Recording DGX-660 voices to Cubase Elements

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Doggoo
United States of America

Recording DGX-660 voices to Cubase Elements

Unread post by Doggoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Yamaha DGX 660.png
I have a DGX-660 Digital Grand Piano connected via USB to a Windows PC with Cubase Elements 9.5. (I am new to DAW software.) I want to record tracks from the DGX, with DGX voices, into Cubase. The application "sees" the piano, but as MIDI data. So, no DGX voices.

(According to the Yamaha manual, installing the Steinberg USB Driver will allow audio data to be transmitted from the Yamaha to the PC. I have installed the latest version of the driver, but Cubase Elements 9.5 will not allow me to select it within the application ("Cannot open selected something")

There is also in Cubase a place to specify "send only data over ASIO ports" and I have checked that, but I still cannot hear any of the voices on the DGX-660.

Any assistance would be welcomed.
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Re: Recording DGX-660 voices to Cubase Elements

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 am

What do you have the audio input/output set to? Try going to Studio Setup (under Studio), then VST Audio System, then choose from the top drop down menu. The DGX should be listed there, or it might be listed as a USB interface. If it asks you if you want to change the audio routing, select yes. That should work. Unless you have already tried that and that is where you get the error about not being able to open something.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:37 am

Hi doggoo, and welcome to the Forums . . . .

Yamaha/Steinberg Drivers are famous for being very picky about PRECISELY how they are installed.

I would deinstall the current driver and start over . . .

In particular, pay attention to the ORDER things are done . . . . .

especially WHEN to switch on the DGX, when to install the driver.

If this is not done right, Cubase won't see the DGX properly. . . .

I don't personally use Cubase, but can say that Reaper offers alternative settings for the "Ports" . . .

For instance, the Midi aspect can be set for Midi, or Midi+data . . .

The +data aspect means that control changes can be transmitted AS WELL as midi note info . . .

I'm guessing that a similar arrangement exists for Audio too . . . .

I reckon that once you have the Driver correctly installed, Cubase will SEE the DGX and the rest should be straight forward.

There are Cubase users in here who can doubtless explain this better than me . . I'm sure someone will be right along . . :wink:

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Doggoo
United States of America

Unread post by Doggoo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Mighty Motif Max wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 am
What do you have the audio input/output set to? Try going to Studio Setup (under Studio), then VST Audio System, then choose from the top drop down menu. The DGX should be listed there, or it might be listed as a USB interface. If it asks you if you want to change the audio routing, select yes. That should work. Unless you have already tried that and that is where you get the error about not being able to open something.
Hi Max,
Thanks for your suggestions. 1.The Cubase Elements installation manual does not mention anything about order of operations when installing the Steinberg Driver and the Cubase Elements package. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Steinberg driver anyway 2. In VST Audio System, the DGX is indeed listed there as "portable grand". It is set to GENERIC LOW LATENCY ASIO DRIVER. For VST System Link, the box is checked for USE SELECTION ASIO PORTS FOR DATA ONLY 3. I do not see any mention of "audio routing" per se 4. When I play a note on the DGX keyboard, it triggers a VST Piano in Cubase (not what I want, I simply want to add a track to a project in Cubase with the DGX as the input, using the DGX voices. 5. Although I have forgotten which panel it is, when I try to specify the Steinberg ASIO driver, it says "could not open selection". And so on.
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Ok, I can't test right now, perhaps tonight. But you might try unchecking Use Selection ASIO Ports for Data Only 3. That might be keeping the audio from passing through. I see you have already tried without it, so I'm not sure if it will make any difference, but that setting might only be complicating things. I will check with my stuff tonight. Are there any other options besides the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver in the VST Audio System?

Found this on the Yamaha website. Not sure if you have already looked at it: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... _rm_m0.pdf.
Last edited by Mighty Motif Max on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 pm

The USB-MIDI driver for Windows is available on this page: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... loads.html
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:19 pm

I thought the DGX-660 doesn't have a built-in USB audio interface? I'll check the manual later to verify that, but as far as I know you'll need to connect the DGX-660 to the computer via a stereo TRS audio cable.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 pm

You know, I can't prove that it does or not. It can record audio to a usb flash drive. Yamaha has a separate pdf in the downloads section that references audio over usb, but then doesn't list the 660 as having it. I don't know. I was assuming that it can.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 am

I looked at the Owner's Manual and didn't see anything in the text or specs indicating that it does, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The way to record audio externally is to connect a 1/4" stereo TRS cable to the PHONES/OUTPUT jack and from there to the computer-- or to an external USB audio interface and then to the computer.

Most of Yamaha's keyboards (arrangers) don't have built-in USB audio interfaces like the synths do. As of the last two or three years the new PSR-E models have built-in USB audio interfaces, but so far none of the PSR-S or other arrangers have that yet-- including the DGX, which is a digital grand with arranger capabilities.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Home Studio”