User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A NEW Era for Portable Pianos by CASIO

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:00 am

So this is the new CDP-S100 :)

• Ultra Slim and Portable.
  • 88 Weighted Keys with Smart Scaled Hammer Action II Keyboard.
  • 10 Dynamic Stereo Tones.
  • 8W + 8W Loudspeaker System.
  • Battery Power Option (6 AA Batteries give up to 13 hours of playing time).
  • Headphone Output (3.5 mm Jack).
  • Audio Input (Stereo 3.5mm Jack).
  • USB Connector to PC, Mac or smart device (iOS and Android).
  • Compatible with AC Adaptor AD-A12150LW (Included).
  • SP-3 Sustain Pedal Included.
  • Weight 10.5kg (excluding batteries).
  • Dimensions 1322 x 232 x 99 mm
  • Music Rest included.
UK Price £399 (correct as of 14th Jan 2019)

Casio have also made a padded gig bag for it and whilst not particularly cheap at around £115 it is very nice and provides plenty of protection.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 am

THAT is aggressively competitive pricing for a Hammer Action 88-noter that sounds that good and weighs so little.

A winner for Schools that haven't yet abandoned Music, and also for Parents as a "try-out" for their kids . . .

Well Done Casio . . (Y)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 am

Saul wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Casio are refocusing more on "pianos" rather than synths.
That feels wrong... The one complaint people had about the PX-5S was the noisy keybed. An upgraded PX-5s with an improved keybed (from this new line of Privias), new piano sound (also from this new line of Privias), expression pedal support (from the PX-560), and maybe with a touch screen (also from the PX-560) would be an absolute winner and shouldn't involve high development costs for Casio, since it would basically just put together features already found on existing boards.

And another thing: with such an excellent keybed, I think it would be wise for Casio to focus on the controller market too. The hypothetical upgraded PX-5S described above, but without sounds and with no touch screen, should rule the world of controllers. I think we would all love that. Maybe even with no LCD display either: some simple LED indicators for the knobs and sliders would make me very happy.

But let's not lose hope yet. :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am

parametric wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 am
THAT is aggressively competitive pricing for a Hammer Action 88-noter that sounds that good and weighs so little.

A winner for Schools that haven't yet abandoned Music, and also for Parents as a "try-out" for their kids . . .

Well Done Casio . . (Y)

parametric
Agreed. And even that price will be discounted at some point :)

If I were a buyer for schools I would be racing to Casio and ordering truck loads of these! :animals-dogrun:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

Swithin wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 am
Saul wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm
Casio are refocusing more on "pianos" rather than synths.
That feels wrong... The one complaint people had about the PX-5S was the noisy keybed. An upgraded PX-5s with an improved keybed (from this new line of Privias), new piano sound (also from this new line of Privias), expression pedal support (from the PX-560), and maybe with a touch screen (also from the PX-560) would be an absolute winner and shouldn't involve high development costs for Casio, since it would basically just put together features already found on existing boards.

And another thing: with such an excellent keybed, I think it would be wise for Casio to focus on the controller market too. The hypothetical upgraded PX-5S described above, but without sounds and with no touch screen, should rule the world of controllers. I think we would all love that. Maybe even with no LCD display either: some simple LED indicators for the knobs and sliders would make me very happy.

But let's not lose hope yet. :)
I don't think Casio have abandoned the synth market. It's just that their prime objective right now is to capture a bigger share of the education sector. This is huge and probably all us synth heads forget just how big it is? Think for a moment about how many schools there are in the world and how many pupils are in each school? The numbers are staggering.

Also schools are where the future synth players are. If you can nurture millions of new keyboard players from an early age not only is that a great thing for music as a whole but from a manufacturers perspective it is the gift that keeps on giving. Children become parents and if they have learned piano themselves it is more likely they will encourage their own children to do so and will buy the brand they learned on.

Anyway, you can see how that pans out for the manufacturer who becomes the ubiquitous brand in education? Success here means you have the development funds that enable you to be experimental with other keyboards like synths.

So yes, definitely don't give up hope on that new synth you want from Casio. The music division has changed beyond all recognition. They are far more agile now than in the past. There are lots of great ideas flying about from a very young dynamic team both here in the UK and in Japan. If even a fraction of those ideas make it to market I think the future looks bright for all of us :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

I think you're right about the education sector being a very large market. And, indeed, at this price, Casio should be flooded with orders from schools. That should keep the young team motivated. :)

Thanks for nurturing my hope for a new synth/controller from Casio too! :) In fact, let's hope we see lots of interesting new keyboards from all major manufacturers the next couple of years. At least from my own point of view as a spectator of the music scene, it looks like things are moving a little faster than before, and with actual, useful improvements.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 am

Incredible.
To think one can buy a graded hammer action EP with extremely good sound for just £399.
+1 to Chris's "well done Casio!"

I rather suspect Casio is already working on a replacement for both the 560m and the 5s.
But first they need to get a decent return on those products and the massive investment they must have put in to create them in the first place.

