MODX and Roli Seaboard

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
rejetto

Re: MODX and Roli Seaboard

Unread post by rejetto » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 pm

i just tried to connect a seaboard directly to my modx, to no avail.
I tried with a MD-BT01, but it keeps flashing (as the seaboard does) and they don't establish connection. I guess i'll have to return it.
I also tried connecting it directly through USB.
Anyone?
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Does the MODX have USB MIDI hosting capability?

If I understand how USB MIDI works correctly, most keyboards don't, and you can't connect USB MIDI keyboard to USB MIDI keyboard, you have to have a host computer? I don't have a MODX though so and am not sure, the experts here ought to be able to help and clear that up.

If you're trying for MIDI over bluetooth, I've never tried that so can't help but looking up on ROLI support there's some info on that here and also here.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm

The MODX isn't a USB host unfortunately. Would have been a really interesting feature but no doubt would have also bumped the price beyond the desired price point.

You also will not be able to connect to the MODX over bluetooth as it does not support it. Another feature that would have been useful given it IS 2019 but hey it would have yet again increased cost and I know they had a very strict budget for MODX. There were a lot of features the designers wanted to put in but it was all a matter of compromise and going with what would be the most useful to the largest number of players.

Interestingly I was talking to someone quite high up in the industry last week who was saying he would be surprised if ROLI survived for another two years! Apparently things are not going so well despite the advertising and flashy website. They are struggling to gain traction in the market.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Interestingly I was talking to someone quite high up in the industry last week who was saying he would be surprised if ROLI survived for another two years! Apparently things are not going so well despite the advertising and flashy website. They are struggling to gain traction in the market.
Thats disappointing to read. I might be wrong, but IMO, ROLI has a useful product. Maybe $900 is too fla$hy for a 49 Seaboard.

If they can't make a profit, they could be a acquisition target for a Korg or A Roland, assuming they support the concept.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 am

This is what we were talking about. Niche products. The big brands are quite risk averse at the moment and the ones that I know about already have their roadmap locked in for the next three years.

ROLI is one of those interesting products that has never really caught most keyboard players imaginations. The reason for that is it really isn't a keyboard it is a midi controller and not one that is easy to use, at least not proficiently. Some people will of course be brilliant on it but most will struggle. I have tried one myself and although it was fun I was also triggering a lot of duff notes.

Still, things could change. Who knows where the market will be in a couple of years time?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 am

Saul wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 am
This is what we were talking about. Niche products. The big brands are quite risk averse at the moment and the ones that I know about already have their roadmap locked in for the next three years.

Still, things could change. Who knows where the market will be in a couple of years time?
I think our keyboard market is mostly controlled and well understood by our favorite co's.
The control is determined by the well known cos's and to some degree the 2nd and 3rd tier co's.
My favorite co is Spectrasonics

It appears fragmented since our attention is diverted by privately held synth cos, our casual searching and interesting concepts or ' startups ' that have 2-3 yrs of funding to make or break it.

I know we have plenty of toys to play with- but under $1500 synth stuff is not my cup of tea. I believe Korg is smart in exploiting market niches. Thats not a negative- they see opportunities.

I still prefer the stratosphere- The + $1800 keyboard that excites the imagination for many years. My expectations are low in that regard
for the next 2 years.
User avatar Japan
Natalini

Unread post by Natalini » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:59 pm

If you don’t need more than a +-2 pitch bend coarse, you will enjoy the montage/modx with a mpe controller, but if you need like me at minimum a +-12 pitch bend coarse, for enjoying gliding, then you can throw your modx/montage.
User avatar Germany
sneak-thief

Unread post by sneak-thief » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 pm
The MODX isn't a USB host unfortunately. Would have been a really interesting feature but no doubt would have also bumped the price beyond the desired price point.
Well, not in the sense that the software doesn't allow one to use an external USB midi controller, but MODX/Montage are definitely acting as a USB host when using a USB storage device or a DisplayLink video adapter.

MontaVista Linux (download. yamaha. com/sourcecodes/synth/) surely has drivers for midi class compliant devices. I think you're overstating the amount of effort required to add a hardware config menu to choose which part(s) receive the midi data.

However Yamaha may want to keep people within the MODX/Montage ecosystem - and therefore not have to offer support for people who have issues connecting USB midi devices, USB hubs along with power requirements, etc.

This wouldn't be a surprise considering Yamaha Synth already offload a bunch of support work to John Melas, Sample Robot, EasySounds and likely other companies.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”