Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
TBKreuz

Re: Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Unread post by TBKreuz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:37 pm

After owning a MODX for a month and starting to work on creating my own performances, I am finding that it would be very helpful if the results of the automations (via Mod/Control with-or-without Motion Sequence) were actually reflected real-time in the display of the targeted parameter(s). Something akin to that would remove a lot of the vagueness in exactly how a given Curve Type, Ratio, Speed, Amplitude, Sequence, etc. is shaping the resultant automation (beyond what you discern with your ears).
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:54 pm

TBKreuz wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:37 pm
After owning a MODX for a month and starting to work on creating my own performances, I am finding that it would be very helpful if the results of the automations (via Mod/Control with-or-without Motion Sequence) were actually reflected real-time in the display of the targeted parameter(s). Something akin to that would remove a lot of the vagueness in exactly how a given Curve Type, Ratio, Speed, Amplitude, Sequence, etc. is shaping the resultant automation (beyond what you discern with your ears).
This would be a good one to post as an idea on yamahasynth.ideascale.com !

I think the new Roland Fantom has some of that display functionality you mention, whereby curves, etc. change shape on the screen as you modify settings ... Yamaha are checking here for ideas, but I know for certain they are definitely checking their ideascale site, as at least two different Yamaha reps confirmed this in another forum recently...
And Yamaha are probably looking even more closely now at the new Roland Fantom and checking ideascale & forums like this more closely to see which features on the Roland that Montage/MODX users would most like to see in a future OS update. If enough people agree on certain ideas and 'Up Vote' them on ideascale, Yamaha will likely be looking & considering them more now than ever, if they pertain to something the Roland has!!

I think they want their next big OS update to be something they can promote, create some new hype, and say "our Montage/MODX can now also do what the new Roland Fantom does, but in addition only our synths can do *this*"! But also they will want to say and show that they are listening to our ideas and have implemented some of the best ones in the new OS update! :wink:
User avatar Hungary
Laximus

Unread post by Laximus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:53 pm

When I am designing sounds in AWM2 and/or in FMX, many times I want the same settings for different elements/operators but only on specific parameters. Would be great to set those oper/osc and make the settings together at the same time, while other parameters and/or oscillators just to leave as they are? It's a bit annoying to do the same settings all the time to each elem/op. Would be good just to set/check the elements where I want to change parameters, and making the settings at once. Hope you understand what I mean. Also would be better graphical knobs or sliders for amp/filter envelope, would be much more easier to use like with this numeric table.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Just in case someone is thinking that this latest update 3.0 might be the last one, let this post from Blake (Yamaha), put that thought out of your mind and continue thinking/promoting about what new 'reasonable' ideas you would like to see in the next OS update release, as Blake assures us "that there is more to come":

'Blake from Yamaha - In meetings this week discussing fixes and other feature requests for the next OS update, make it very clear that Yamaha are actively listening to our ideas for the Montage & MODX!'
https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/ ... eply-91353

So, Now feels like the perfect time to re-plug my second highest 'Up Voted' ideascale idea in hopes that it might appear in a future update...

Expand KBD CTRL to 16 parts on the Montage/MODX
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 3218-45978

I realize that this may be a difficult one or possibly near impossible, but even if there is a way to allow an additional 4 PARTs to be under KBD CTRL, it would be awesome...12 PART layered strings is better than 8! :D
I just seems like there is so much potential sitting in PART slot 9 - 16, that can't be utilized without a Sequencer or something else...

It would double the amount of playable PARTs on the Synth, making it twice the Monster that it already is!

If pitch bend gets fixed along with something like this, it would mean we could have 16 PARTs with perfect Pitch Bend as opposed to 8 PARTs!! ;)

As usual, I don't expect any of these ideas to absolutely come in an update, I am extremely happy with & enjoying what I already have, and I am not holding my breath, but it never hurts to ask & dream of the potential of being able to layer and split 16 PARTs, all off of one keyboard, which would be Super Powerful!

If anyone likes this idea I posted on yamahasynth.ideascale.com, and would like to see it in a future OS update, please 'Up Vote' my idea, because 'they are definitely listening to us & there are more features/enhancements/fixes to come'! ;)

User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:18 pm

I will mayby doublepost myself again : please

Yamaha bring back Motifs'

1.Performance PENDING LOAD
2. Performances ,(Waveforms) and Arpeggios Numbering.

