RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi folks,

I trawled thru this forum looking for a thread which I thought I had started last year, but obviously I didn't. The only thread of mine sightly relating to this topic is the "Sony Walkman" thread.

I obviously did not post an update to the situation. The Sony Walkman was returned (3 times) and then I was refunded - because of an EU volume-capping Law. Basically, you could not get any volume out of them. And if you had them at a loud level then the Sony would beep periodically to warn you. Highly annoying and a complete insult to all professional musicians.

And so, at the moment, I have been using my Amazon Fire HD8 tablet as a music player. Actually, I have owned the tablet since August last, and have since been ripping my hard-copy CD collection to FLAC format. It is really only since June that I have had a serious chance to sit down and listen to my ripped collection in detail, and at length.

PROBLEMS!!!!:

'VLC' is dreadful as a music playing app, I am sorry to say. It seems to be fine for video playback, but totally hit and miss for music. I was very surprised, and disappointed, to learn of this, but since doing a little bit of investigating, it seems that many other users feel the exact same way about it.

My ripped CD's would not playback 'gapless-ly'. On typical concept recordings, as the player moves from track to track, each transition (which should be segue/unnoticeable) as sound akin to a corrupted-file blasts thru my phones! Every recording of this type results in the same defect.

I though it was 'VLC' but then over the weekend I d/l a few (free) music players from the Amazon PlayStore. The same thing happens! So now I am thinking that it is the Amazon Fire which cannot handle gap-less playing? If this is the case, then I think this is quite ridiculous - in my opinion.

I noticed that Saul had started a thread discussing the pros/sons of his Amazon Fire (I did not even know he owned one):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9930

I have spent a week trying to install foobar player (which is my preferred music app), but to no avail:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... foobar2000

The tech team at Amazon also took remote-access (for an hour) this morning and they could not explain the 'gap-less' problem, nor not being able to install foobar. As per always, my situation has been escalated to a higher level (I hear this nearly every bloody week now!). Anyway, then I saw Saul's thread, a mentioned earlier. In which case, if I follow the instructions of the You Tube video (is the guy from Greece?), then should I be able to d/l and use foobar, and will the tablet finally perform 'gap-less' renditions?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Ta,

Paul
Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / MiniMoog Model D / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 (Mk1), DX21 & DX27 / Roland Juno 6 / Korg Poly_61.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.
User avatar
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:00 am
Contact:
Wales

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm

For me it is my iPhone. Has every album I own on it, and is I always have my phone with me when I am away....

I couple that with a Sony SRS-X11 portable Bluetooth speaker. A 2" cube that sounds far better than it should do for a speaker of that size, and fine for the garden or a hotel room. And of coure it works in the car, where it also doubles as my Satnav (TOMTOM GO app) with speed camera alerts and live traffic updates (which is very accurate).
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi again,

I am consolidating two issues/questions here because one affects/influences the other.

Taking all of the above into account, if the Amazon Fire HD8 will still not perform 'gap-less' playback then I will be pretty devastated! Without wishing to jump the gun too much, I would possibly try to get a refund/exchange on the device (bear in mind this is my 3rd Amazon Fire in 10 months because the first two models had to be replaced due to s/w faults!).

And so, I was looking at portable/personal music players of which are sensibly priced and appear to offer the desired specs. I came up with two, but my concern (despite excellent reviews) is that I have never heard of the manufacturers before, nor have I ever purchased a brand I am not familiar with:

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Play ... p60+hidizs

Or the:

https://xunnobi.com/reviews/hifi-walker-h2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIFI-WALKER-H2 ... 29639FFC8U

Much appreciated,

Paul
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm
For me it is my iPhone. Has every album I own on it, and is I always have my phone with me when I am away....

I couple that with a Sony SRS-X11 portable Bluetooth speaker. A 2" cube that sounds far better than it should do for a speaker of that size, and fine for the garden or a hotel room. And of coure it works in the car, where it also doubles as my Satnav (TOMTOM GO app) with speed camera alerts and live traffic updates (which is very accurate).
Hi Derek,

I hope you are well and not too HOT!?

I looked at iPhones last year and more recently (because my sister has one) the iPod Shuffle. The latter looked quite good but has since been replaced by an Apple device which plays music, but also features: Instagram, FaceTime, a camera, messaging, etc... all features I am really not too fussed about at all too be honest.

I think we discussed this last year somewhere but I don't listen to music/radio when I am driving; nor do I use sat-nav.

I do appreciate your kind input here though!

Ta,

Paul
User avatar
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10383
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:
Ireland

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Paul. Yes I do indeed have a Fire HD8 which I bought last year.

I assume you are talking about the Foobar2000 music player app? I just installed it. Will need to put a few music files on there as I don't use my Fire HD for anything other than reading pdf magazines and browsing the web. I'll let you know how it goes.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm
Hi Paul. Yes I do indeed have a Fire HD8 which I bought last year.

