Speakers

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar France
EXer

Re: Speakers

Unread post by EXer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am

Besides studio monitors and hifi speakers there is another option: a keyboard amp or, better, a pair of keyboard amps, e.g. Roland KC series.

That solution may look a bit old-school, but it's very effective.

I use a pair of KC-500s that I'm very satisfied with. Probably not the most linear amplifying system for studio use, but a very clean and powerful sound which highlights the qualities of my synths at home or on stage.
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm

EXer wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am
I use a pair of KC-500s that I'm very satisfied with. Probably not the most linear amplifying system for studio use, but a very clean and powerful sound which highlights the qualities of my synths at home or on stage.
As you alluded to, Roland KC are not very flat, so while they may have other benefits, they're not the best sound quality, especially for piano. For stage use, powered PA speakers can generally do a better job (EV ZXa1, QSC K8.2, etc.). As for keyboard amps, the Spacestation is nice for creating a spacious stereo-like effect out of a single box, though again people often find that piano sounds in particular need a little extra EQ to work well. And while I haven't heard it, I've seen a number of people who are happy with the Motion Sound KP500.
Last edited by anotherscott on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 am

Exactly... that is what I don't want - flat, clinical/analytical sounding speakers.

I want to hear the keyboard through speakers that make it sound warm, rich, full, etc... :)
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 am
However I would turn the volume up on the keyboard and use the hi-fi volume to then control your final output. It isn't going to damage anything. Of course results may vary depending on what you have plugged into.
I still have fond memories how my Casio CTK-670 destroyed my SONY audio system inputs back in mid-90s. After that they always sounded like there is a tremolo effect inserted. Anyway, I just wanted to warn pologuy that improper connections MAY cause damage to equipment.

parametric wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 am
I would conclude that the MODX series is Consumer Line Level at -10dba . . .
Before posting here I have tried my MODX7 connected to the Line inputs of my UR44 audio interface (configurable -10/+4), and, as I have mentioned, MODX is coming too hot and clipping when input is set to -10bBV. When the input is set to +4dBu, the signal from MODX is hitting around -12db on the meters.
I may try to measure the actual voltage output when I have the time...

pologuy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 am
I am not going to get better, fuller, richer sound out of a 3-way speaker with 4 drivers including two 8" woofers, a 5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter versus a 2-way speaker with 2 drivers with one 8" and one 1"...?
Of course you will! If better, fuller, richer sound to enjoy playing your keyboard is what you are after, by all means, go for the 3-way speaker with 4 drivers.
If, however, your goal is to produce audio, a studio-grade 2-way speaker with 2 drivers may be the better option.
Different applications, different tools.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 am

Thank you Kal1n_M - your post reminded me . . . . . :roll: :oops:

Keyboards are a bit of a special case regarding outputs . . . .

Whether or not they have internal speakers, they do have a VOLUME CONTROL,

and this affects the Headphone output AND the Line Out level (IME) . . .

SOME Active Speakers DO have a volume control round the back - but some DON'T -

SO if you plug a fixed Line-Out into those, you will get FULL VOLUME out :naughty: ,

so it's best to front them with a MIXER - or at least something that has a volume control on it . . . (Y)

Regular consumer gear - Tape Decks, cassette Decks, CD Players, Tuners etc, mostly have Phono (RCA)

sockets and the output is FIXED, usually at -10dba, so you use the volume control on your AMP to vary it.

My Panasonic SV-3700 DAT Recorder has Neutric Line outs, hardware switchable to -10dba or +4dba

The only phono (RCAs) are on the S/PDif IN/OUT.

The AES/EBU IN/OUTS are Neutric too. . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm

I have never damaged anything in the nearly 40 years I have been using keyboards and that is plugging them into all sorts of gear. Simply turn the volume down on both before plugging in and then use the volume at either end to control the max output everything is fine.

I turn the volume full up, or mostly full up on the keyboard rather than the amp because it gives the best quality of sound. Well it does for me anyway.

Pologuy was looking for something to enrich the sound of his keyboard because he wasn't going to use it for production, at least not yet and studio monitor speakers won't do that because they are designed to be neutral.

In fact this has been a complaint about Yamaha keyboards that I have heard quite often over the years. In comparison to KORG and Roland it is often said that Yamaha sound flat, dull, lifeless. But that is only because Yamaha set their keyboards to deliver a purer sound, in the same way that studio monitors do. This allows YOU to sculpt the sound to your own taste rather than have the manufacturer give you what THEY think you should be hearing.

There is a lot of sense in that approach but of course it does lead to disappointment for some customers because they have based their buying decision on youtube videos and these have often been processed or the keyboard has been "tweaked" beforehand...or both but, that is the nature of production. Ask our friend Purcell about his MOXF. He thought it was pretty dull and uninspiring for a very long time until that is he discovered the settings that bring it to life! Now he's is a very happy MOXF owner :)

So for now at least, Pologuy wants speakers that will enhance his MODX and that is what we should be looking at.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

I just bought a pair of Sony GTK-XB5's that were on sale for $130 ea. I already had one of these speakers for listening to music at home and the sound quality has been so impressive & hi-def for the price, that I checked into using a pair for my studio, especially for when I get my Montage8. So luckly my neighbour also had the same speaker, which I borrowed and did a test. I set mine for left and the other one for right, and hooked in a sub that I have. Then I tried playing various recorded songs, as well as some VST pianos through them. I find it hard to believe that a home party speaker I bought at Costco has the best sound I've ever heard out of any set of speakers, despite not likely being designed for use in a studio. They are near sonically perfect (to my ears) and are probably one of the only bluetooth speakers out there that also still have L/R inputs & outputs for physical connectivity.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/hi-fi-systems/gtk-xb5
https://www.sony.com/image/175850291b82 ... bgc=F1F5F9
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 pm

I think that sort of proves a point. Your Sony GTX-XB5's are multimedia speakers and ideal for playing all sorts of music through and also for playing your keyboard through. Remembering here that we are not talking about "music production" but "music listening" and that is a very important difference.

They are a little more expensive here in the UK but as an all round speaker still very good value for money :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-GTKXB5B-C ... ny+gtk+xb5
Sony GTKXB5B.png
Sony GTKXB5B.png (503.94 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
DIAMANTE

Unread post by DIAMANTE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 am

I've tried many brands of speakers in my 52 years career as a musician. I was sold on JBL until I heard Electro-Voice and JBL speakers side by side. The EV 12" 2-way model SX300E blew the JBL's out of the water. I own 4 and would never consider any other speaker. If anyone is in the Phoenix area, every Wednesday I perform at the Arizona American Italian club on 12th st. in Phoenix from 6:30 - 8:30. You can hear my MODX7 through these speakers and confirm what I'm stating...
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 pm

I think it's hard to generalize about brands. I liked the EV ZXa1 better than the QSC K8, but not as much as the QSC K8.2. I liked those EV and QSC models better than some JBL models, but if you really need to crank, JBL PRX625 beat them all (but it weighs 60 lbs, more than twice the others). Bu this thread has gone numerous directions, and the speakers you'd choose to play in your living room would be different than what you'd choose to play with a rock band in a club.
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:37 pm

So if I chose the Yamaha home Hi-Fi speakers ( https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... index.html ) connected to either a Yamaha AVR (or Yamaha amp) - what should my concerns be?

That the MODX is too hot - and to set its output lower than factory set?
To set the AVR or amp at a center volume position and then use the MODX's volume control?
Anything else?

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”