Help! No Sound from my W7!!!

W7 and W5 Workstations

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Angelo Taylor

Help! No Sound from my W7!!!

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 am

Dear Saul, dear moderators!

I have buyng W7 with problem: no any sound. I love this synth and I want to fix it! I have entered to test menu, and execute all tests. All tests - is OK! But few tests with a signals to left and right channels shown as good, but no sound from outputs and no sound from effects tests. What is problem? Seller told me, that sound can play after shut down power, may be yes, and may be not. May be pre-amplifier is fault??? May be DAC - is fault??? All memory tests - is ok, wave roms test - also ok! Some time - unit play sound, but only from song mode. No soud from voice mode. I have a change the battery and make factory reset the synth. Please Help!
Last edited by Angelo Taylor on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Help! No Sound from my W7!!!

Unread post by parametric » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:29 am

Hi Angelo . . .

Are the problems THE SAME, listening through Speakers (using the L/Mono-R sockets), compared to

listening with HEADPHONES?

i.e. LEFT Channel = No SOUND on Speaker . . . . . ALSO No SOUND in Headphones?

Or is Headphones DIFFERENT? (for instance)

Check each "missing sound" - IS IT THE SAME for Speakers AND Headphones . . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Angelo Taylor

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 am

parametric wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:29 am
Hi Angelo . . .

Are the problems THE SAME, listening through Speakers (using the L/Mono-R sockets), compared to

listening with HEADPHONES?

i.e. LEFT Channel = No SOUND on Speaker . . . . . ALSO No SOUND in Headphones?

Or is Headphones DIFFERENT? (for instance)

Check each "missing sound" - IS IT THE SAME for Speakers AND Headphones . . . .

ATB

parametric
Hello Parametric!

Yes, problem - the same: Line Outputs - no sound (L and R) and Phones - no sound, but in test menu only one test play sound - Click Out. And also - the same. From Outputs and Phone output. Other sound test - make no sound! All other tests - is ok!
Last edited by Angelo Taylor on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 am

In my opinion there is little more to do from "outside" the W7.

You have done a factory reset and you have run the diagnostic, which is reporting no problems . . . . ✔

When you play a sound that is "working" - it plays through L + R MAIN Outs and also Headphones . . . . ✔

I don't think there is therefore any problem with the OUTPUT stage of the W7 . . . .

The problem would seem to be inside, between the sound-producing boards and the output board.

Next thing I would do is to OPEN the W7 and check any ribbon cables that run between the PCBs.

FOR NOW - Do this with the W7 NOT plugged into the Mains - for safety . . . . :naughty:

unplug these ribbons and re-plug them several times. This will REFRESH those connections.

(Probably at this stage ignore the ribbons between the Keyboard and the PCBs UNLESS you are having problems

with notes NOT SOUNDING when they are pressed.)

ALL physical connectors of this type tend to tarnish with age, leading to intermittent connection.

Put the W7 back together and test as before . . .

I would make some notes as you go as to which Voices/Performances are troublesome . . .

THEN you can see if the problem "MOVES", as you try different things . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

Angelo Taylor

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 am

parametric wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 am

You have done a factory reset and you have run the diagnostic, which is reporting no problems . . . . ✔

When you play a sound that is "working" - it plays through L + R MAIN Outs and also Headphones . . . . ✔

I don't think there is therefore any problem with the OUTPUT stage of the W7 . . . .

The problem would seem to be inside, between the sound-producing boards and the output board.

Next thing I would do is to OPEN the W7 and check any ribbon cables that run between the PCBs.

FOR NOW - Do this with the W7 NOT plugged into the Mains - for safety . . . . :naughty:

unplug these ribbons and re-plug them several times. This will REFRESH those connections.

(Probably at this stage ignore the ribbons between the Keyboard and the PCBs UNLESS you are having problems

with notes NOT SOUNDING when they are pressed.)