I assume you are talking about the Foobar2000 music player app? I just installed it. Will need to put a few music files on there as I don't use my Fire HD for anything other than reading pdf magazines and browsing the web. I'll let you know how it goes.
Great stuff,

I would really appreciated that. I was going to tag these questions onto your "HD8 First Impressions" thread; but then I was concerned it might detract from the subject matter (as I am also discussing foobar, gap-less playing, and alternative personal hi-fis).

So you never noticed the gap-less issue then? Sorry to drop the bomshell!

Ta,

Paul
User avatar
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10383
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:
Ireland

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Ok so I put Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Remastered version on the HD8 and played it with Foobar and no problems at all. However I tried the same files with VLC and yes there were glitches between tracks so it appears to be the VLC app that is the root of the issue. Odd because there is a special version just for the Fire HD...which is probably the reason it doesn't work very well ;)

I think if you install Foobar you will be fine. Although you won't find it on the Amazon App store, at least I couldn't. I downloaded it via the Google Play Store but as you are probably aware the Fire HD doesn't have the Google Play store available as standard. They want you to rely on Amazon services only.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:24 pm
Ok so I put Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Remastered version on the HD8 and played it with Foobar and no problems at all. However I tried the same files with VLC and yes there were glitches between tracks so it appears to be the VLC app that is the root of the issue. Odd because there is a special version just for the Fire HD...which is probably the reason it doesn't work very well ;)

I think if you install Foobar you will be fine. Although you won't find it on the Amazon App store, at least I couldn't. I downloaded it via the Google Play Store but as you are probably aware the Fire HD doesn't have the Google Play store available as standard. They want you to rely on Amazon services only.
Cheers Saul,

That's immensely helpful.

It took me 15 mins to install the 'RedSkull' tutorial directions. Some of the pages/steps appeared quite differently; not sure how old that video is? Maybe my GUI is newer? Anyway, I have Google Play installed now (contrary to the numb-skulls at Amazon!).

Yes, you are correct about the fact that the apps I desire not existing in the Amazon PlayStore.

Here is foobar (in case you could not see it):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... foobar2000

Unless this is not the correct one?

And so you think the gap-less issue lies with 'VLC'?

Ta,

Paul
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi,

Have d/l foobar now. It's showing up and opening.

All of my FLACs are stored on a SanDisk external 200GB SD-card. Just need to fathom out how to get the damn file-directory mapped now...

Ta,

Paul
User avatar
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10383
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:
Ireland

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Yes that's the app I installed so we are on the same page with that one :)

I have only ever used the internal memory on the Fire HD. My use doesn't require much in the way of space. Eventually I will go back to an iPad but for now the Fire HD does the job :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
User avatar
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4250
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:00 am
Contact:
Wales

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm
For me it is my iPhone. Has every album I own on it, and is I always have my phone with me when I am away....

I couple that with a Sony SRS-X11 portable Bluetooth speaker. A 2" cube that sounds far better than it should do for a speaker of that size, and fine for the garden or a hotel room. And of coure it works in the car, where it also doubles as my Satnav (TOMTOM GO app) with speed camera alerts and live traffic updates (which is very accurate).
Hi Derek,

I hope you are well and not too HOT!?

I looked at iPhones last year and more recently (because my sister has one) the iPod Shuffle. The latter looked quite good but has since been replaced by an Apple device which plays music, but also features: Instagram, FaceTime, a camera, messaging, etc... all features I am really not too fussed about at all too be honest.

I think we discussed this last year somewhere but I don't listen to music/radio when I am driving; nor do I use sat-nav.

I do appreciate your kind input here though!

Ta,

Paul
No worries. Personally I like the "it does everything" convenience as I only have to remember to carry one thing about :) But appreciate that other people have different needs. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10383
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:
Ireland

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm with you Derek. iPhone does everything I need and the ONLY reason I don't use it for reading pdf magazines on the the go is the old eyes are not what they were. The screen is just a tad too small for me now.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm
No worries. Personally I like the "it does everything" convenience as I only have to remember to carry one thing about :) But appreciate that other people have different needs. :)
Derek,

I hardly even take my phone out with me anymore. I am becoming more recluse these-days. And if I am listening to music, I certainly don't wanted to be distracted by the phone or emails etc.

Ta.

Paul
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 pm
I'm with you Derek. iPhone does everything I need and the ONLY reason I don't use it for reading pdf magazines on the the go is the old eyes are not what they were. The screen is just a tad too small for me now.
I'm 50 this year. My eyes definitely are not what hey used to be. It's quite a worry really. But you have to take it on the chin.

Paul
User avatar
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Great Britain

Re: RE: Portable Music Player Device (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi,

Did anyone have any thoughts/insight into the 2 music-players I linked at the very top of this thread, please?

Paul
Post Reply

Return to “Chill Out Room”