YDP-101S Demo Song List

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar United States of America
TulsaMJ

YDP-101S Demo Song List

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 am

Hi everybody!

I've been enjoying the information about my trusty SY-85 on these forums for a while, but today I have a story to tell and a question to ask.

For the past month or two I've been wanting to bring home a digital piano. My daughter is taking lessons and has been practicing on the SY-85, and then I decided to pick it back up and actually apply myself to learning to actually play. Obviously I realized pretty quickly that not only is the action on the SY-85 not sufficiently piano-like (although recently I've started to appreciate it as the high-quality synth action it is) but 61 keys is really not enough. This last part I discovered trying to play a piece from a book of arrangements of Guaraldi's Charlie Brown songs and running out of notes on the bottom!

I got interested in the DGX-660s when I saw some used listings on Facebook Marketplace - there were two of them right near the same time and price, but I didn't have any money stashed away so I missed out on those. But then I started talking to people and someone told me about the P series. We have a P-95 at my church so I had seen and had the chance to noodle around on one, but when my daughter and I took a trip to Guitar Center one Saturday and plunked around on the Yamahas and Williamses and Casios, I fell in love with the P-125. So my dream rig became the P-125 with the nice wood stand and the three pedal attachment. Still didn't have any cash set back, but I had a goal and a plan.

Last Saturday I woke up and opened up Craigslist, and did a search for "Digital Piano". The first thing that popped up was "Free Digital Piano" - posted 23 hours ago. There was a picture of a dusty little unit sitting on a curb, with an explanation "we're moving today and this thing needs to be gone! Some of the keys aren't working but it should be easy to repair by re-seating some circuit boards." I emailed the poster, then I looked at the weather and realized it was going to rain soon. So I went to my son's room and said, "Are you up for an adventure?"

We hopped in the pickup truck, not even knowing whether the piano was still there. There it was, still on the curb, in front of the newly-vacant house. It was covered with tree pollen (Oklahoma springtime ACHOO!) but apparently was in pretty decent shape, so we loaded it up, put a tarp over it, and took it home.

What an amazing find! The piano is a YDP-101S, all of the electronics are in terrific shape, and after some research I discovered that the likely fix was just to take out the rubber sensors and wash them with hand soap! That does sound a LITTLE easier than it turned out to be, but with the help of PDF service manuals I found online, we got her all fixed up and tonight she plays great! (A couple of the notes in the lowest octave still don't sound all the time, but it's not enough of a problem to me to open up again... what a hassle!)

ANYWAY. So that's a happy ending! When I'm ready to upgrade to P-series, I can likely sell this one, maybe for as much as $300-500 as long as we get the furniture part looking really great. Until then, we're REALLY going to enjoy playing it! And even if I sold it for $50, it's $50 for the price of spending a Sunday learning what's inside a synthesizer!

On to my question. The only user's manual I've been able to find online in PDF form is for the YDP-101, not the S version, and the list of demo songs is incorrect. In the manual, demo song #1 is Bach Well-Tempered Clavier #1, and #1 in the piano is Fur Elise. The question is: does anyone have a correct list of the demo songs in the YDP-101S? I'm guessing it's the same 50 in a different order. I could probably identify some of them by ear and Google could identify the rest, but it sure would be simpler if someone had an old owner's manual somewhere and could take a picture of that page with a cell phone or something.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: YDP-101S Demo Song List

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am

Hi TulsaMJ and a very warm welcome to the forums :) Great first post ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

That's quite a find...for free! I think the YDP 101 still sells for around $150 over here in the UK.

As to finding a manual for the "S" variant I could only locate the service manual online not the user manual but, looking at the YDP 101 list of demo songs I would guess you are probably right on the money in thinking they are the same as the "S" but in a different order.

I am pretty sure someone will out there will have a copy of that user manual they will be willing to share and I will also ask the guys at Yamaha so hang in there :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm wondering if maybe they just swapped WTC 1.1 and Fur Elise because Snoopy & company made Fur Elise famous so it would be a more popular "demo #1". I need to get on there and test that theory out. Maybe the list is correct except for that!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Definitely sounds feasible. I can't see any other differences in the YDP-101 and the YDP-101S.

By the way, you mentioned trying some Casio keyboards? Which models were they?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't specifically remember model numbers on the Casio - I remember that I didn't like the sound as much because the P-125 felt brighter and livelier to my ears, but I remember that I liked the keys themselves better on the Casio because they had the simulated ivory surface. Seems like they only had one Casio out to try in the little cubby area; there were several P-series and a DGX-660 (with a broken display!), and some of their Williams pianos there too, and I think there might have been a Clavinova (which I didn't pay too much attention to because I knew it was out of my price range).

Assuming it was the entry-level tier of the Casio, it's possible I would have been more impressed with the next tier up. Don't get me wrong... all of them were FANTASTIC. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of them.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm

Next time you are near a store that sells Casio, maybe pop in and see if they have the new PX-S1000 on demo? Great keyboard in both sound and feel...but of course like so many things in music, it is subjective and there is no guarantee you would like it. The new entry level CDP-S100 is also a really nice keyboard and I was quite impressed with it when I tried it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Are you giving me an excuse to go to the music store and play more pianos? Like I needed an excuse. :)
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:16 am

Well, I've managed to identify 15 of them by listening and either knowing what they were, or looking up the pieces from the YDP-101 manual and finding them in the 101S. They are absolutely NOT the exact same pieces, and the ones in there are not in the same order. This could take a while!

Some of them are familiar pieces that I don't know the names of. Long-term project if I can't find a manual!

Edit: up to 31/50 so far. Thanks, Soundhound!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 pm

TulsaMJ wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm
Are you giving me an excuse to go to the music store and play more pianos? Like I needed an excuse. :)
You can never have too many pianos! :D
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm

I asked the guys at Yamaha about the differences between the YDP 101 and the YDP 101S and they said that unlike the YDP 101 the YDP 101S had no sliding key cover hence "Slide-Less" and the addition of the "S" in the model name.

I would imagine that the other difference was, you found out, the demo songs were changed. Anyway that clears up the mystery of the "S"
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm

How funny - I noticed the cover was missing, but I assumed it had been removed by the previous owner. The sliding cover is actually in the 101S service manual!

When I get my list of the demo songs complete I'll post it here. I may be the only person who ever wants it, but maybe someone will Google by and not have to spend the time on it that I have. It's been fun, though! For the record: Shazam is no good at identifying songs that are not from existing recordings. Soundhound does a pretty reasonable job, though!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Forgot all about Shazam. Haven't used it for years! I see it has not improved.

Well the guy at Yamaha said he was going by memory and it was a long time ago. Perhaps he got it the wrong way around? That is definitely a 101S you have there? Serial should be on the back.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:46 am

Yep, I definitely have the S version, according the the sticker. I don't know of any reason why the S couldn't mean that there isn't a slide... my assumption is that whoever compiled the service manual just saw it as an unnecessary added task to remove the part about the cover. Or they just forgot. Really, the electronics (and the locations of the screws to get everything loose when you need to!) are probably the main things.