ALL physical connectors of this type tend to tarnish with age, leading to intermittent connection.

Put the W7 back together and test as before . . .

I would make some notes as you go as to which Voices/Performances are troublesome . . .

THEN you can see if the problem "MOVES", as you try different things . . . .

parametric
Thank You! I will report for the result!
Last edited by Angelo Taylor on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo Taylor

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:32 am

parametric wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 am
Ok, I have done all Your recommendations. With no any result. Problem - is not "moves". Test number 24 and 25 (Click-Hi Sound On, Click-Low Soud On) - PLAYNG the signal. Other tests - with no changes - no sound. Tests numbers 22 and 23 - no produce any sound, and no playng any signal. All other "sound" tests - produce - no any sound. All other tests - with "OK" results. May be - soung-generator chip fault??? Need to change processor main board?
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Angelo,

Your previous post about the chips seems to have gone missing . . . . ?

DO repost those chip details . . . . .

But the chips you mention from the schematic LOOK to have been replaced by "near-equivalents" rather

than "original" or "exact equivalents".

This is NOT good - and may well be the reason for the Synth NOT behaving as you expect.

The fact that soldering has been attempted on one of the sockets is also not good -

as we don't know if it was done WELL?

My next move would be to TRY and source correct ORIGINAL replacements, or if that is NOT possible,

then EXACT equivalents, but this may prove difficult OR impossible due to AGE.

IF replacements can be obtained then I would REMOVE the socket that has been "soldered" with a new one

(THEN you KNOW it has been soldered properly). Fit the replacement chips and try again . . .

This is as far as I can go with advice - as chip-level issues are beyond my knowledge. . . . .

Perhaps there are others in here who can advise further?

Alternatively, the next best thing would be to source another W7 that may be in in better shape

(and problem-free) - and use yours as a source of replacement parts (Y) . . . . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Angelo Taylor

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 am

parametric wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm
Hi Angelo,

DO repost those chip details . . . . .

But the chips you mention from the schematic LOOK to have been replaced by "near-equivalents" rather

than "original" or "exact equivalents".

This is NOT good - and may well be the reason for the Synth NOT behaving as you expect.

The fact that soldering has been attempted on one of the sockets is also not good -

as we don't know if it was done WELL?

My next move would be to TRY and source correct ORIGINAL replacements, or if that is NOT possible,

then EXACT equivalents, but this may prove difficult OR impossible due to AGE.

IF replacements can be obtained then I would REMOVE the socket that has been "soldered" with a new one

(THEN you KNOW it has been soldered properly). Fit the replacement chips and try again . . .

This is as far as I can go with advice - as chip-level issues are beyond my knowledge. . . . .

Perhaps there are others in here who can advise further?

Alternatively, the next best thing would be to source another W7 that may be in in better shape

(and problem-free) - and use yours as a source of replacement parts (Y) . . . . . .

parametric
Thank You! I will see, what we can do with this! It will take some time, I will reporting for result!
Angelo Taylor

Unread post by Angelo Taylor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 pm

parametric wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm
Hi Angelo,

Ok, I have a mistake, I`m sorry! Just messed up the symbols. I accepted the symbol "D" - as "0". So, NJM4560ED and JRC4560D - it is very close analogs, my friend - keyboard technician is confirm this. You were absolutely right-the problem is in the connections. It remains to localize it. Pree-Amplifier of synth - working properly. After one week, my friend will come to me with oscilloscope, and we will continue to find a problem! I will report about result! Thank You!
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:01 pm

That is good news Angelo,

Hopefully more will be revealed when the oscilloscope arrives . . . . :wink:

BTW - it would be very helpful if you go to User Control Panel/Edit Profile and select the FLAG for your country . .

It would then display next to your picture on the right . . . . . . (Y)

It is no good for us to recommend suppliers here in the UK, if you don't live here . . . . (IYSWIM)? :lol:

ATB

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “Yamaha W Series”