ipad and dgx660

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

hughdelong
United States of America

ipad and dgx660

Unread post by hughdelong » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Can I control the dgx660 with my iPad - able to choose banks, registration memory, etc? Trying to make it more like a workstation /psr - for playing purposes. That is, I would like to have easy to reach setup buttons. Didn't the Digital Piano Controller app for the iPad do something like this? Is there something like that for the dgx660?

I used a PSR s900 to play and many setups that allowed me to choose a particular style with 8 different voice settings.

SO far, I have just used the 4 setting buttons for each bank, allowing me 8 setups with 4 voices settings. Can these be controlled via the iPad?

Sorry if this is old to the list, it is a new instrument to me. Hugh
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: ipad and dgx660

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi there Hugh, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I know the DGX 660 can connect wirelessly to the iPad...if you have the additional dongle of course. Too much to ask for Yamaha to include it in the box or better still build in the connectivity. :roll:

However as far as I know that connection to the iPad does not "mirror" the DGX display and controls, it just allows you to stream audio and MIDI to and from the iPad using several apps that are available.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:37 pm

You cannot select a particular Registration on the DGX-660 using an iPad or other MIDI connection, the way you can on the Tyros, Genos, and newest PSR-S models (775 and 975).

However, you can use an iPad or other MIDI connection to select a particular Voice on the DGX-660. Although I've never done it with my PSR-E models, I believe you can use apps such as "SongBook +" to send Bank Select and Program Change events to the DGX-660 when a particular song's sheet music is loaded and displayed. You can also use a DAW such as "Cubasis" to send any type of MIDI message to the DGX-660.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
hughdelong
United States of America

Unread post by hughdelong » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Few other questions - 1) where do you get pdf's for the songbook + program? 2) can I edit the songdatabase file for the dgx660? Can a newer edition/edited one be downloaded (there were some places for the psr's... 3) Is there a program kindof like Band-in-box where I can input the chordchart, style, and thus create a backup that uses the dgx's styles? Can such be done with chordtracker or musicsoft without having it anylize an audio file? Lots of questions -- but thanks for any help!
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 pm

(1) PDFs are available from different places. Years ago it used to be that you had to buy the Adobe Acrobat program to be able to print or save to PDF; but these days many programs such as word processors, graphics editors, web browsers, etc., have a built-in ability to print or save to PDF without the need for additional software. What I did was install the free version of a "PDF printer" called Bullzip (http://www.bullzip.com/), which lets me print to PDF instead of printing to paper-- that is, whenever I want to print something, I select the option to print as though I were planning to print to paper, but when the print dialog box comes up where I can select which printer I want to send the print job to there's a "Bullzip PDF printer" that I can choose so the printout is saved to PDF. I now print everything that way-- receipts when I pay a bill or buy something online, web pages I want to be able to read later without having to remember the URL or hunt for it in a list of bookmarked pages, etc. And if I ever want a paper copy then all I need to do is open up the PDF and print a paper copy. I can even print selected pages from a long PDF to a new PDF, or combine multiple PDFs by printing them one by one to a new PDF and choosing the "append" option, etc. Of course, there are many other PDF utilities available, both free and otherwise, and most people will have a particular one that they latch onto as their favorite, so if you ask people which PDF utility you should use then you'll likely get a lot of conflicting opinions about which programs are the best. But if you have a PDF of a song book then you can extract individual songs from it to their own PDFs, or if you have paper sheet music then you can scan it and save it to PDF, etc. And if you don't mind having to do a bit of work, there are notation software packages available-- both free and otherwise-- that you could use to make your own lead sheets, or to enter in a song that you have the sheet music for except the sheet music is old or worn out or written on and you want a clean copy instead of a scan of something that doesn't look very good anymore; and once you've entered the music into your favorite notation software you can print it to PDF. You can also buy individual songs from sheet music merchants where the sheet music can be transposed to any key, then you can print it to PDF. :) EDIT: Also, some people like to use the cameras on their phones to take snapshots of their paper sheet music, as opposed to scanning them, and if you do that then you should be able to print the photographs of the sheet music pages to PDF.

(2) I'm not certain that I understand what you mean by "the songdatabase file" in your second question. I haven't actually used "SongBook +" myself yet; I installed it a while ago meaning to learn it but--as usual with me-- I never got A Round Tuit (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=a+round+tuit). My understanding is that you can create your own "set list" of songs, and you can set up each song to send specific MIDI messages to your keyboard at some point-- when the song is first displayed, or at some point in the middle of the song, or at the end of the song, etc. And you can even go in the other direction, where you select a voice or registration on your keyboard and it sends the corresponding MIDI setup data to "SongBook +," which is set up to recognize that particular sequence of MIDI messages and MIDI data as a trigger for displaying a particular song. In any case, a lot of owners of Yamaha Tyros or Genos or PSR-S keyboards have created their own databases of songs, and some of them have shared their databases on the web, so if you're talking about some database of that nature which you've seen on some web site then I think you should be able to edit the database to change the MIDI data so it applies to your particular keyboard's list of available voices, although I can't say for sure since I never got A Round Tuit. :roll:

(3) Your last question is tricky to answer, because many Yamaha keyboards let you control the playback of a style by sending MIDI SysEx messages to the keyboard-- messages that select a particular style, select a particular tempo, select a particular section and variation ("Intro A," "Main B," "Fill In AB," "Ending B," etc.), and select a particular musical key and chord type. Unfortunately, the DGX-660 is one of Yamaha's "XGlite" models-- as are all of the PSR-E keyboards that I own-- and as far as I've been able to determine the XGlite models don't respond to the same style-related MIDI SysEx events as the PSR-S, Tyros, and Genos, nor do they have MIDI settings which let you assign an incoming MIDI channel for controlling style playback. But the XGlite models do have MIDI messages that are used to control the style playback when you're recording a User Song with the onboard Song Recorder, except those MIDI messages are a type ("Sequencer-Specific Meta Events") which cannot be transmitted via a MIDI connection; they can only be executed from within a MIDI song file. It's conceivable that the XGlite models do have style-related MIDI SysEx messages that they'll respond to, if only we could figure out what system addresses and parameter values to specify. But in the meantime, the simplest way to do what you're asking might be to create your own backing file by recording a User Song where you play the desired style with the desired chord progressions. Then you can play back the User Song and play along with it. But if you don't specifically need to use your keyboard's internal styles then you should be able to easily create your own backings with "Band in a Box" or similar software.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”