Using MX88 sounds as midi

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Tybward

Using MX88 sounds as midi

Unread post by Tybward » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

I have read somewhere that you can use the sounds built into the MX88 as basically VST instruments in a DAW such as Ableton. That way the sounds sent to Ableton would be able to be edited as a midi track and not just an audio track. Is this even possible? If so how would I go about setting this up to get it to work?
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Using MX88 sounds as midi

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 am

Yes, you can send some or all of Ableton Live's MIDI tracks to your MX88 so it will play them. But the MX88 doesn't have built-in speakers, so you'll either have to connect external speakers to it, or plug in a pair of headphones, or send the MX88's audio to your computer so it can be played through your computer's speakers.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Belarus
John_D

Unread post by John_D » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone! :D

But how all the sounds built into the MX can be used as VST instruments in a DAW?
Referring to the first question "when MX sounds sent to DAW would be able to be edited as a midi track and not just an audio track."

Many thanks
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm

It works in the same way as other VST instruments John. The MX will appear in your DAW as a VST instrument and can be edited and controlled in the same way.

This article explains most of it but come back and ask if you have any questions.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synt ... s-computer
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Belarus
John_D

Unread post by John_D » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Thanks Saul,
I will read through the article.

1) Myabe I do something wrong, the thing is that when I press record in my DAW (Cubase and Ableton) and start playing on MX - the track is recording as audio file and I unable to make any afterchanges with the recorded track, except laying additional effects. But what if I did a mistake during playing and have to correct notes through DAW rather then rerecord a track.

2) As option I can use MX as midi controller so it will just send signal using other VST instruments from my DAW library which I can easily edit.
But issue is that I need MX sound rather then DAW VSTs, with the option of editing track after being recorded.

3) Also I have tracks which were recorded in DAW before buying MX and now I need to replace old sounds with MX sound. Is it possible to do? Or I need to record from scratch.

Thank You in advance

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”