Best live act you've seen this year

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Best live act you've seen this year

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Besides being a collector of vintage Yamaha guitars I love going to concerts and festivals.

I still have some to go for the rest of the year but I thought it would be a good idea to share what I saw he past year up to now and add a kind of rating (1 to 10). You might find some bands a little old but just realize I'm 58 :lol:

I'll skip the Dutch bands you all don't know. Here we go:

Young Gun Silver Fox (8)
Tower of power (7)
Rufus Wainwright (8)
John Hiatt @ the Goners (incl Sonny Landreth) (8)
John Hiatt @ the Goners again (festival) (7)
Steve Earle @ the Dukes (9)
Live (7)
A Ha (5)
Billy Idol (6)
Paul Carrack (8)
Jonathan Jeremiah (8)
The Mavericks (7)
Simple Minds (6)
Venice (7)
King KIng (9)
Lucas Nelson (9)
Particle Kid (8)

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the real was the band backing Neil Young on his latest tour. Say them with Neil Young but they don't need Neil to sound great. Lukas Nelson (son of) has a great future ahead.

Let us know which great live acts you've seen the past year :D

Leon
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best live act you've seen this year

Unread post by Saul » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 pm

The only ones I am familiar with from that list are Rufus Wainwright, Steve Earle, A Ha, Billy Idol, The Mavericks and Simple Minds.

Don't get out to see bands much these days. If there is something local I will check it out. Plenty of great talent in this part of the country, especially in and around Brighton.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 am

Definitely 'Patrice', I didn't know him at all, saw him at a festival and was very pleasantly surprised, his live shows are teeming with energy and he's a very talented singer and musician.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Bart-Williams
Some song examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34eAX7g6A1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govCrtScs-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qHImBhf2Y

Others that I enjoyed:

Natalia Doco (also very talented, and quite a cutie 8) ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Doco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKeQNaF0bC8

Flavia Coelho (live she sounds very different than on youtube, full of Brazilian energy, which doesn't come across in her recordings)
https://www.flaviacoelhomusic.com/

Also saw a concert of Alpha Blondy, but that unfortunately was a disappointment, he seemed to just go through the motions, maybe he had a bad day. :(
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Nobody else saw any live music this year?
I can't believe that you are all couch potatoes. ;) :P
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

tux,

Perhaps they aren't couch potatoes but just reluctant to tell. But don't be afraid..... your musical taste will not leave this forum 8) .

I checked out your links. Good to hear music from ouside my comfort zone. Sometimes I see this kind of music passing by in the Netherlands. Mainly on little festivals and alternative stages.

Leon
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:49 pm

This 'Best live act you've seen this year' topic started in 2018.

But I think It's not to soon to choose my best live acts for 2019 already :D .

It was a fantastic week: saw John Mayer on thursday, and Brad paisley on friday. Almost too much for a humble guitar player like me.

I think is was about the sixt time I saw Mayer. Some were good, some better, up to now 1 was fantastic. Seems John is having more fun on some evenings. Last thursday in Amsterdam was ten best one I've seeen till now. About 2,5 hours playing time. Seems his playing gets better by the year.

Then Paisley on Friday. Incredible. Not the songwriter Mayer is, nor the singer Mayer is, and his acoustic playing is so so, ....... but that guitarplaying on his tele's :shock: . And it looks completely effortless. He changes guitars faster than tyres on a F1 car. Starts singing a new song with the old one around his shoulder, while singing he changes guitars, and about 0.1 second befor the first note to be played the guitar is hanging to go.

So for 2019 Mayer and Paisley on 1 and 2.

Two candidates for 2020 already on their way: managed to get tickets for Clapton in Amsterdam and for Keith Urban's world tour.

Leon
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Stop to consider for a moment that some people cannot go to live music venues anymore due to tinnitus. I can't go because of the risks to my hearing. Live music venues invariably have everything up way too loud and at this stage of my life I need to preserve what hearing I have left. Also one of the main reasons I no longer go to the cinema or use headphones very often.

