(VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Re: (VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Hello everyone. I actually dont really need a 88 hammered key keyboard but since i had 3/4 options Ill just go for the best, if these 3/4 keyboards are not my options ill just find for 76 key keyboard then.
I dont really prefer the Casio PX560 because my friend (a music director) said to me to avoid buying casio keyboards because they arent really made for stage performances and the sound/voices are less quality and natural. Im having a Casio CTK 800 now and it really sucks in terms of sound quality.
And no one will be sure about the existance of bass chord in this keyboard because the website didnt say anything about it.

About the Yamaha DGX 660, in terms of sound quality, its awesome, but lacks at sound quantity, so less sounds, and does not really have the bass chord feature, and not an arranger, its a digital piano.

And about the Kurzweil KA90 anotherscott always mentions about, its good and considerable, but i dont really know about the sound quality because its not 'that' famous but slightly lacks at sound quantity, and I dont know if it has the bass chord feature I mentioned.

So now, ill have to confirm about the KORG HAVIAN 30 about the sound quality, if it is good in terms of sound quality in another forum. Ill update to you guys about it.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm

I have to disagree with your friend who told you to avoid buying a Casio keyboard. You have a very old Casio keyboard so it is not in any way comparable to modern Casio keyboards in much the same way as older Yamaha keyboards will not sound quite as good as newer Yamaha keyboards.

Casio have an excellent reputation and you will find many Casio fans, including myself on this forum. This is why we have a section dedicated to Casio keyboards. We would not recommend them if we thought the sound and build quality was not up there with Yamaha, KORG and Roland. Do yourself a big favour and keep Casio on your list. Try them for yourself and then make a decision.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:38 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm
I have to disagree with your friend who told you to avoid buying a Casio keyboard. You have a very old Casio keyboard so it is not in any way comparable to modern Casio keyboards in much the same way as older Yamaha keyboards will not sound quite as good as newer Yamaha keyboards.

Casio have an excellent reputation and you will find many Casio fans, including myself on this forum. This is why we have a section dedicated to Casio keyboards. We would not recommend them if we thought the sound and build quality was not up there with Yamaha, KORG and Roland. Do yourself a big favour and keep Casio on your list. Try them for yourself and then make a decision.
Okay then. I shall also consider the Casio.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Echoing Saul's comment, if you take the time to look at some of the reviews of the PX560 on YouTube, you will find people who take these keyboards out regularly "gigging" and have nothing but praise.

PianomanChuck particularly eulogizes about the blue beast.
It was his series of videos that put aside my prejudices over Casio.
SO PLEASED he did.

If he's ashamed about the big CASIO lable on the back, you can always stick a slice of gaffer tape over it. ;-)

Regards, :whistle:
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Maevinarsh wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 pm
Hello everyone. I actually dont really need a 88 hammered key keyboard but since i had 3/4 options Ill just go for the best, if these 3/4 keyboards are not my options ill just find for 76 key keyboard then.
Note that giving up 88 keys and giving up a hammer action can be two different decisions. There are numerous 76-key hammer action boards, but I think it will be even harder to find the left hand bass chord feature you want. But there may be some 76 key non-hammer arrangers that will do it (as well as 61 key models).
Maevinarsh wrote:
I dont really prefer the Casio PX560 because my friend (a music director) said to me to avoid buying casio keyboards because they arent really made for stage performances and the sound/voices are less quality and natural. Im having a Casio CTK 800 now and it really sucks in terms of sound quality.
Agreeing with previous posts, your friend does not necessarily know everything, and also sound quality can be subjective. Use your ears, not your friend's opinions. Especially if he hasn't specifically played the PX560, which is a higher end Casio with some much better sound capability than their low end CTK boards. I'm not saying it's the very best sounding board, but it is professionally usable.
Maevinarsh wrote:
And no one will be sure about the existance of bass chord in this keyboard because the website didnt say anything about it.
The portions of the manual posted earlier in this thread indicate it should work. It doesn't matter if they don't call it the same thing Yamaha calls it. But you should try it for yourself--on ANY board you buy--to be sure that it works exactly the way you want/expect. Or find an owner of the board willing to confirm it for you by trying it. What you've described--have the keyboard double your lowest note with bass while not providing any other accompaniment--is not a common application.
Maevinarsh wrote:
About the Yamaha DGX 660, in terms of sound quality, its awesome, but lacks at sound quantity, so less sounds, and does not really have the bass chord feature, and not an arranger, its a digital piano.
It does have arranger features. (Though I think you said that you don't specifically need it to be an arranger, since you would be playing all the parts yourself?) But I believe you are correct, based on a quick look at the manual, it does not appear to have any way to do the bass feature you want.
Maevinarsh wrote:
And about the Kurzweil KA90 anotherscott always mentions about, its good and considerable, but i dont really know about the sound quality because its not 'that' famous but slightly lacks at sound quantity, and I dont know if it has the bass chord feature I mentioned.
I didn't mention the KA90, I mentioned the SP6, which is in a whole other league in features and sound quality. I had actually forgotten Kurzweil made any 88-key arranger/accompaniment boards. The KA90 would definitely not work for you (for one thing, it only has 20 sounds, and also just pretty minimal features in general). But the KA-120 might do it. I don't know much about its sound quality... it's definitely not going to sound as good as the SP6... I don't know how it compares to the PX560, but I would not assume it would be better. (I'd be inclined to prefer the PX560, myself.) As for the SP6, it does not have auto-accompaniment, so the only way it *might* do what you want on bass is by layering a monophonic bass sound (described as "option 2" at the bottom of my post in this thread from Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 pm). But I'm not sure how well that would really work.
Maevinarsh wrote:
So now, ill have to confirm about the KORG HAVIAN 30 about the sound quality, if it is good in terms of sound quality in another forum. Ill update to you guys about it.
A quick look at the manual makes it look like it has at least the same ability as the Casio 560 to mute undesired parts of the auto accompaniment, so it should work for your bass requirement. I agree with Saul that it's operation looks simpler than the Casio. Each will have some advantages over the other.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 pm

