OS Update Release - Wish List

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

OS Update Release - Wish List

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

My gut is telling me that the Yamaha Voicing team are working right now on new 'Preset' Performances for a soon to be released Update, which if true means there are new sounds being added, such as potentially the C7 piano, etc., and/or possibly due to a 3rd new VA engine being added. I can't tell you right now what is making me think this, but if it's true and we receive an update relatively soon, I will post on here my theory of why I thought this to be the case at this particular point in time... Here's to hoping my intuition is correct! ;)

If anyone might have heard something and has a hint towards this being the case, I'm betting it would be Saul. If Saul has some kind of NDA and can't comment we would certainly understand. A wink or some kind of emoji will do! :D
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar United States of America
ZT Scheer

Re: OS Update Release

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:39 am

I for one would be (happily) shocked to death if Yamaha somehow managed to wrangle some kind of additional VA engine into the MODX.

Sadly, I believe this to be little more than wishful thinking.
User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 am

I probably should have put this in the wishlist, but I was really surprised when I first got my MODX to discover it didn't trasmit release velocity. I can understand a cheaper keybed not having aftertouch these days, but release velocity? It's just a firmware function as far as I'm aware. I play a lot of pianos, including vst's and it really sucks to have to adjust down the fixed volume of the release samples. Would be good if it was added in a firmware update :idea:
User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:53 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm
My gut is telling me that the Yamaha Voicing team are working right now on new 'Preset' Performances for a soon to be released Update...
Butt where the info comes from?

Just my 5 cents,
If its true, I would go for very obvious update fixes like Performance Pending load, Scenes SSS,
Midi Channels issues and better knobs/arrows assignments for Live sets.

(I think presets and sound are very decent on Modx, but Modx 6/7 keys worse than any Yamaha PSR and not many things comfortable concidering live stage work)
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 pm

this reads like the Kronos forum speculation from 3 yrs ago. ;)

I would def like to see Yamaha make significant time/talent investments in their w/s. I would be extremely impressed.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Ivan Jochner wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:53 pm
Butt where the info comes from?
All I'll say at this point is that someone that was on the Voicing team for the Montage Performances who is almost always connected on one of the forums, appeared to be away the end of last week...
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:47 am

vertig0spin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm
All I'll say at this point is that someone that was on the Voicing team for the Montage Performances who is almost always connected on one of the forums, appeared to be away the end of last week...
Wow, that definitely means a VA engine is coming to MODX real soon!

Let's try to deconstruct our assumption points a bit:

1. Are Yamaha working on a Firmware update for MODX?
This is a safe bet! MODX is the latest product on the line and still haven't received all options that MONTAGE received with 2.5 update a year ago! A firmware update is already pretty late if you ask me and you can claim that they are working on one with a full confidence. Maybe even having one ready and in QA? (Does Yamaha have any QA???)

2. Yamaha will add more factory samples with the next MODX firmware update.
That's NOT a safe bet. The rundown of the hardware and it's capabilities has been out there for months and the possibility to add more samples without limiting the (already pretty limited) user memory is questionable at best. And to update the existing sample set would be quite unpopular move! New samples with a firmware update? I don't think so. New samples with a free library to download, this is what I put my vote on.

3. Yamaha will add VA engine to MODX in the next update.
You can safely bet this isn't going to happen. Even if they EVER decide to add a new synth engine (considering there is such technical possibility at all!), it will go first to Montage and if it ever reaches MODX it will be a year or more later. Not in 2019, that's where my bet goes.

The truth is, we are geting closer to the MODX first birthday... and we haven't seen ANY updates so far. They may release something in the fall, but I don't expect anything exciting at this point. Add to that the lack of any new commercial libraries for Montage/MODX, literally two new libraries from EasySounds, everything else is recycled Motif content. Your MODX is as good as it will ever be.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Well Yamaha have hinted that Montage/MODX as they are now is only the start. I can believe that in that the platform does seem built to allow more to the added.

What happens and when remains to be seen, and Yamaha are being very tight lipped on it. Given it has been a while since the last Montage update, then I would hope it is soon and they have rolled quite a few things up.

In the meantime, I will enjoy the Montage I have, and wait to be pleasantly surprised when they do issue something. :)

The MODX should benefit from any Montage update as well, as it is the same architecture trimmed to fit the budget.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 pm
Well Yamaha have hinted that Montage/MODX as they are now is only the start. I can believe that in that the platform does seem built to allow more to the added.

