Midi guitar controller with MODX and CUBASE

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Patrick

Midi guitar controller with MODX and CUBASE

Unread post by Patrick » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 pm

A few years ago I got a cheap $60 midi guitar, but I couldn't use it properly with my KRONOS.
It worked with KRONOS but it used 6 midi channels and that left me only 10 midi channels in my KRONOS, and overall it was a pain to try and set up 6 midi channels with the same sound.

So i put the midi guitar in storage and forgot about it.

It was a bummer cause i love the idea of midi guitars, but the only ones that would work right costs a few thousand dollars and those Roland midi guitars didnt work for me either cause of my somewhat crippled left hand.
Had a UROCK midi guitar controller but the fretboard was super cheap like paper and it crapped out.

The current controller that didn't work with KRONOS was setting in storage, so I thought before i give the cheap midi guitar to a goodwill store, i would try it with my new MODX and CUBASE.
To my amazement it worked properly.
It played my VSTs and it was wonderfull.
This opens up a whole new level of musical expression for me.
For a $60 controller this thing is awesome!
The fretboard is button type that depress so you get a nice tactile feel.

If anyone is interested, the controller is called, ROCKBAND3 FENDER MUSTANG PRO-GUITAR.
Made by a company called MAD CATZ.
It originaly cost $150 but it came out in 2010, got mine for about $60 from online wallyworld.

Yes it is a cheap plastic game controller, but it is a really nice midi controller that has the old school round midi din connection.
It is no longer in production but you can still find them unopened in box dirt cheap from places like wallyworld and cramazon.

Incorporating this little controller into CUBASE thru MODX has me over the moon. :D :D :D

th.jpg
MIDIGUITAR
th.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 345 times
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Midi guitar controller with MODX and CUBASE

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 am

I've occasionally wondered how a MIDI guitar controller would be to play, but never tried one. The only one I ever looked at was a Yamaha model (don't remember the model) that I saw for sale on Craigslist.

Anyway, I'm glad you've got your old controller working so successfully in Cubase with your MODX. It's always nice to get a "new" piece of hardware that revitalizes your creative juices. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 am

Great to see that is working Patrick. There are some good guitar type midi controllers out there and like yours were intended for gaming but can be put to work in music just as well. The most famous is the YouRock Guitar.

Here's a sort of fun vid that Andertons did one christmas and if you forward to around 6.00 they start using the guitar connected to a synth which shows the possibilities :)

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:24 am

SeaGtGruff wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 am
I've occasionally wondered how a MIDI guitar controller would be to play, but never tried one. The only one I ever looked at was a Yamaha model (don't remember the model) that I saw for sale on Craigslist.

Anyway, I'm glad you've got your old controller working so successfully in Cubase with your MODX. It's always nice to get a "new" piece of hardware that revitalizes your creative juices. :)

I had the YAMAHA EZAG midi guitar but the midi implementation made it unusable.
I had a UROCK midi guitar controller but the neck was made out of a paperish material and it started peeling away so I finaly got the FENDER MUSTANG midi controller and it is the best one,
very solid, tactile, and it tracks really great.
Not only can i get some better guitar technique emulations with a midi guitar controller, but i can also play a pad or flute or any midi instrument in ways that take me in directions i might not have thought of using just keys alone.
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:42 am

Saul wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 am
Great to see that is working Patrick. There are some good guitar type midi controllers out there and like yours were intended for gaming but can be put to work in music just as well. The most famous is the YouRock Guitar.

Here's a sort of fun vid that Andertons did one christmas and if you forward to around 6.00 they start using the guitar connected to a synth which shows the possibilities :)

Enjoyed the video.

I had the UROCK GEN1.
It was like playing a plank of wood, as it had no tactile buttons, just sensors under a flat neck.
It wasn't that bad untill the fretboard started peeling away.

I really like this FENDER MUSTANG controller.
It tracks great with MODX and CUBASE,
and although it is cheap plastic, it feels pretty solid.

And to think,
i almost donated it to a second hand store.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”