RØDE Microphones Factory Tour

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

RØDE Microphones Factory Tour

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am

I have been recently looking at mics for recording acoustic guitar and RØDE are of course high on the list. Then I came across this video of a factory tour and realised just how incredible RØDE are!

Looks like they have invested heavily on the production process. Every RØDE microphone is manufactured by them in their own plant in Sydney, Australia. And when I say manufactured that means from the raw materials to the finished product. They make everything.

Anyway, take a look as Alex from Source Distribution, who are the UK distributors for RØDE, is taken through the whole process of creating a microphone from start to finish.

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: RØDE Microphones Factory Tour

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Very Impressive. The entire process in-house - so it's ALL under the "watchful eye".

Most ALL of that "Plant" is very expensive stuff - so the final price of their mics is very understandable and completely justified.

The customer can be sure that no stone has been left unturned . . . .

We had NT-4s bundled with the portable DAT recorders at the Uni - for "field" recording . . . .

RODE NT-4.jpg
RODE NT-4.jpg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 264 times

Crossed-Pair Stereo without Tears . . . . :lol:

We also had an Anechoic Chamber at the Uni in the Bowels of the building, much like theirs - only Shabbier . . . .

It was based in the "Engines Lab" of the Mechanical Engineering Department -

back when I was Departmental Photographer . . . . (Pre Music-Dept).

I DO recall a job it did, examining the Sound of the HORN from the Aircraft Carrier HMS VICTORIOUS(?).

The horn was bout 3 meters long and powered by 3-Phase (415v) 8O .

IIRC, you could just HEAR (or was that - FEEL? ) the horn despite the Doors being closed . . . . 8O

I also recall a project being done in it, using a remotely triggered Bass Guitar . . . . . can't remember the detail of that though . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: RØDE Microphones Factory Tour

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 pm

It truly is quite an amazing facility. I didn't know much about RØDE apart from their video mics and the add ons for the iPhone etc so was really interesting to see how they are made and the amount of tech involved. Will never look at a RØDE mic in quite the same way again :)

That Anechoic Chamber is something else! Never seen anything like that before. They did say that the only other places that had them were universities, I guess because of the cost and time involved in building such a thing. Of course I assume universities recoup some of that outlay by hiring the facility out?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Chill Out Room”