What happens and when remains to be seen, and Yamaha are being very tight lipped on it. Given it has been a while since the last Montage update, then I would hope it is soon and they have rolled quite a few things up.

In the meantime, I will enjoy the Montage I have, and wait to be pleasantly surprised when they do issue something. :)

The MODX should benefit from any Montage update as well, as it is the same architecture trimmed to fit the budget.
MONTAGE and MODX really do seem built for more add ons.
All those blank boxes in the MONTAGE and MODX touchscreen.
Almost like YAMAHA is hinting that those blank boxes will be filled someday with cool stuff.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Kal1n_M wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:47 am
Wow, that definitely means a VA engine is coming to MODX real soon!
Well my gut doesn't tell me 'definitely' on anything, and it could be wrong, but none-the-less it is sometimes fun (for some of us anyway) to try and guess what they might give us as new features when they do release the next OS update.
Kal1n_M wrote:
Let's try to deconstruct our assumption points a bit:
1. Are Yamaha working on a Firmware update for MODX?
This is a safe bet!
Maybe even having one ready and in QA? (Does Yamaha have any QA???)
This one's a no brainer. They are continually working on the next update. Even after they release the next update, they are already working on the next one.
Yeah, I'm pretty certain Yamaha have extensive QA, otherwise there would be far too many bugs in each release. This is just normal part of the process of programming and testing software.
Kal1n_M wrote:
2. Yamaha will add more factory samples with the next MODX firmware update.
That's NOT a safe bet. The rundown of the hardware and it's capabilities has been out there for months and the possibility to add more samples without limiting the (already pretty limited) user memory is questionable at best. And to update the existing sample set would be quite unpopular move! New samples with a firmware update? I don't think so. New samples with a free library to download, this is what I put my vote on.
There are two main sections of memory in both the Montage & MODX. Preset memory and User memory. I am talking about the Preset memory, although maybe they give us another piano for the User area, like with the Bosendorfer. But I am betting that since the Bosendorfer is not a Yamaha owned piano, they didn't want to fully endorse it by making it a Preset library. I think if they were going to add another piano & use up that much Preset memory, it would be a Yamaha piano, such as the C7. No one here knows how much free/available Preset memory they have built into the hardware and Yamaha are not telling us. They could easily have designed double the amount in the Preset and the User memory areas, to be used/released at a later date in an OS update, as part of new additional feature releases. They even have quite a few free slots in the documentation where new Waveforms and new Performances could be placed in the Preset area...I'm taking it as a hint of what's to come in the future.
Kal1n_M wrote:
3. Yamaha will add VA engine to MODX in the next update.
You can safely bet this isn't going to happen. Even if they EVER decide to add a new synth engine (considering there is such technical possibility at all!), it will go first to Montage and if it ever reaches MODX it will be a year or more later. Not in 2019, that's where my bet goes.
I am a Montage owner, so I agree that it would likely be released on the Montage first, but I'm not betting against a new VA engine on the Montage, so I wouldn't bet against it on the MODX in a later release either.
Again, no one knows what they built into the hardware of these Synths except Yamaha. Their new model/roadmap/design is to have more longevity with the hardware and release new stuff via software updates. If I were designing a new synth that was to last 7 years, I would future proof the hardware as much as possible, make sure there is extra memory & processing power built-in, and only release half of what it's capable of for the first several years...
I would not be surprised if they had all along planned to release some of that memory to the User area and give us more user memory as a feature in a future update! They may have a processor just sitting there as part of the plan for releasing a third engine. Also, if I were designing a new synth using this new type of business model, I would want part of the roadmap to include continued release of new features/enhancements so that the marketing folks and those doing demos would continually have more & more to talk about and to show off with each OS release.
Kal1n_M wrote:
The truth is, we are geting closer to the MODX first birthday... and we haven't seen ANY updates so far. They may release something in the fall, but I don't expect anything exciting at this point. Add to that the lack of any new commercial libraries for Montage/MODX, literally two new libraries from EasySounds, everything else is recycled Motif content. Your MODX is as good as it will ever be.
Maybe I am too much of an optimist or have too much patience, but I think the next release for the MODX will contain most, if not all, the updates that the Montage currently has. I also think the next release for the Montage, which is what my gut feeling stemmed from anyway, is coming soon also, and will bring some really great new sounds and features/functionality (which the MODX will eventually receive as well in a later update).

