Steinberg UR22mkII Production Pack

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Steinberg UR22mkII Production Pack

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 am

I see that the new bundle includes Cubase Artist. Does it come with a dongle, or do you need to purchase one separately?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Steinberg UR22mkII Production Pack

Unread post by Saul » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I didn't see any mention of a dongle so I would assume they are using the same eLicenser system used on most of their recent software packages

The UR22mkII comes with Cubase Artist 9.5, WaveLab Elements 9.5 and Cubasis LE 2 which of course is a multi-touch sequencer app for recording, editing and mixing on the iPad.

Other things in the box apart from the UR22mkII interface itself are the ST-M01 studio condenser microphone and ST-H01 studio monitor headphones

I already have a Presonus AidioBox iTwo which can be used mobile and powered by the iPad otherwise I might have given the UR22 a look. Might still be worth checking out though :)
UR22mkII-Production Pack.png
UR22mkII-Production Pack.png (403.71 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 am

Cubase Artist requires the USB dongle (eLicenser). I checked Steinberg's website after I posted and it says that the dongle is usually included when you buy Cubase as "new" software but is usually not included when you buy Cubase as an "update." I'm guessing that for the Production Pack bundle Cubase is considered to be "new" software and the dongle would therefore be included, but it would be nice to know for sure. Not that I expect to purchase it anytime soon, but I was curious since I currently have Cubase Elements which does not require the dongle, so if I ever upgrade to Cubase Artist I'd need to get the dongle-- and the Production Pack looks like it might be a great deal as far as everything that's included.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 am

It does actually include the USB Dongle although quite why they insist on that antiquated method of software licensing is a mystery.

Full content list is as follows:

The UR22mkII Production Pack includes the following:

• UR22mkII hardware unit
• TOOLS for UR22mkII CD-ROM
• USB cable
• UR22mkII getting started (brochure)
• Condenser microphone ST-M01
• Microphone mount
• Studio monitor headphones ST-H01
• XLR cable
• USB-eLicenser
• Essential Product License Information Sheet for Cubase Artist 9.5 with download access code
• Essential Product License Information Sheet for WaveLab Elements 9.5 with download access code
• Cubasis LE download information paper sheet
• UR22mkII Recording Pack leaflet
• Personal certificate of donation to Joint Aid Management

Pricing in the EU is approx €399 incl 19% German VAT.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:46 am

We were forced along that route at the Uni - whether it was ProTools or not, I can't remember, but we had to buy iLoks®.

All the applicable application licenses for ONE computer on ONE iLok.

I spent some time devising a way of LOCKING the iLoks INSIDE the Macs, so they could not be stolen.

MOBOs tend NOT to have USB sockets on them - internally. . . .

So our Macs were kept in padlocked cages . . . . . REALLY convenient for maintenance and tech support . . . :roll:

I don't know if it's still true - but, if you lost the iLok or had it stolen - you had Lost your software - NO replacements!

The ONLY situation you could get replacements was if there was a fault with the iLok, - which iLok® would need to verify.

So, all in all, a HATEFUL System. Paying out - to protect the manuafacturer's SW . . . .

I was GLAD to leave THAT behind . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah I think you are right Chris it was Pro tools. What a complete pain in the ass all that was!

With Steinberg I understand of course they need to protect their ip but it has been hacked so many times already it is completely pointless to inconvenience with this old system. It does nothing to deter hackers and everything to annoy the paying customer.

Anyone who uses Cubase on a regular basis will have most likely bought the software and was happy to do so. It means you get support from Steinberg and regular updates whereas with a pirated version you get no updates, no support and most likely will have allowed a hacker to stick a back door trojan onto your computer. So there is a very good case for scrapping the whole dongle, eLicenser approach and moving into the 21st century :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Home Studio”