RE: Annoying Pop-Up Craze (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

RE: Annoying Pop-Up Craze (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is because of the recent FaceBook scandal or not, but since then, every single website I visit has an obtrusive pop-up which shows asking me to "accept cookies", and stuff like that. I receive this on my mobile phone also. It takes up 80% of the screen!

Is this a good/bad thing, and do you 'accept' them? In the instances that I have, the pop-ups still appear each time I visit!

Thanks very much indeed.

Paul
Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / MiniMoog Model D / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 (Mk1), DX21 & DX27 / Roland Juno 6 / Korg Poly_61.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: RE: Annoying Pop-Up Craze (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 pm

It's because of the new EU GDPR rules Paul. They have no option but to ask you to "opt in" They are not doing it to be annoying. The fines for not doing it can put even the largest website out of business.

Strictly speaking I should have a pop up on this site and I still may have to implement that.

Really it's all about protecting YOU. It means you have the right to know what your data is being used for and to also restrict it's use. You can also ask any site that holds data about you to tell you what that data is and ask for it's removal.

Of course the other side to that coin is if say you wanted to exercise that right on our forum you would no longer be able to use the site for posting as all members need to be registered and in order to register you need to provide a valid email address. The email address cannot be removed from your profile without disabling that profile.

We don't share your email with anyone, period! and the only time you should receive an email from us is either to tell you there is something wrong with the site or...if you signed up to the mailing list we may tell you about competitions, giveaways and things like that. But given I probably send out about 5 newsletters a year I don't think it is going to weigh down your inbox too much ;)

You CAN however unsubscribe from the mailing list. You will know if your on it because you will have received previous newsletters.

Anyway hope that helps explain all the sudden pop ups your seeing?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Saul,

OK, cheers.

So every time I visit a website (say, John Lewis) and the pop-up appears, then I should click on "I Accept". The thing is, I am sure that even though I have done so an many sites, then the next time(s) I visit I still get the same pop-up message! Should it not disappear after the first time I have agreed?

Ta,

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 pm

It depends on when you agreed. There would also have been the pop up for the previous version of privacy laws so you may well have accepted that but on May 25th it all changed and sites were required to ask people to accept again under the new GDPR rules.

If you have cookies disabled in your browser you will always see the pop up because it relies on them to record your visit and your acceptance.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Cheers; I will have to check on my cookies status ...
Rara
Australia

Unread post by Rara » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 am

If you want to block the cookie notifications in browser (firefox for example), you need to install adblock plus, then subscribe to the filter called
"I don't care about cookies" under the miscellaneous section.

Rara 0-)
Yamaha: SY35, SY77, SY85, TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, D110, MC307, MKB200 (x2)
Kawai: XD5 / Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: CZ1000, CZ5000, FZ-1 / E-MU: ESI 2000
Digitech studio 400 / Alesis SR-16 / Boss: Dr550mk2, SE-70
Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1 / Studiomaster Fusion
Modded SX Bass, fat wires, Dimarzio DP250 pickups, Ernie Ball strings / Gliga 1
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 am

"adblock" the bane of my life ;( It was a great idea but much like advertising itself which went overkill and ruined peoples online experience, adblock has done the same thing and ruined many good sites that depend on the revenue from things like Adsense in order to pay their costs. You can of course configure it to allow ads on certain sites but most people don't.

End result is site owners end up footing the costs of running, maintaining and hosting sites themselves or they just give up and the site disappears.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Rara
Australia

Unread post by Rara » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 am

I do understand, I ran my own site from home once and watched revenue go through the floor and expenses go through the roof.
I held on to it for as long as I could. (took a long time to pay off).

I don't mind the cookie banners at the bottom which give you the option to click or not and still read.
I have my advert white-list of friendly's, mostly music/art related websites.
When you come across a full page light box blackout like that below, it is a bit much. It's enough to turn me away and go somewhere else.

cookie.JPG
Yamaha: SY35, SY77, SY85, TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, D110, MC307, MKB200 (x2)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 am

I agree, I don't like the full page black out way of doing things either.

Advertising is a really hard thing to get right. On the one hand you need people to see it otherwise there is no point but if you do that in a way that makes the page difficult to read people will just move on. With Adsense we only have it in one position on the forum and that is after the first post in each thread. Usually it is music related so that's fine but occasionally it get's things wrong and serves up an advert very few of us would ever click on.

I am though more concerned with people "seeing" the adverts rather than clicking on them. A lot of companies these days are more interested in "brand awareness" instead of clicks. It is all about getting the brand in front of people but if everyone is using ad blockers no one will see the ads and the value of your site to advertisers falls through the floor.

The other problem is ad blockers don't just block adverts. They also block side widgets on WordPress sites and we use those on the front of the site for things like the twitter stream and facebook etc. Adblockers are a scatter gun approach to selective content.

Still when all is said and done the advertising community only have themselves to blame. They went too far in the name of greed and caused a backlash amongst web users. A perfect example of where it's all gone so wrong. Turn your adblocker off for a moment and head over to http://www.dailymail.co.uk It's an awful experience and showcases perfectly the reasons why people don't turn off their adblockers!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Rara
Australia

Unread post by Rara » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:50 pm

I see what you mean with dailymail 8O that is a big mess, it froze up my browser.
I had to use opera/vpn to see your page 'cause it redirects to australia.
A big blue banner across the bottom covering a quarter of the screen is a bit much. unlike aussie overkill :lol: it's still readable to a point.
It reminds me of aussie ratings on dvd's and games :roll:
plus how many trackers on dailymail .... like 16 ...

Return to “Chill Out Room”