Subtle distortion on my DX7II

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
blopho

Subtle distortion on my DX7II

Unread post by blopho » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here thanks for reading if you've made it this far. When I have some spare time I'll write a proper introduction somewhere on here.

Anyway, I just bought a DX7II a month or so ago and so far I am enjoying it, however today I noticed some subtle distortion on the LFO.

It's only really noticeable when I have one operator in use, with amplitude (ams) modulation from the LFO. If I have some harmonics in the mix it covers it up pretty well but if it's a pure sine wave it's there. It's showing up in my recordings too :(

I don't know quite what to do about this one. I know sometimes some synths just have noisier outputs but one of the biggest reasons I chose the mk II over the mk1 was because of it's supposedly cleaner output.

The noise isn't isolated to the headphone jack either, but I sprayed it out with compressed air just to see if it would help and it didn't :|

The only other thing I'm considering doing is getting the circuitboard of out there and cleaning it thoroughly with Deoxit but beyond that I don't know what I'd do. I also have never disassembled a synth before and would be a little hesitant to do it.

Advice?

Return to “Yamaha DX & TX Forum”