Hi from a Newbie here

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar United States of America
Jim H

Hi from a Newbie here

Unread post by Jim H » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jim Hayward from Rapid City, South Dakota in the USA. I've been a lurker here for about a year now having come here looking for information of the new Genos. I've had a Tyros 5-76 since February 2014 and had been eyeing the Genos since last summer. I finally decided to get it in September last year. It's taken me quite a while to get used to it and was even considering selling it and staying with the Tyros but I still have both and am getting along much better with it now.

Jim
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hi from a Newbie here

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:17 am

Welcome, Jim!

I've never had a PSR-S, Tyros, or Genos, although I'd love to have any and all of them.

I do know that a lot of Tyros owners were unhappy when the Genos was released, for one reason or another-- its high price tag, problems converting Tyros user voices and styles to the Genos, difficulties adapting to new procedures, hardware problems (it's always possible to buy a "lemon" that needs to be replaced), software (firmware) problems, and so on.

But I've also heard a lot of Tyros-to-Genos owners who are very happy with the Genos, and who say they've gotten compliments from audience members who were impressed with how great some of the voices and styles sound.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you've persevered and are getting along much better with it. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am

Hi Jim

Nice to see you on the forum :)

Genos is a beautiful keyboard although the learning curve can be a little steep. I don't have one and have not owned a Tyros but I gather from talking to Genos owners it is not a straight transition from Tyros?

If money were no object I would probably have a Genos...but money is ALWAYS and object with me :lol:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Jim H

Unread post by Jim H » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 am

Thanks, Michael and Saul. While I thoroughly enjoyed my Tyros 5, I'm finally getting to enjoy my Genos at least as much and I do like some of the new and improved voices. I also prefer the newer styling of the Genos. Now I just need to find a home for the Tyros!

Jim

Return to “Introduce Yourself”