Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: The Yamaha MODX Sequencer - Performance Recorder

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 am

Hi Maxx, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

Personally I tend to keep all my recording very simple so I tend not to run into the issues many find with recording into a DAW. I also use Logic Pro X as well as Presonus Artist and various other DAW's depending on what is needed (testing software). What I don't use however is Cubase. For whatever reason it is a very problematic DAW on my Mac so I gave up trying to force it to work and moved on.

So getting down to what it is you want to do, probably the main issue is there is no dedicated DAW function on the MODX which I think the addition of would solve a lot of the problems people are encountering. Quite why Yamaha have not yet introduced it for the MODX when they did add it to Montage through it's latest firmware update is a mystery but, I am sure it will arrive in the not too distant future.

Can you let us know exactly what you are trying to do? Maybe list it in bullet points? We will all do our best to help if we can.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:53 am

DeathFly wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

How could they not have added at least one simple quantization function? Year 2018, can not believe. :o
Yamaha have never called it a 'Sequencer' and they don't view it as such which is why many of the important normal sequencer functions are not present.

It is not like Yamaha promised something and then didn't deliver it. All this was known about Montage ages ago and obviously with MODX being a version of Montage the same would apply.

There IS an issue around why there is no dedicated DAW mode on the MODX which perhaps one would expect to see given it's lack of a fully featured on-board sequencer but Yamaha did add that to Montage in the last update so I am confident they will also add it to the MODX.

We really do need to move away from blaming Yamaha for not implementing a fully fledged sequencer on a keyboard that was never intended to have one from the start and which Yamaha made no claims about.

When all of us are buying a new keyboard we look to see which one provides all or most of the features we want. We also look at the compromises and ask if we can work with them. If an on-board sequencer or lack of one is a deal breaker then clearly, do not buy that keyboard right?

There is of course nothing to say that Yamaha won't implement a more fully featured sequencer at some point down the road but right now, it is what it is.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
anotherscott
United States of America

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 am
probably the main issue is there is no dedicated DAW function on the MODX...Quite why Yamaha have not yet introduced it for the MODX when they did add it to Montage through it's latest firmware update is a mystery
The Montage implementation makes extensive use of all the hardware controls on the Montage, which simply don't exist on the MODX. This could mean that a direct port of the same functionality wouldn't have worked on a MODX, or that it would have worked poorly. So they could be working on a more MODX-specific approach. (Hopefully not leaving the functionality off the MODX entirely.)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm

There are many other boards out there with less functionality than the MODX but still have a DAW function. I doubt with Yamaha's extensive resources it would be too much of a stretch to put a DAW option on the MODX. They have other reasons for not doing it out of the box.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

anotherscott
United States of America

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 pm
There are many other boards out there with less functionality than the MODX but still have a DAW function. I doubt with Yamaha's extensive resources it would be too much of a stretch to put a DAW option on the MODX. They have other reasons for not doing it out of the box.
I wasn't saying that the MODX could not have a DAW function, only that it's possible that--even though MODX is all derived from Montage--it couldn't have the same DAW function that has recently been added to the Montage. (i.e. in response to your comment "Quite why Yamaha have not yet introduced it for the MODX when they did add it to Montage through it's latest firmware update is a mystery"). It was only added to Montage about 3 months ago, and that particular Montage implementation may not have been so easy to directly transfer to the MODX. Hopefully some variant is coming.
deano7000
Australia

Unread post by deano7000 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 am

d2ba wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm
Can i use it to record incoming midi not from the keyboard but from a midi track on my DAW ?
Thanks in advance
This appears to still be an open question. It would be great to be able to record songs in the DAW then load them into the MODX for live playback. I've asked this question in other places in the forum but still haven't heard if anyone's tried this yet.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Well I just tried it with a midi track in Logic Pro X going into the MODX and it didn't work. However I should point out that I am not a MIDI expert and it could be something I had set wrong. I can though hear the midi track through the headphones on the MODX. I will give it another try later, perhaps using a different DAW and see how we get on.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

All I will point out on this Saul, is that the board being driven from a DAW, probably needs to be in SONG mode

or equivalent, in order for it to respond to midi data on multiple channels.

In addition, the sequence being played, needs to KNOW where the required voices/performances ARE,

inside the board, and the various TRACKS in the DAW correctly set up to SEND to those locations on those channels . .

If the midi file being played is GM or XG - or other supported format - it might be largely sorted out without intervention.

You might NEED to load an instrument definition file (IDF) for the board being driven . . . .

This should be a download from Yamaha.

If using Cubase - I would expect that IDFs for most Yamaha Boards to be included :confusion-confused:

THIS file tells the DAW, WHERE the voices are INSIDE the instrument . . . .

(The ID File will of course only have details of the default ROM content of the board.

Where the user can add Banks themselves (and wish to access them via a DAW), then the IDF would

need to (and can be) edited to include these.)

An example is my Alesis Fusion - which can have Gbs of additional Banks added by the User

Perhaps that helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”