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-ZX7 ... SwE~laqwhY

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Saul,

Curry are the WORST!; yes.

I am always polite in my emails to eBay sellers. Partly because I have good manners, but also in case of an event where a 'dispute' has to be opened. eBay always read all of the messages between both parties. Also, it shows that you have all of your questions as written answers/replies (despite whether or not the seller is lying), which gives you extra protection.

There are many people who buy large amounts of clearance-stock, and then sell them all on eBay, but not under a 'business' account. That way they save on seller fees!

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm

The Sony MDR-ZX770BN are definitely Over Ear type headphones, I checked on the Sony website.

Did you look at the Sony WH-CH500 which are only £45 in John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm
The Sony MDR-ZX770BN are definitely Over Ear type headphones, I checked on the Sony website.

Did you look at the Sony WH-CH500 which are only £45 in John Lewis with a 2 year guarantee?
Cheers,

I have reserved the MDR-ZX770BN in Argos for tomorrow.

I tried the other Sonys you mention last week in John Lewis. They are on-ear, so I did not like them in that sense. Also, there was zero noise-cancelling.

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi,

To replace my broken Sennheisers, I have ordered these phones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ROKL5A1OLE

albeit from Argos (a store I totally detest, but because Sony has now discontinued this model, they are hard to find elsewhere). I ordered online and received a £10 discount! Pick them up on Monday.

Do you think, if walking along the promenade in them, that the salt (in the air) from the nearby sea might damage them (ie. corrosion)?

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 am

Those look fine Paul. Hopefully the batteries are just AA/AAA.

I generally detest built-in rechargables EXCEPT if they can be replaced (eventually).

The trick with the noise-cancellation feature, is to remember to switch it OFF when you don't need it -

or you'll be buying batteries constantly.

I wouldn't have thought seaside air should be a problem, but probably best to avoid using if it's raining?

I don't actually BUY much or at all from Argos. Their prices are not as competitive as they used to be.

I DO however often use the "click and collect from your local Argos", as I have have one less than a mile away.

THAT works very well I've found.

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 am

Just an additional thought.

Have you taken a look to see whether spares are available for the product you purchase.
One of the reasons Sennheiser are particularly good (IMO) is that pads and leads and so forth are readily available.
Do Bose and Sony,etc., have a similar outlook, or do they force you to replace the whole kaboodle when the foam eventually wears out?

It's one of the reasons I intend to stick with Sennheiser, despite the fact that they're generally more expensive.
Quality always comes at a price IMV.
I just adore my HD600s. (ott!)

JG
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.

Return to “Chill Out Room”