Would a YPG-235/DPG-230 work with a Proteus 2 Orchestral?

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

robkoz
United States of America

Re: Would a YPG-235/DPG-230 work with a Proteus 2 Orchestral?

Unread post by robkoz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Wow. Ok I now I totally see the misunderstanding on our part of the whole setup!

Here's the video that my son saw that led us to believe the sounds came from the Yamaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvCuXOyry8

So I'll focus on this & go from there. Thank you!
you'll need to connect an audio cable from the audio output jack of the Proteus to the AUX IN jack of the computer
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Well, the keyboard that's being used in that video is a Roland, not a Yamaha YPG-235. But more to the point, I don't see any built-in speakers on that keyboard-- at least, it doesn't have any speaker grilles that I can see-- so the sounds must be coming from external speakers. And even if it did have built-in speakers as the YPG-235 does, it might not have a stereo AUX IN jack, or pair of L/R AUDIO IN jacks, or other means (such as USB audio) of playing an external audio source through the built-in speakers.

For example, the PSR-EW300, PSR-EW400, and PSR-EW410 have AUX IN jacks as well as USB audio, so you would be able to play the sounds coming from the Proteus through their built-in speakers. Those aren't the only Yamaha models which could do that, but the other models have 61 keys rather than 76 keys, so I listed the ones that have the same number of keys as the YPG-235 (although they are different types of keys-- synth-action diving board keys versus piano-action box keys). The PSR-EW400 or PSR-EW410 would be the closest to the YPG-235 in that they both have a Pitch Bend wheel like the YPG-235 does, whereas the PSR-EW300 does not.

The simplest solution would be to play the sounds from the Proteus through the computer's speakers, unless you have a stereo system that you could connect it to. You would need an appropriate stereo cable or pair of mono cables, plus any special adapters as needed, depending on the types of jacks which the Proteus has and which the computer or stereo system has.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26 pm

robkoz wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm
Wow. Ok I now I totally see the misunderstanding on our part of the whole setup!

Here's the video that my son saw that led us to believe the sounds came from the Yamaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvCuXOyry8

So I'll focus on this & go from there. Thank you!
you'll need to connect an audio cable from the audio output jack of the Proteus to the AUX IN jack of the computer

If your computer doesn't have an aux-in jack, like SeaGtGruff said, you would need to connect the outputs of the Proteus to external speakers. Depending on the speakers, you may have to get some cable adapters. If you have a stereo receiver and a set of speakers, and the receiver has a set of AUX ins or Tape In or RCA In inputs, you can get a set of TS to RCA cables, or one dual set. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-202-Ste ... V&th=1list. If you want to connect the YPG to the speakers as well, or connect other sources in, as SeaGtGruff said, you would want a mixer. I recommend one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... SMEALw_wcB. You can connect up to three stereo sources to it and output them combined to your receiver vie the mentioned cables, or to a set of powered speakers with the XLR or TS cords.

Hope this helps.
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 pm

SeaGtGruff wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 pm
...depending on the types of jacks which the Proteus has...
The Proteus 2 has three sets of stereo 1/4" outs (main, sub 1, sub 2), and Midi 5-pin DIN In, Out, and Thru. And the power plug port.
robkoz
United States of America

Unread post by robkoz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Currently I have his stereo headphones plugged into the Proteus stereo port.

The hardware is all connected, it's the Reaper program I need to learn.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 am

I have REAPER, but it isn't my main DAW and I haven't gotten up to speed on it yet, so I'll take a look at it later to see if I can give you any pointers on how to set it up. This will be a good excuse for me to learn that for myself, since I did pay for a license. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
robkoz
United States of America

Unread post by robkoz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Reaper sees the Yamaha & the Mio midi. I can play the Yamaha & the reaper sees it.

Changed the Yamaha PC setting to keyboard out. Still nothing from the Proteus.

Missing something in the setting of Reaper and/or the Proteus.
robkoz
United States of America

Unread post by robkoz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Finally figured it out! It took me a month but after help from this forum, the Reaper forum & their video on Virtual keyboard it was only one setting that held me back this whole time. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/--awCCl5gE4

Thanks for all your help!
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 am

Glad you got it finally sorted Rob . . . . .

That Reacontrolmidi plugin is very useful . . . .

I like Reaper a LOT. It is SO customisable, well conceived and well supported. I'm on my second paid licence and will

certainly stump up when the next is due.

Be sure to check out the videos in the Reaper Forum Header - by Kenny Gioia . . . . . They are SO well done.

Sometimes hard to locate the one that deals with what you are looking for, but just watching them sparks off ideas . . . .

Its hard to believe that such a tiny download contains so many plugins . . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”