Reverb - Best/Favorites

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Reverb - Best/Favorites

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I know this is somewhat subjective; however it never hurts to ask other people's opinions and get some reference Performances to check out.

I am not that familiar with Yamaha's workstations/synths over the past 25+ years, so I don't know what Reverb effects are new, most improved or considered to be the highest quality reverb on the MODX/Montage.

Does anyone know which reverb effect(s) are considered to be the best on the Synth, and/or what your personal preference is?
Also, can you name/list any preset Performances that use these best/favorite go to reverbs so that I can check them out?
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reverb - Best/Favorites

Unread post by Derek » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 pm

I tend to turn off board reverbs when recording and go for Waves Abbey Road Plates, Eventide SP2016 or Eventide Blackhole when recording. Why? When recording multiple boards and VSTs you want them all in the same reverb space, or I do!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Yeah Eventide is great for reverbs. Though I do love and use the ones on my Motif ES -- a simple delay hall combo works great. I imagine it's only gotten better.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue May 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Derek wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 pm
I tend to turn off board reverbs when recording and go for Waves Abbey Road Plates, Eventide SP2016 or Eventide Blackhole when recording. Why? When recording multiple boards and VSTs you want them all in the same reverb space, or I do!
Actually, I should have been more specific with the details. This is not for recording, as I would turn off all master effects and use a Convolution Reverb in Pro Tools. I am basically looking for the best Master Reverb(s) that the Montage has for playing live..!?
What is considered to be the best reverb effect to choose on the Montage?
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue May 14, 2019 4:34 pm

puremusic wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Yeah Eventide is great for reverbs. Though I do love and use the ones on my Motif ES -- a simple delay hall combo works great. I imagine it's only gotten better.
Which reverb effect do you use/like most on the the ES? Do you know if there is a newer/better reverb that was added to the MODX/Montage?
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 pm

I haven't tried a Montage -- If only the local Guitar Center had one to demo!

I tend to like an 80's sound if I'm doing non-orchestral stuff. With the Motif ES, I set the first effect to be Delay LCR, the second to be Hall 1, and that's all I need for a great saxophone reverb. I haven't fooled around with its reverbs much having it only about 3 months now, when I found that combo I was set. Otherwise have a few plugins I'll add on as reverb #3 if I want a longer tail.

What kind of music are you doing live?
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

By the way, Derek, what kind of sounds are you using Blackhole for? When I bought it I thought I'd get more general use out of it, but it has such a specific lush character I am thinking it is more of a sound design reverb for me unless I discover some instruments that mesh with it for me particularly.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”