My Yamaha bikes and a project I have yet to start !

Covers all Yamaha Motorcycles old and new

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

amarsh64
Canada

My Yamaha bikes and a project I have yet to start !

Unread post by amarsh64 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:55 am

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha Enduro 60 the same as in the picture . Maybe not quite as shiny though .
1068_20.jpg
My second was a Yamaha rd 350 like this one . Man they had an awesome power band . Like riding a motocross bike but made for the street. Lots of wheelies with this when I was young and didn't know any better .
yamahard350-1975-2.jpg
From my teens I always loved the look of a Maxim. I always hoped to get one . Years later I came across a very rundown 1981 650 Maxim through a friend. A 700 dollar fixer upper . Very , very rough !
1 Very Rough.jpg
After a year or so and much elbow grease (and money) I had it looking presentable. Still more work to do but not too bad .
Better.JPG
I still have the Maxim but it has been sitting in an open ended barn for the last 6 years so she is due for a lot of cleaning TLC . I will have it back on the road one of these days .
IMG_0139.JPG

It's not a Yamaha but hopefully 1 pic won't hurt . This is a bike I picked up a while back and it will be a project down the road . A 1981 Kawasaki ltd 1000 with lots of issues . Hopefully a fun ride some day .
IMG_1629.JPG
Mexican Strat , Fender twin Reverb , Yamaha RGX 312 , 7 PC Tama Imperial star drums , Alesis DM5 drums , Roland JV-80 , Roland JV-1010 , Roland VS-1680 , Gretsch G5700 Lap Steel , Peavey Bass guitar , Fender Rumble 75 , Yamaha MT120 , Roland R5 , Presonus Fire Studio 26x26 , Behringer UB2222FX-PRO Mixer , Boss GT-100 And never enough time to play with it all :-(
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: My Yamaha bikes and a project I have yet to start !

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:21 pm

That Kawasaki Ltd 1000 looks similar to the 750 Spectre that I had. It was probably the same bike apart from the engine size.

I actually started out with Suzuki's. TS100, X5, GT380, GS400, GS550 and GS850. I think my first Yamaha was an XS250...or could have been a DT175MX, can't remember now. Seems so long ago!

Nice job on the Maxim :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
amarsh64
Canada

Unread post by amarsh64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 am

Were any of you guys ever members of the Yamaha XJ owners club ? I think it evolved into something else but I am not sure . Anyway I used to be and have the cd's that the club was selling with tons of owner pics and lots of technical data and parts sheets for these bikes . They are a great resource . BTW I really like the look of the Suzuki GT 550 , especially the wedge shaped heads . My other favorite 2 stroke was the Kawasaki H2 . Beautiful looking motorcycle but kill you in a heartbeat on the corners .(or so they say ) The Kawasaki Spectre is a really sharp looking machine . The problem is to find a clean one . Another bike that would be great to own would be a Honda custom 750 or 900. I guess i have a thing for the original low rider type bikes from the 80's .
Mexican Strat , Fender twin Reverb , Yamaha RGX 312 , 7 PC Tama Imperial star drums , Alesis DM5 drums , Roland JV-80 , Roland JV-1010 , Roland VS-1680 , Gretsch G5700 Lap Steel , Peavey Bass guitar , Fender Rumble 75 , Yamaha MT120 , Roland R5 , Presonus Fire Studio 26x26 , Behringer UB2222FX-PRO Mixer , Boss GT-100 And never enough time to play with it all :-(
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:15 am

I think there was an XJ owners club in the UK but I had moved onto BMW by that time. Maybe find out about copyright etc on the data you have and if we can get permission post some of the stuff here?

Yeah the Suzuki GT range were interesting. I don't think I ever laid eyes on the 550 but the 380 and 750 were quite popular over here. The 380 was a great touring bike. Would cruise along all day at around 80mph and was silky smooth. Not the fastest bike out of the blocks of course, not carrying all that weight but as a long distance tourer it was ideal...until two strokes fell out of favour of course ;)

I always wanted a Kawasaki KH but your right, they were fast but a bit scary in the twisty bits!

Back in the 80's and early 90's I was also quite into the laid back cruiser type of bike the last of which I owned was the Honda VF750 Custom, the one with the solid back wheel and "rocket launcher" exhausts? Wonderful bike, fast, smooth and handled really well.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Yamaha Motorcycles Forum”