KORG Havian 30 vs Yamaha DGX650

Ok so this is not the DGX660 but they are not worlds apart in sound and functionality. The KORG is of course more expensive so you need to keep that in mind but a useful comparison just the same :)

Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 pm
KORG Havian 30 vs Yamaha DGX650
As I mentioned in the previous post, based on the manuals, I don't think the DGX will give him the bass capability he is looking for, as I believe the Havian 30 and Casio PX560 will. But I didn't watch the video. ;-)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Yeah it's really for a comparison of sound quality and perhaps to rule the DGX out of the equation?

That would bring the choice down to the Casio PX560 and the KORG Havian 30.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Well Im not really good in comparing sound quality.
So if these are the 2 keyboards left as the choice,
Can anyone of you just compare the Havian 30 and Casio PX560? (In terms of Piano, Organ, Guitar, Strings, Violin, Trumpet, Bass, EP)
Which one is better? In your opinion...
Cuz Im not good in comparing sound quality...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 pm

This is a difficult question for anyone to answer. We all hear things slightly differently and also have differing preferences in what sounds good to us. So I may say the Casio PX560 sounds better than the KORG Havian but that would just be MY opinion. The most important thing is how it sounds to you.

For me personally the Casio sounds better but I emphasise that is for ME. My perception of sound may be very different from yours and others here. The ONLY way to decide is listen and if you cannot try it for yourself just go with the one that has a sound that sits more comfortably with you.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Ok. I guess if I'm not a good decider, I shall do a voting poll somewhere, this question might be the last question and the decision maker for me.
User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm

But I'm hoping for more opinions from everyone.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Well you can do a poll but the problem is people will have differing opinions so you may end up just as undecided as you are right now.

I have learned over the years that the ONLY opinion that matters in regard to how something sounds is your own :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Besides being subjective, the answer can also vary depending on which sounds you're comparing. It could easily be, for example, that you like the piano better on one and the organ better on the other.

That said, just from having looked at the manual, the Havian is more flexible in mixing-and-matching internal and external sounds. So if you wanted a better piano or whatever, and you find one you like on your iPhone/iPad or laptop computer, you can incorporate that sound into your Havian performances by attaching to that device. The Casio does not have as much facility to combine internal and external sounds. (Ironic, since Casio has the 5-pin MIDI ports which facilitate adding a non-computer based external sound module, and the Havian does not.)

One thing I could not tell from the manual, though, is whether the external sounds would play through the internal speakers of the Havian, if that matters.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 pm

I’ve never heard either of those keyboards in person, and I would be hesitant to vote between their sounds based on what they sound like in videos. And it’s definitely a subjective preference, because I’ve seen people mention how much they like a certain voice on the PSR-E models whereas I don’t like the way that particular voice sounds (usually because of something like vibrato that you can’t remove), and conversely they may disparage a particular voice that I happen to like a lot!

If it were me making the decision, I’d probably go for whichever one has the better tone-editing functions, because even if a given preset voice doesn’t “rock your world” you can often make it sound much more to your liking by tweaking its settings.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”