SY35 out on sidewalk

Covering the SY22 to SY55 and TG Modules.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

United States of America
Scott

SY35 out on sidewalk

Unread post by Scott » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:45 pm

I found a Yamaha SY35 out on the sidewalk for free in town! I coundn't believe my eyes. I assumed it was not working but when I got it home everything was fine. Because it's small keyboard, I guess they thought it was a toy. I recently read the chapter The Throw Away Society in Alvin Toffer's book Future Shock. He made the point that relationships to manufacture objects is increasingly temporary due to technological progress. But I thought that it was not completely true of musicians because we recognize the quality of older gear. I can't imagine having this luck again. You'll never find a Minimoog in a landfill with cellphones!
I have a TG33, I compared the waveforms and found the SY35 has an improved set of samples. I wonder what the sample ROM memory is for it? Granted, there are some samples I find inspiring on the TG33 which are missing on the SY35. A few waveforms on the SY35 are actually better than the samples on the SY99. It's uncanny that I found the SY35 because I was about to recreate patches on the SY99 that are on my TG33.
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Re: SY35 out on sidewalk

Unread post by puremusic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Wow, now that is one great find and one great day.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Great Britain
Ego_Shredder

Unread post by Ego_Shredder » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Wow that is fabulous luck! I have a SY55 and TG55, and was close to buying a SY35 earlier this year. Why? I wanted an additional MIDI controller to use with a computer setup.
Yamaha SY55, TG55 + ALL WAVE & DATA card sets. Yamaha MU100R x4 + PLG100-VH, VL, DX, PLG150-AN, DR, AP. Yamaha RY30 x2 + ALL card sets. Yamaha RM50. Kawai K1r + 32MB RAM card + ALL sound data cards. Kawai MM-16 16ch MIDI Mixer. AKAI MPD-16. Casio CSM-1. Various studio rackmount gear, mixers, microphones, MIDI problem solvers & Quested S7 active monitors. Edirol UA-101. IBM Thinkpad Z61p. Steinberg Cubase 5.1 + various software and plugins + Yamaha Studio Manager for the PLG expansion boards.
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:03 am

A great find :-) that is where I found one of my Roland MKB-200's :D
I have an SY35 as well, I found responds very well to external effects.
One nifty feature The SY35 has is the voice overlapping, play and hold
one patch like a long sustained note then change voices, and play another
patch while the old is still sounding.

Rara 0-)

Return to “Yamaha SY22, SY35 & SY55”