Hacking Modx to work on MONTAGE

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Hacking Modx to work on MONTAGE

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 pm

To someone who wants to transfer his Modx to Montage User sounds (e.g .live stage work).
Its been revealed that Montage would not accept data transfer from Modx (Performances with User Waveforms and Libraries ).
One guy called Kalin Mirchev/ Bulgaria , from MODX Facebook group shared his experience :

"You can "hack" a MODX user or library file so it's accepted by Montage.
You need to change the file extension AND the file version inside the file. You can do that with a simple text editor like EditPlus. I have tested it and it works for the current file versions - from 5.0.0 (MODX) to 4.0.4 (Montage with firmware 2.5).

This is not official feature! Yamaha will not support it and will try to convince you it is dangerous. Doing it is at your own risk!
Just make sure to change nothing else in the file but the numbers 5.0.0 to 4.0.4. Don't remove any blank spaces or anything else, then save it as Montage extension (X7U or X7L accordingly).
If you have Melas Waveform Editor, open the new Montage file to make sure it can be opened and everything reads correctly before you load it in Montage."

So any experienceis highly appreciated!
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Re: Hacking Modx to work on MONTAGE

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am

Funny you decided to post my message here, but as it it appears, this hack "works" only to very limited extent.
Since the MIDI implementation in MODX and Montage is different, many features will not be properly transferred, including effects, motion control and Super Knob programing, etc. That means all MIDI messages in the file should be translated to Montage for this to work properly.
I am in no position to do extensive tests at this time, maybe if I find time in the future I will dig deeper. If anyone else has the time to test, it will be greatly appreciated.

Or maybe Saul, or someone else who got good relations with Mr. Melas can ask him if he is planning to add this feature in the Waveform Editor Montage. In the Waveform Editor for Motif XF there was an option to import MODX file...
User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Re: Hacking Modx to work on MONTAGE

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:16 am

Kal1n_M wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am
Funny you decided to post my message here.
Здоровейте!!!

Good to know the full names of the users now))
Anyway some of the patches i made for Nord are all over the place even on a Youtube tutorials.
So i dont mind as soon as Users are happy and up to date with information and help))

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”