FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Differences within A3 series

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

XavWoo Ireland

Differences within A3 series

Unread post by XavWoo »

Hi all,

I am considering buying AC3R, but there seems to be 2 versions (SRT and SRT2)

Setup 1:

Setup 2:

Are both setups A.R.E.? From my searching, it looks like setup 2 is the A.R.E. only, but I rather ask. I want to get a natural finish look, but it seems like there is no natural finish for setup 2 variant.

If only setup 2 is A.R.E. which one would you suggest to get? I don't really plan playing it through an amp, and I played the A.R.E. version and love the sound. Does A.R.E. make a big difference?

Thanks a mil,
Xav
Mimasu Netherlands

Re: Differences within A3 series

Unread post by Mimasu »

Hi Xav,

Played a lot of Yamaha's at this years Musikmesse in Frankfurt, including some ARE guitars and some not ARE guitars. I think the difference is not very important. I sometimes think the variation within one type of guitar can be bigger then the ARE or not ARE thing.

The second generation A3R is also available in natural, at least overhere in the Netherlands. The first generation was reviewed very good becourse of the SRT preamp, but I never understood why you would modelate an acoustic sound in a good acoustic guitar. But OK, that's just MHO. The 2nd generation is offered here for far lower prices the 1st gen was originally sold for. Weird.

I don't know where you're from but overhere at the moment you can buy first gen A3R's relatively cheap. I also would consider buy one second hand. And as you say you don't plan to play through an amp, forget about the STR thing and just buy what'sfeeling good and sounds good.

Good luck
Leon
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Xav, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I must admit I was not as impressed with SRT or SRT2 as some people but then I don't think any built in preamp does a particularly good job at reproducing the true acoustic tone of the guitar. The best ones are where a piezo pickup is combined with a internal condenser mic but there are not many guitars that use that sort of system. In any case you said you did not intend to plug the guitar into an amp so probably doesn't make a lot of difference in your buying decision?

Now as for A.R.E (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement) that is a slightly different matter and yes it does make a difference but...and it's an important "but", all that A.R.E is really doing is giving you a shortcut to the sort of sound an non A.R.E solid build guitar would give you anyway over time and personally I kind of like the whole "playing in" part of buying a new guitar :)

The AC3R though is one of my favourite Yamaha acoustics and I don't think you would be disappointed no matter which version you went for :) Oh and by the way...Yamaha won't thank me for this but if you can, also check out the Eastman AC222CE-OV. It's similar in sound to the AC3R and I think you might like it :)
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Mimasu Netherlands

Unread post by Mimasu »

At the moment some of the last older type A3R's go for low prices, even new:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-A3R-E-Ak ... SwkvFacKat

I think at introduction they were over 1000 euro.

Leon
XavWoo Ireland

Unread post by XavWoo »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. Leon thanks for the link, I've already went with 2nd hand AC3R. I didn't want a dreadnought guitar, wanted to go with something a tad smaller. I found one on reverb from France, made an offer and got a nice deal on it. Looks to be in excellent condition, so decided to give that a go. Fingers crossed

Saul, I had a look at the Eastman, looks great, watched some review and it sounds nice too, but I already had my mind set on Yamaha :)

All at the end, great advice from both of you, I really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Now, that I have that time to pick up some new strings for it. Any advice there? I'm thinking about D’Addario EJ16, I want a warm balanced sound.

Xav
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

I think you will love that AC3R, do keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Strings? I nearly always use Elixir Nanoweb but I have a load of Rotosound strings here at the moment so am going to test those and see how it goes.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Mimasu Netherlands

Unread post by Mimasu »

D'addario EJ26 on all my acoustics :D

Leon
XavWoo Ireland

Unread post by XavWoo »

Cheers lads, I'd say I'll go with EJ26, a bit cheaper, will test them out, and probably will give another look in couple of months. I want to find the perfect set for me, so having some reference is a good start :D

Will keep you updated with the progress on the guitar, hope it will come in one piece!