Imagine for a moment those times you have been to see a band and come out from the venue with your ears ringing? I have that all the time and any high or sudden increase in volume levels makes it worse...but it then never goes away. I definitely do not want it any worse than it is now!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Sadly all true - and very real . . . .

As you may remember Saul, my studio manager at the Uni developed tinitus and indeed was already wearing a hearing aid when I

first joined the Department. He was understandably uncomfortable with this - as it's NOT seemly for an Audio-Engineer to be seen

wearing a hearing aid . . .

As time went by, he used to ask me about "noises" and "levels" happening as part of our "work".

He now has a very expensive Cochleal implant, but is having to "Re-learn" HOW to interpret Sound . . . .

. . . . as it is wired directly to the BRAIN . . :o

I'm happy to say that when I visited him last, I WAS able to have a conversation with him across a table, provided he could see my

mouth move, as he needs to enhance what he believes he's heard, with visual lip-reading, for confirmation . . . .

Telephone is still not really possible - so Tinitus CAN become a seriously Life-changing issue . . . .

ALSO, very sadly, listening to Music is a closed door to him, which he finds understandable DEVASTATING :(

He cites close-and-prolonged contact with Rock Gigs as the Primary cause . . . .

Thing is, when you are young and carefree, you just DON'T believe it matters . . . .

. . . . close your mouth, pinch your nose and BLOW, and your ears will POP back to normal . . . .

I remember from the Cream Farewell Concert back in '69 at the RAH . . . .

Both Eric and Jack's Guitars were plugged into TWO 200W Marshall Stacks EACH, using a split lead, and standing maybe 10' away from them . . .

Ginger's Drums had the same - and then there was the Vocal PA . . .

THAT was a LOUD Gig . . . .

I fear for the youngsters in their cars waiting at the Lights outside my property with their after-market Stereos at full-bore,

such that I can listen in my kitchen . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Guys,

I know you're talking about serious problems. And I don't wan't to play them down. But I have very good hope, as far as it's playing loud music and going to concerts, it's a problem of our generation.

I've been doing things in the music business since 1978. Since 1985 I'm working as a acoustic consultant for one of the biggest firms in Europe in that field. The last 10 years mainly in the entertainment business. Working for major organisers and helping build venues.

As part of my work I've done hundreds of noise measurements over the years during concerts etc. I don't know what the situation is at your side of the water, but overhere in Holland the noise levels have decreased with at least 5 to 10 dB(A) over the last 30 years. And yes, due to better PA's etc the low end didn't go down that much but that's not where than main concern for hearing damage is.

When I startet making music myself and started visiting concerts in the early 80'ies, there were noise levels up to 105 dB(A) in the croud and nobody had hearing protection. I have a habit to take measurements on almost every event I go (yes I know, it's occupational deformation). Nowadays noise levels at the serious venues in Holland at rock, pop etc, are about 95 to max 100 dB(A). I'm working at a few big dance events every year and all technicians, sound engineers etc are wearing noise protection. In those early 80'ies nobody did.

And yes, there is still is some danger in sometimes ridiculous noise levels in cars, when using headphones etc. And sometimes even some ridiculous noise levels at concerts, but on average we're doing better than 30 years ago. Overhere besides common sense it's based on agreements between organisers, venues and the governement.

You might have noticed I do a lot of concerts, both occupational and as a hobby, and yes, every now and then it still is much to loud.

Leon
User avatar United States of America
shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 pm

The closest thing to a live performance is by Jaxson, my 6 old grandson, performing a TV preschool number, followed by some innovative dance moves and an enlivened wiggly backside. Actually, he has a really nice voice. I could totally see him as a performer someday. I have a junior-sized guitar waiting for him when he's ready.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Hey Shelly, congrats on 100 posts! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 pm

hahaha! :lol: 100 mind-numbing posts. You guys are patient with me.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:24 pm

+1 on that Shel . . . . .

I gather WE have got your attention . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've been engaging with us to help guide you to where you want to be . . . . and THAT makes us happy. ((i))

(You know where we are . . . . ) :D

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:03 am

I have definitely been on the receiving end and I really appreciate it. :)

Return to “Chill Out Room”