How do I play along with a midi file

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Ravippe

How do I play along with a midi file

Unread post by Ravippe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am

I got a m0dx 6 and I want to simply play along to never ending story. Like I want to eliminate the main piano part but keep all the beats and strings etc. I have midi voyager for my android phone and a 5gb soundfont which sounds pretty good, but is there a way to play a midi I downloaded on net directly through the modx and elimate a part using the internal sounds? Or is there a way to play a midi at all? Been looking for a year. I know there are daw programs that transmit data back and forth but does anyone have any suggestions on basically something that will allow me to play a popular song with studio decent quality and allow me to play along to it, programs, ios or android please only.

Another question is yamaha has a lot of packages for psr models like 80 s modern talking packs and stuff can I buy those and make it work on my modx? So I can play like I was using a psr?
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Re: How do I play along with a midi file

Unread post by dfinucci » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 am

Hello.
Let's start with first question
As far as i know, you should follow the following process:
- load your midi file on a USB stick
- insert USB in the MODX
- open a performance
- press Play /rec icon on the left
- be sure to select MIDI as input file
- click on the name of the song and select LOAD
- select the name of midi file you want and press enter
- you have your modi song ready to play.

For more flexibility, you may press "init" while in performance list and select MIDI/GM: you will get an empy performance that you may customize as you want.

Second question
I can't help you, never tried to load other instruments libraries.
Have heard of software converter, but i have no details on this matter.

I anyway suggest to load the "MOTIF XF Performances for MONTAGE" library from Yamaha site: you will find a lot of exciting performance with rhythm and bass pre-programmed. Here you have the link
https://it.yamaha.com/it/products/music ... oduct-tabs

Hope this helps. Have a nice day
(Y)
D.

Big PS
Please note that soundfont libraries can be loaded into MODX .
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Ravippe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am
Or is there a way to play a midi at all? Been looking for a year.
It would be helpful to know what steps you've taken, so as to not waste everyone's time - and yours - with redundant efforts.
Ravippe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am
Another question is yamaha has a lot of packages for psr models like 80 s modern talking packs and stuff can I buy those and make it work on my modx? So I can play like I was using a psr?
What in the heck is a "talking" pack? Is that perhaps a mistranslated "voice"? If so ... no, voice packs for PSR models are not loadable on the Montage or MODX. There are however an abundance of 3rd-party patch (or "voice") sets available for 80s and 90s cover tunes. It should not take you more than 2 minutes to locate them via Google.
Ravippe

Unread post by Ravippe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 pm

Sorry for my sloppy typing. Yes great responses thank you. I downloaded the motif XF to montage pack for performances. Gonna try that. I’m assuming that has a lot of what I can use to play some 80's style songs.

Modern Talking I meant the group
yamahamusicsoft .com/style-files/modern-talking-disco-3

THE PSR has packs... that you pay, and you can upload them, and start playing without all the BS setup lol. I was hoping we could somehow get one and convert it to an X7L file and upload it. Just like we have performances we can load up or selections like "trance" a voice selection, I was hoping we could buy a pack, upload it and just enjoy.

I’m guessing from your response that’s not possible.

In retrospect, is it possible that there is a 3rd party site that sells X7L files for popular music groups performances? Not like the voice only, but the drums and arpeggio, etc. Load and go. SOOOooo want this.

I have used sound Mondo, but it usually only loads up a basic voice pattern, no drums, nothing to give it a substance. Like the popular song "Jump" you get those classic sounds, but no arpeggio, no drums.... kind of weak. I don’t really feel like scrolling through 10,000 arpeggio's trying to find one that matches the song, and then trying to find a drum set, and then trying to make each scene match the drum set, like drum1-beginning, drum2-middle of song etc... Seems like a lot of work.

Basically I want to kind of buy, and play. I don’t really want to spend 1 hour after along day of work, trying to fiddle. That’s fine occasionally, but I noticed that the quality of what I create is always sub par to the real thing and i just end up deleting it.

If anyone has any websites, or links to X7L files, i dont care if they are free or pay, or whatever, or if there is some expensive piece of hardware i can buy that lets me "Cheat" play lemme know!

Thanks again.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”