Yamaha THR: Patch request/help needed

Covers entire Yamaha THR range of guitar amps, heads and cabs.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
Suncloud

Yamaha THR: Patch request/help needed

Unread post by Suncloud » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm trying to get a certain sound on my guitar. I know I don't have the idea guitar: short scale, single coil, not a lot of natural sustain. The song I'm interested in is played with some kind of Jazzmaster clone.

The sound I'm interested in starts at around 3:40 to 4:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH9lwFqWMHo

I've looked through the standard presents but found nothing: either too little sustain, or the sound was too dirty and rough. Any suggestions how to do this? Experience level guitar effects/amps: very little.

Thanks guys.
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar France

Re: Yamaha THR: Patch request/help needed

Unread post by 314159 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

It's a nice sound. I would start from the position Lead, max gain, max master and max bass, and hall reverb. And then trying to modify those settings. You can also try to activate the Compressor in the THR Editor.

The problem is that the sound depends also a lot on your pickups. I have got an SSH strat with seven positions (the Humbucker is splitable) and the choice of the position is important for each song.
----------------
THR10 owner
----------------
User avatar Netherlands
Suncloud

Unread post by Suncloud » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks a lot. Yeah, the sound does depend on the pickups, I know. I'll try what you suggest tomorrow. What does the compressor do? I'll also try different cabinets I guess.
User avatar France

Unread post by 314159 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:04 pm

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
"A compressor reduces the level of an audio signal if its amplitude exceeds a certain threshold. "

In the THR Editor, there is two compressors: the simplest is "Stomp" with only two knobs (sustain and output). I have not yet explored that effect, but it seems interesting when pushing gain and master to the max (so there is something to reduce). I have set the sustain to 7.0 and it sounds quite good.

Let me know which interesting settings you try tomorrow.
----------------
THR10 owner
----------------
User avatar Netherlands
Suncloud

Unread post by Suncloud » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm

First of all: thanks again!

I now understand what a compressor does, I think: if the audio signal is reduced then you get break up of sound, right? This way I do get more sustain. Great.

I've experimented a bit now and have to say that it's not bad. I'm missing a bit of a growl that I hear in that song (not sure how to call it). My sound is a bit too clean, or completely broken up which is not quite what I want either. Need to experiment more. But I at least can play the rest of the song with a great sound :D
User avatar France

Unread post by 314159 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi Suncloud,
Suncloud wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm
I now understand what a compressor does, I think: if the audio signal is reduced then you get break up of sound, right? This way I do get more sustain. Great.
I am not sure to exactly understand what you mean by "break up". I think the parts of a note which have a high volume (the attack) are flattened and so have the same level as the parts coming later, so it seems you have a longer sustain.
Suncloud wrote:
I've experimented a bit now and have to say that it's not bad. I'm missing a bit of a growl that I hear in that song (not sure how to call it). My sound is a bit too clean, or completely broken up which is not quite what I want either. Need to experiment more. But I at least can play the rest of the song with a great sound :D
Yes, you need a more crunchy sound ! So instead of Lead, you can use Crunch: try to put the Gain at 10.0 and the Master at 7.5.

Saturday I will borrow a CD of Oiseaux-Tempête. I have never listened that band but it seems interesting. Thank you for that discovery.
----------------
THR10 owner
----------------
User avatar Netherlands
Suncloud

Unread post by Suncloud » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:41 pm

314159 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm
Hi Suncloud,
Suncloud wrote:
I am not sure to exactly understand what you mean by "break up". I think the parts of a note which have a high volume (the attack) are flattened and so have the same level as the parts coming later, so it seems you have a longer sustain.
Suncloud wrote:
Yes, you need a more crunchy sound ! So instead of Lead, you can use Crunch: try to put the Gain at 10.0 and the Master at 7.5.

Saturday I will borrow a CD of Oiseaux-Tempête. I have never listened that band but it seems interesting. Thank you for that discovery.
Hahaha, of course I found a French helper here :D They are quite popular in the tiny local independent scene here due to their singer. :lol: I'll finally be able to see them play later this year.

I'll have to try again Saturday evening or Sunday as I'm away for nearly two days. I'm not giving up! I do get a good sound that is fairly similar to the guitar riff in the beginning. That's something.

Return to “Yamaha THR Forum”