I do not agree that the MODX is as good as it will ever be. I think both the Montage & MODX are just getting started. Maybe the updates won't be as soon as everyone would like them to be, but they will be coming and with new features, functionality and new sounds!!

* Check out this recent post from another forum, keeping in mind that whatever the Montage gets, the MODX will most likely also get in a later OS update. This just reaffirms my original 'gut feeling', as this post below was made after I had started this thread, and this was not even what got me to thinking that there is an update being released soon for the Montage in the first place (and likely one also for the MODX).

https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/ ... eply-85252

This is a good reason to start Up Voting ideas on YamahaSynth.ideascale.com, as he confirmed that Yamaha are watching what ideas get 'Up Voted' on YamahaSynth.ideascale.com, so if you would like to see any of the following in a future OS release, Yamaha are watching that site, so please Up Vote any of the following ideas that you would also like to see &/or add your own ideas knowing that they are not falling on deaf ears (see my list below the link below):

Add [KBD CTRL] to SCENE Mixing! (Montage/MODX)
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 0456-45978

Expand KBD CTRL to 16 parts on the Montage/MODX
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 3218-45978

Yamaha C7 Grand Piano Library for Montage/MODX
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 0797-45978

Montage/MODX 'Punch In/Out' Single/Selected Track/s
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4571-45978

Montage/MODX Pitch Bend micro Stepping-like Sound - Not 'Smooth'
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 1136-45978

New LFO Wave setting: [Triangle - ]
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4552-45978

Montage-MODX UNISON Layering Functionality
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4572-45978

Add new FM-X Algorithms with the 2 Additional Operators Stacked
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 3604-45978

Velocity Scaling and/or BHE Velocity Simulate setting for MODX8
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4570-45978
Last edited by vertig0spin on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Derek wrote:

I agree. The key is to enjoy what you have now, as you said, keep a little faith, and patiently await what comes next from Yamaha! ;)
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Derek wrote:

I agree. The key is to enjoy what you have now, as you said, keep a little faith, and patiently await what comes next from Yamaha! ;)
where did Yamaha promise functional updates for MODX ?

small maintenance up dates is no big deal.

Feature/functional updates is question.

I don't assume anything.
also, I don't count on history repeating.

If the manufacturer did not expressly commit to functional/feature updates, I would not
dream or expect anything further.
Sweden
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Macke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:44 am

Hi all,

In regards to the discussion in this thread I today received the email below from Yamaha (noreply at idescale com):
Hello from Yamaha,

We would like to conduct some research regarding analog synth sounds. Below is a link to a survey that will help us better understand what our customers are really looking for in the sound of analog synths.

>> Link to survey removed <<

We sincerely appreciate your time and contributions.

Respectfully,
Ben I >> rest of surname removed <<
R&D Planning Manager
Yamaha Corporation of America
I completed the survey and if you plan on doing the same please be adviced that there does not seem to be a simple way of moving backwards when completing a page in the survey.
They ask in which order we like some aspects or the sound (fat/warm/organic/imperfect/"free text") to be prioritized Also they ask for up to three examples of songs and the specifics around the features of the wanted sound(s) and at which time it can be heard/experienced.

This is by no mean any proof what's happening in regard to OS updates but I've only upvoted ideas for the MONTAGE/MODX on Ideascape so it's most likely related to that product family.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

This could all be about Yamaha simply looking to add more analog type sounds through an update rather than bringing a analog synth engine into play. Adding too much might pull some people away from purchase of a Montage :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm
This could all be about Yamaha simply looking to add more analog type sounds through an update rather than bringing a analog synth engine into play. Adding too much might pull some people away from purchase of a Montage :think:
Adding a new engine to the Montage/MODX may likely never happen anyway. I am curious as to what your thoughts are behind why adding a new engine might pull some people away from purchasing a Montage?
Is it that people might not want it and may be thinking that too much of Yamaha's programming time would be wasted on the 3rd engine, when it could be spent more wisely on the AWM2 & FM-X, as well as other more important synth functionality..?

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”