Performances and Arpeggios should have had NUMBERS but not only names.
(Many times i was just lost when choosing arps only with names. Hundreds of them with nearly the same name).
User avatar Wales
Cezzentino

Unread post by Cezzentino » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 am

TAP TEMPO AVERAGE READING
I used to have an old korg Triton which I triggered arps and patterns from live with a band. The tap tempo took an average reading over time which made triggering with the band GREAT and accurate. On the modx it seems that it only reads the last 2 taps and therefore it is really hard to get the tempo to match.
If the modx could have the tap tempo average of would be so much better!
User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 pm

1. Sample slice function, then could follow the tempo changes.
2. Add to samples edit "one shot/loop function" (to avoid looking out for hundreds of softwares to enable this simple thing)
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I just found this out on another forum, that the potential to double our User Memory is possible. Please Up Vote this idea below on Yamahasynth.ideascale.com!!: (Y)
https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/ ... eply-93725
The solution to double (and almost triple for piano sounds) exists and is the WXC Yamaha’s proprietary sample compression format. Montage is able to read and use this format: the problem is that Yamaha refuses to make it available to users who have such a SUB-UTILIZED synth.
We make our voices heard by voting on the ideascale proposal
* Lossless audio compression to double the User Memory
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 8088-45978

I have just up-voted this 'awesome' idea above, which is now my most sought after wish on ideascale for the Montage/MODX, and likely the easiest one for Yamaha to implement/provide, as it wouldn't require much new programming, if any, to give/sell us a utility that allows us to convert .WAV files to .WXC format.

I would hope that the idea of Yamaha providing their synth owners the option to double their User memory, would be near the top of most people's list of wants! So everyone reading this, please "Up Vote" the idea above!! ;)
I also think it would be in Yamaha's best interest to give this to their customers (or sell for a reasonable price), as it would make their synths much more attractive & definitely increase their sales with potential buyers/existing owners knowing that you can double the number of User memory that they list for the Montage/MODX...

Previous to see this idea, my #1 wish was to have Yamaha expand the number of PARTs that could be under KBD CTRL from 8 to either 12 or 16 ... See my idea on yamahasynth.ideascale.com below & please 'Up Vote' it if you like this idea! ;)

* Expand KBD CTRL from 8 to 12 or 16 parts on the Montage/MODX

User avatar Slovakia
frostyak

Unread post by frostyak » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am

MODX 2.0 Firmware improvements:

1. Seamless transition between record and play of pattern (without the need for stopping the rec/playback)
2. Full access to part editing of sound while playing the pattern
3. Button combo for quick clear of scene and selected part in scene
4. UNDO for last recording (also easily accessible)
User avatar United States of America
BeforeMidi

Unread post by BeforeMidi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Simple request, suggested by many others, the ability to set the midi receive channel for each part! Don’t want to use four channels of my four-zone weighted controller just to play the CFX concert patch on the modx. Don’t see why it would difficult to implement, a lot of people are scratching their heads over this one.
Sweden
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Macke » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:46 pm

BeforeMidi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Simple request, suggested by many others, the ability to set the midi receive channel for each part! Don’t want to use four channels of my four-zone weighted controller just to play the CFX concert patch on the modx. Don’t see why it would difficult to implement, a lot of people are scratching their heads over this one.
I agree. This is the second most wanted feature voted for by us users on Yamaha Ideascale (currently with 99 votes). Add a vote for it too if you haven't already: Ideascale: Free allocation of midi channels in Montage Midi IO mode multi

It was suggested over a year back and not implemented yet but at least the idea is there for Yamaha RnD to keep track of.

They've seem to have listened to other suggestions leading up to the implementation of the pattern sequencer in MODX 2.0 / MONTAGE 3.0 OS updates which was also a quite popular request (currently with 44 votes).
User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:50 am

Tonight on the stage my Modx froze 3 times.
1st when it was switched on. Then during sound check sustain pedal went crazy.
Third time during performance, sound became glitchy and unresponsive .
Update 2.00.
Never had this problem with 1.2
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 pm

I created a new thread for this, but feel it's important enough to add as an idea here as well, in case Yamaha are mainly checking this sticky thread!

I can't find a single 'Cello' preset waveform that does not have vibrato. All of the Cellos presets that do not vibrato have more than one Cello and are labelled as 'Cellos' (plural). Most of the violins are the same, whereby the majority of single 'violin' presets have vibrato.

Yamaha: Please provide more 'single' Cello & Violin preset waveforms with no vibrato in a future OS update.

Jason on YamahaSynth.com posted his idea for this on yamahasynth.idealscale.com (see link below) (Y)

More Non-Vibrato Preset Waveforms for AWM2 in Synths
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 3270-45978

If you would like to see Yamaha add more instruments like a single Cello, Violin, etc., without any vibrato, in a future OS release, please "Up Vote" the idea in the link above! :wink:
User avatar Finland
Elias

iPad or other external touch screen

Unread post by Elias » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm not a MODX owner YET, but I have seen many, many complaints of the touch screen. Is it possible to use an iPad or something with a better screen to make it easier?

If it is possible with some simple adapter setup, that's great.
If not, you have another wish. Should not be a difficult addition.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”