LL-11E preamp problems

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

User avatar Sweden
nicemd

LL-11E preamp problems

Unread post by nicemd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:19 am

Hi,
Many years ago I bought an Yamaha LL-11E. An acoustic guitar with built in microphones, supplied with an external pre-amp labeled "Yamaha Guitar Acousty".

I haven't plugged in the guitar for many years but now when I do it is completely silent. The power led on the preamp is dark so I suspect it is broken.

When I connect the guitar to my computer's sound card with built in preamps, it is still silent.

Does my guitar require some kind of special preamp, or does this suggest something else inside the guitar is (also) broken?
Would any preamp for acoustic guitar work?

Thanks,
Niclas
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LL-11E preamp problems

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am

Hi nicemd, welcome to the forums and of course the "string section" :)

That is a really nice guitar you have there! Most notably associated with the great Bert Jansch who used to play one live. By the way if you are a fan you might want to check out the Bert Jansch Around the World in 80 Plays project that the Bert Jansch Foundation are running? https://80plays.bertjanschfoundation.org/ Loads of incredibly talented guitarists around the world playing their own tributes to Bert on a LL TransAcoustic :)

Bert Jansch with Yamaha L Series.png
Bert Jansch with Yamaha L Series Guitar
Bert Jansch with Yamaha L Series.png (679.91 KiB) Viewed 74 times

Anyway getting back to your rather wonderful guitar. As far as I am aware the LL 11 was sold with and without the preamp so I think it might work without it. it is only the internal mic that "needs" the preamp and the under saddle pickup should work without it...although I am not sure how loud it would be.

Yamaha Guitar Acousty.png
Yamaha Acousty
Yamaha Guitar Acousty.png (234.77 KiB) Viewed 74 times

First thing of course is to check all the connections, in particular the battery terminals in the preamp because you said there was no power light? Get the preamp working first. I doubt it is any of the connections to the under saddle pickup or the two transducer mics that attach on the soundboard near the bridge.

Of course if you can't get the preamp up and running you could always fit a third party pickup system like the LR Baggs Anthem. :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Sweden
nicemd

Unread post by nicemd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Many thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to do some investigation next time I have the strings removed.

When I bought the guitar I remember I had second thoughts because I found it quite physical to play, especially since I at the time mostly played electric guitar.
After a while getting used to it (and maybe got stronger fingers) I really like it, and now I would never let go of it!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:30 pm

I have a similar problem moving from acoustic to electric. My fingers are used to pressing harder on the strings on an acoustic and I tend to apply too much pressure when playing electric. Takes me a while to relearn technique and back off a little. I guess that is why I have never kept an electric guitar.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”