MX61 sound bank

The MX series combines Motif XS sounds, USB Audio/MIDI connectivity and advanced DAW/VST controller features at a ground breaking level of affordability.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
richardlewisclements

MX61 sound bank

Unread post by richardlewisclements » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy either the MX61 or the MODX6. Does the MX61 have the same sound library as the MODX? All i really need my synth to do is to be able to change the Attack and Release of pre-existing sounds (particularily strings and string ensembles). I don't really need the FMX part of the MODX and use my DAW as a recording device, so all i need is the sound bank from the MODX (which i love) - but, again, was wondering if i could get that sound bank by buying the MX61?

Also, do you think Yamaha will release a version below the MODX?

Thanks so much,

Richard
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MX61 sound bank

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi Richard, welcome to the forums :)

The sounds in the MX61 come from the Yamaha Motif Classic and XS..so earlier 'Motif Line" keyboards.

The MODX is a very different beast and although it does have a lot of sounds that will be familiar to Motif owners past and present, it also has a huge amount of new sounds, many of which take advantage of the FM-X engine.

So to answer your question. If all you need are the older Motif sounds then yes the MX will most likely have them, although it should be pointed out that the MX sounds are "based on" the sounds of the Motif. The hardware is not the same as a Motif XS for example.

You may also be aware that the MX is pretty much a "rompler" for playing the sounds as they come. It is though quite a powerful synth when you add in a third party editor. You CAN however do simple things like change the attack, decay and release of sounds using the four rotary controllers on the left of the display...which is I think all you needed to be able to do?

For longevity and versatility I would go with the MODX but if you just want some "Motif" sounds and basic ability to manipulate them. the MX would be fine :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:55 pm

I agree with Saul's comments, but I'd like to add that you can play FM voices (if you ever do decide that you want to) with an MX model by connecting it to an iPad and using Yamaha's "FM Essential" app. Of course, if you connect to a computer for recording with a DAW then you can also use an MX model as a keyboard controller for sample players, soft synths, and other virtual instruments of your choice.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Canada
richardlewisclements

Unread post by richardlewisclements » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks so much. This is so helpful. Your responses are so thorough :) I think all i need at the moment is the MX61 :)

SeaGtGruff - when you say i could connect the MX to sample players are you thinking of any in particular? Essentially the most important things is the quality of the strings tone/sample. Again, thanks for your help.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:16 am

I don’t use many sample collections— I have an old version of Komplete Elements, but that’s about it. I go more for soft synths, such as the Arturia V Collection. I think East West Quantum Leap is one that’s supposed to be good, as is Komplete, but most of the orchestral sample libraries are too pricey for my very modest budget. You might get some helpful recommendations if you post a request for suggestions in the Music Software Forum.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 pm

There is loads of free softsynths out there now.

I would probably check out Native Instruments first https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/ In particular KOMPLETE START.

Check out the list of sample instruments included here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... s/#c907893

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Yamaha MX Forum - Covers the MX49, MX61 and MX88”