Help with ALESIS FUSION 8HD minor(?) repairs...

Alesis Fusion Forum. Links, info & general advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
STEVESMITH08

Help with ALESIS FUSION 8HD minor(?) repairs...

Unread post by STEVESMITH08 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has had any experience of keys on the keyboard not working or sticky ? To explain, my ageing JD800 (set up above the Fusion) decided to drip glue from its keyboard and unfortunately same landed on the Fusion causing my current problems.

Is it too risky to open up the Fusion and try and clean them to get the keys working again?

Also, the pitch bend wheel centre detent does not stay put.There is enough play in it for there to be a noticeable pitch changes, so has to be kept in a particular position for it to be pitched right. Could this be fixed DIY also?

Many thanks!

Steve
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with ALESIS FUSION 8HD minor(?) repairs...

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Hey Steve. Welcome to the forum :)

As I mentioned in my email I have never had to take a Fusion apart but I know there are definitely a few people here who have been busy delving inside, either to make repairs or add memory and update the hard drive.

Hang in there. Someone will come along with the answers you need soon.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forums . . . . .

I've not heard of "sticky stuff" actually leaking from a board before . . . .

It could mean the sticky - and corrosive goo that dying capacitors can leak - from the JD800?

I would put a "plank" under the JD800 at this point to prevent further leakage on to the Fusion.

Is the JD800 working properly? I would certainly look inside it and check for burst Caps.

Remove them and clean up the mess with a combination of warm soapy water and a cloth - followed by

isopropyl alcohol and a cloth - to dry off . . . THEN fit replacement Caps . . . .

Has it dropped onto the Fusion and gone between the keys perhaps . . . .?

This could result in sticky keys.

Is it that the keys are sticky to touch - or has it interfered with the operation of the keys?

Opening the Fusion IS do-able - and then look to see where the "sticky" has landed, and clean it up, as above.

I would hope that it has NOT landed on the rubber contacts. If so, they may be cleanable,

OR the affected "strip" may need to be replaced . . . . .

All do-able if you take your time and go gently at it . . . .

If you <PM> your email address to me, (use the contact "balloon" on the right) - I can send you the

Service Manual, which details HOW to take the Fusion Apart . . . .

Some parts are still available. The Fusion shares some with the Akai MPC5000 - though obviously not the keys ;)

The PB/MOD Wheel assembly IS available last time I checked, but you might find, all it needs is

removing and cleaning and straightening the springs . . . .

I'm currently away from home 'til 17th June, but can send the Manual then . . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
STEVESMITH08

Unread post by STEVESMITH08 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks parametric for coming back to me so quickly on that. There's metal weights under the JD's keys which started to come loose, and the glue they were stuck with dripped onto the Fusion- a slow process so I just didn't notice!

One Fusion key sticks (i.e. its slow to lift back to normal after its played), and one doesn't work. Definitely due to the JD glue.

Yes, I'll take up your offer of the service manual.

Thanks again!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I have heard of that weight glue issue before although I can't place where it was. Someone on the forum had the problem a while back.

Sounds like a good clean inside the Fusion will have you back up and running again :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Alesis Fusion Forum 6HD & 8HD”