New KORG Volca Modular & Volca Drum NAMM 2019

Three true-analog synthesizers with built-in sequencers to generate the ultimate analog leads, basses, and rhythms

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

New KORG Volca Modular & Volca Drum NAMM 2019

Unread post by Saul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Looks like KORG are adding at least two new instrument to the very popular VOLCA range of mini synths for NAMM 2019.

The first is a "Micro Modular Synthesizer"
KORG volca modular.png
KORG volca modular
KORG volca modular.png (649.22 KiB) Viewed 419 times
The second is the "KORG volca drum"
KORG volca drum.png
KORG volca drum
KORG volca drum.png (610.07 KiB) Viewed 419 times
These have not been confirmed by KORG yet but given how enthusiastically the Volca range has been embraced by musicians the world over it would be very unlikely that the company would not produce some new models for 2019.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Israel
Chummy

Re: New KORG Volca Modular & Volca Drum NAMM 2019

Unread post by Chummy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for the update but I can't say I'm excited. The Volca range was never appealing to me as I don't think of them as serious instruments. I don't mind they are "cheap gear" at all, it's not the issue, but the groovebox format just doesn't do it for me. Also they are tiny as hell.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:03 am

Well can't say I am that excited about it either. Never been a fan of these small synths and can't understand the fascination with them. As far as I can tell they don't do anything that has not been done so many times before and that can't be easily recreated in many other synths.

Hey but I am not the market they are aimed at. No doubt they will fly off the shelves upon release.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Israel
Chummy

Unread post by Chummy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:29 pm

I agree. Though they may appear to none musicians, or DJs/ music lovers who just want to make music by pressing a few buttons and twisting a few knobs. It's pretty much like buying a toy, a game (guitar hero much?). It sounds decent for the price. but size, polyphony and overall limited application kill the Volca range for me.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:31 am

I watched a YouTube video a couple of years ago where this guy did a live jam by himself using several instruments, including the various Volca synths (and even a guitar, if I remember correctly). It was extremely impressive. I can't find that particular video right now, but there are numerous YouTube videos where people jam by themselves with the Volcas. Although I personally would rather spend the same amount of money on a good soft synth, it's true that analog synths have a sound quality that's difficult to replicate digitally. And even a "toy" can be used to create a masterpiece in the hands of a skilled performer-- whereas even the most expensive studio instrument can be used to create a "craptastic" mess in the hands of someone like me. ;)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:31 pm

I have seen a lot of Volca videos but I am still left completely cold by them. It's all bleeps, beeps, synth drums and cheesy analog bass. Plus there is the mess of cables if you want to use several of the units together.

I understand all this appeals to a lot of people but I am certainly not one of them. The whole Volca range could have easily been packed into one small keyboard...but that is probably not good business sense and I know the range has been very good for KORG.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:07 pm

The best ones show someone using the Volcas in conjunction with other instruments, rather than trying to do everything with just the Volcas. But you generally have to wade through a lot of unimpressive videos to find one that’s impressive.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Korg Volca Forum”