Blue is a great colour for a piano/keyboard/synth.
My PX-560m in its stand looks so much better than a huge slab of black.
It's one of the things that drew me to it, albeit pretty low on the list.
Mark you, if you're gigging it, I can understand wanting to look "Pro".

I'm still very pleased with the grand I spent on the package.
I haven't discovered half of what's in the box yet though.

JohnG.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

parametric wrote:
How does that compare to the price of the CDP-130 and Yamaha P45?

Back to the subject of MIDI jacks, I'm not surprised that the CDP-S100 doesn't have them. But alas, not even the S350, despite their press release that says "the S350 is designed to fit in a wide range of musical situations, from the home to the stage."
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm
parametric wrote:
How does that compare to the price of the CDP-130 and Yamaha P45?

Back to the subject of MIDI jacks, I'm not surprised that the CDP-S100 doesn't have them. But alas, not even the S350, despite their press release that says "the S350 is designed to fit in a wide range of musical situations, from the home to the stage."
I appreciate that there is a definite trend to omit DIN-Midi from new instruments . . . .

Personally, I think this is unwise, if only that it will exclude a product from consideration if it pleases

in all other respects.

With economies of scale - it can't honestly add much to the final cost, and to me it makes no sense to

alienate a whole market sector, by "hobbling" a board in this way . . .

Midi has been around a long time and IS actively used by many to simplify their setups -

which was it's original function.

As has been said before, USB-Midi should be an ADDITION rather than a replacement . . .

Just my opinion of course . . . Time will tell, I guess?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I think the CDP-130 doesn't have three sensors pe key. The P45 uses Yamaha's GHS action, which many people say is not as expressive as Casio's. I like both actions, but I'm not a pianist and I have very little experience with weighted keys.

There's one more thing Casio offers: seamless transition from pianissimo to fortissimo, thanks to some physical modelling applied to the samples. I think (but I'm not sure) other manufacturers don't have this feature in their lower-priced pianos.

I'm really curious what has changed in this new Casio keybed. I wonder if the key travel depth and key bounciness have changed.
User avatar Portugal
kalty

Unread post by kalty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Just saw the video that Jeremy See will make January, 19.
It about the CASIO CDP-S350 .... :(

I thought it was about the privia ... and now im a little scared as well ... since i was going to spend 600€ in the full px 160 kit with the wood stand and pedal + bench .... and i saw that the casio cdp s100 is 450€ .... so i expect the new privia to be much more expensive than that!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Swithin wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm
I think the CDP-130 doesn't have three sensors pe key. The P45 uses Yamaha's GHS action, which many people say is not as expressive as Casio's. I like both actions, but I'm not a pianist and I have very little experience with weighted keys.

There's one more thing Casio offers: seamless transition from pianissimo to fortissimo, thanks to some physical modelling applied to the samples. I think (but I'm not sure) other manufacturers don't have this feature in their lower-priced pianos.

I'm really curious what has changed in this new Casio keybed. I wonder if the key travel depth and key bounciness have changed.
That's absolutely true. There is a seamless transition from pianissimo to fortissimo. The new keybed in the CDP-S100 responds to so many more levels than most keyboards so you can go from really delicate whisper quiet to wall shaking, bring the house down sort of loudness and not hear any stepping in between. It is such a delight to play :)

Casio created a completely new mechanism for this keyboard and they put a massive amount of time and research into it. The end result is a keyboard you just don't want to stop playing.

The GHS action on the P45 is pretty good but definitely not as good as the CDP-S100.

I know Yamaha have a new portable piano ready for launch but I have not tried it yet so that balance things a bit.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:09 pm

kalty wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I thought it was about the privia ... and now im a little scared as well ... since i was going to spend €600 in the full px 160 kit with the wood stand and pedal + bench .... and i saw that the casio cdp s100 is 450€ .... so i expect the new privia to be much more expensive than that!
Great to hear about the CDP-S350 video :)

It is difficult for me to say much about the price of the new PX without giving the game away. All I can reasonably say is if I were about to spend €600 on the PX 160 I would be happy to wait for the announcement of the new model ;) :shhh:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Swithin wrote:
I think the CDP-130 doesn't have three sensors pe key.
I haven't seen any indication that these new models have it either. They may be keeping that feature to the higher end Privia line?
Saul wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Swithin wrote:
There's one more thing Casio offers: seamless transition from pianissimo to fortissimo
That's absolutely true. There is a seamless transition from pianissimo to fortissimo.
I didn't expect that, since as far as I've seen, there's no reference to the "linear morphing" of the Privias, which is what they've called their implementation of that feature.
United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm

kalty wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I thought it was about the privia ... and now im a little scared as well ... since i was going to spend 600€ in the full px 160 kit with the wood stand and pedal + bench .... and i saw that the casio cdp s100 is 450€ .... so i expect the new privia to be much more expensive than that!
OK... so there is the 350....

What the heck is the keyboard in the Casio teaser?!

Return to “Casio Privia Piano Forum”