Proud owner of MODX 8

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

d2ba
New Zealand

Proud owner of MODX 8

Unread post by d2ba » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 am

I have the MODX 88 key flagship --apparently I was first retail customer in the world that took possession

20180916_115652[1].jpg
20180916_115652[1].jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Last edited by Buzzard on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: turning picture up right.
d2ba
New Zealand

Re: Proud owner of MODX 8

Unread post by d2ba » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:19 am

Price was NZ$2999 (UK1499) MODX8 or NZ$2150 (UK1075) MODX6
Was intending to buy the 61 Key but fell in love with the 88 and liked the fact it was twice its weight and felt a lot more solid and no way cheap.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:38 am

Congratulations! First in the world-- that's quite something! :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:51 am

Hi d2ba, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

First in the world to own a retail MODX8, that's quite an accolade and thanks for sharing your news here on the forum ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

I have the MODX8 here along with the MODX7. Normally with keyboards I would go for the 61 key version but with the MODX I think I would probably lean toward the MODX7. It has the same keybed as the MOXF which is fine and I like the feel of.

The MODX8 has Yamaha's GHS weighted keys and it it really nice to play. For anyone learning piano I think it would be an ideal choice, especially given the low price coupled with all the other powerful elements of the MODX series.

Don't forget to download the Bosendorfer Grand Imperial from the yamahamusicsoft.com website when you get time. For me it is my preferred piano over the CFX that is included with the MODX out of the box but of course that is a personal preference :)
See here for more details: viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11655
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
d2ba
New Zealand

Unread post by d2ba » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks Saul in New Zealand they only had the MODX6 and MODX8 available. My personal feeling on the MODX6 is the board felt too light at 6kg and a little flimsy --the MODX8 at 13.8KG felt like a flagship ---it is wider too than MODX6 and MODX7 at 400mm vs 330mm
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 am

Congrats, I am sure you will find it quite a machine for the price. Do let us know how you get on with it.

I spy some Kronos keyboards in the background of your picture....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm

d2ba wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am
Thanks Saul in New Zealand they only had the MODX6 and MODX8 available. My personal feeling on the MODX6 is the board felt too light at 6kg and a little flimsy --the MODX8 at 13.8KG felt like a flagship ---it is wider too than MODX6 and MODX7 at 400mm vs 330mm
Yeah I know what you mean. The MODX8 has a more "substantial" feel about it. At the same time it is easy to move around :)

Quite an incredible feat on Yamaha's part that they managed to get stock into dealers all over the world before launch and with hardly anyone in the public arena knowing about it! massive kudos to them for that ((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
theaudioeng

Unread post by theaudioeng » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 pm

You have a one-way ticket to smug city face there d2ba!!! I'm jealous of course .... 😪 Congrats on your MODX8!

I was hoping (still am, really....) that Yam would develop & release a contemporary digital Ex5/r VA without the 'V' of course now so pure analogue engine inside - that would be the bomb!!! 💣
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 pm

theaudioeng wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 pm

I was hoping (still am, really....) that Yam would develop & release a contemporary digital Ex5/r VA without the 'V' of course now so pure analogue engine inside - that would be the bomb!!! 💣
I gave up on that a long time ago, and unless Yamaha have a few tricks up their sleeve, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't think there is much of a mass market for a deep programmable synth, which is why we get products like the Montage, which are great products, but we can get to choose "what icing we put on our cake" via boutique synths or VSTis. I pair a Montage and a Kronos with UH-E Zebra, DIVA and HIVE (which is quite AN1x like in character, or at least I am getting one of my favourite AN1x sounds out of it, hopefully more will follow) and Omnisphere. This mix and match approach is I think the future, and when you think about it, that was the way of the world in the 70s. Integrated keyboards were a pipe dream....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 pm

theaudioeng wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 pm
You have a one-way ticket to smug city face there d2ba!!! I'm jealous of course .... 😪 Congrats on your MODX8!

First up a warm welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

My initial thoughts were that any form or new EX5 is just not going to happen but then I also though Yamaha would never get something like the MODX out the door and they have. Maybe they are starting a new trend in surprising us so I guess it's "never say never" and all that (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

d2ba
New Zealand

Unread post by d2ba » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm

One trick I think Yamaha missed is ---the MODX6 should have been a 128 Voice FM only synth (no AWM2)
and the MODX7 and MODX8 left the same as they are now.
Your Pop/rock/classical players would go for the 7 and 8 and your Electronic/IDM players would go for the MODX6
the MODX6 would have sold by the truckload I'm convinced and maybe be the most important synth Yamaha have released ever.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I don't think having 64 voice polyphony for the FM side of things is limiting. The original DX7 only had 16 voice polyphony and look what people managed to do with that :)

The mix of AWM2 and FM-X makes it a powerful and creative keyboard for all sorts of music. The vast majority of people buying keyboard are not sound designers so producing a single 128 voice FM synth would not be economically viable and most people would not buy such a keyboard. I certainly wouldn't and no one I know would. The FS1r didn't exactly fly off the shelves and was cut after just 12 months. By the way that beast of an FM synth was just 16/32 voice depending how you used it.

That isn't to say that such a thing as a 128 voice FM synth would not be great but Yamaha are a business and not only do their keyboards need to sound good they also need to be financially sound too.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

ZT Scheer
United States of America

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm
I don't think having 64 voice polyphony for the FM side of things is limiting. The original DX7 only had 16 voice polyphony and look what people managed to do with that :) ...
Agreed. It's like having FOUR DX7s in a box, for (MODX6) $700 less than the original ... plus all sorts of other good stuff.

Not much to be unhappy about. It would be nice if there were a decent sequencer onboard (ala Roland FA or Korg Krome), but you have to respect Yamaha's right to forge their own path. Integration w/ iOS devices, PC & Mac is very good ... which probably addresses all concerns in this area.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 pm

ZT Scheer wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm
Agreed. It's like having FOUR DX7s in a box, for (MODX6) $700 less than the original ... plus all sorts of other good stuff.

Not much to be unhappy about. It would be nice if there were a decent sequencer onboard (ala Roland FA or Korg Krome), but you have to respect Yamaha's right to forge their own path. Integration w/ iOS devices, PC & Mac is very good ... which probably addresses all concerns in this area.
That's the thing. People are making comparisons with the DX7 or Montage without first taking into account the price and the amazing functions the MODX has for that price.

Look at the original DX7. It was around £1495 when it came out in 1983. In todays money that equates to an eye watering £5023.2 8O

So as you rightly pointed out, you are getting four DX7's (but 8 op not 6) plus easier programming, better processing, better connectivity, a fantastic user interface PLUS a great sounding AWM2 synth with 128 note polyphony and so much more. All for how much? £1049 if you go for the MODX6. Now THAT is staggering value for money! What on earth are people complaining about?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”