A couple questions about recording to Logic Pro X

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

nreese
United States of America

A couple questions about recording to Logic Pro X

Unread post by nreese » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Greetings - I have a new Modx6 that I would like to record to Logic Pro X 10.4.2 on my IMac (OS X Mojave). I have installed the USB Mac driver and the Modx Connect as well. Everything has been updated. Two questions:

1. OS X Mojave is very new. Is it compatible with Logic Pro X, the Modx6 and the drivers?

2. When I turn on Logic Pro X and try to select the type of device to create, the only thing it allows is external midi. It will not allow software instrument (what I want to use) or anything else). Does anyone know why? Am I missing a setting or configuration? I tried to follow the manual.

N Reese
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: A couple questions about recording to Logic Pro X

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi nreese, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

Unfortunately I am stuck with High Sierra as my iMac doesn't support Mojave so I can't test the MODX with that OS.

Logic Pro X is definitely compatible with Mojave though so no worries there.

The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.10.2 for Mac only lists compatibility up to Mac OS 10.13x and given that the latest macOS Mojave is version 10.14.1 there "could" be issues but I have not heard of any.

I did have a few issues getting the MODX to show up as a selectable device in Logic and as I mentioned I am on High Sierra. It did show eventually after restarting Logic several times.

I find that the Mac is generally very reliable but when it comes to software like Logic and Cubase a OS update often stops these programs from running or causes issues. Which is kind of odd where Logic Pro is concerned because it is an Apple product :confusion-confused:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
nreese
United States of America

Unread post by nreese » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried reinstalling my USB drivers but that did nothing. I still don't seem to know that the latest update to Mac OSX (Mojave, which is quite new) is not the culprit. Does anyone out there know if the drivers and related files are compatible? Better yet, has anyone used that particular combination without problems (Mac OSX 14 (Mojave), Modx, and Logic Pro 10.4)?
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 am

I will get onto Yamaha in the morning and see if we can get something more definitive about compatibility.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
jnm2
Belgium

Unread post by jnm2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:35 am

I don't know if this migth be related to this problem, but I saw that the last Logic update makes it possible to store software instrument voices/soundbanks on external devices. So, the user should be able to change the saving-path's.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”