Top 5 Reasons To Buy The Roland Fantom

FANTOM is a new kind of creative hub, made for rapid production and expressive performance.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Top 5 Reasons To Buy The Roland Fantom

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

The guys at GAK in Brighton have made a video demonstrating the top 5 reasons why you should buy the new Roland Fantom keyboard.

Some interesting things in here but is it over £3000 worth of interesting? I am still undecided :confusion-confused:

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar France
EXer

Re: Top 5 Reasons To Buy The Roland Fantom

Unread post by EXer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm

There are discussions going on on the Roland Clan forum about the absence of Super Natural acoustic sounds and about the absence of full user sample playback capabilities on the new Fantom (user samples can only be assigned to the pads, no way to use user multisamples across the keyboard). The SRX sounds which could be found in the Integra were also dropped (not essential, but still nice to have). And the "patch remain" function (seamless transition when calling a new sound) seems not to work in all circumstances, particularly with the V-Piano when you switch scenes (Roland's name for a "performance"). That seems to dash many potential buyers' expectations.

Let's hope those are only teething problems that will be solved by Roland.
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar United States of America
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 pm

EXer wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm
There are discussions going on on the Roland Clan forum about the absence of Super Natural acoustic sounds and about the absence of full user sample playback capabilities on the new Fantom (user samples can only be assigned to the pads, no way to use user multisamples across the keyboard). The SRX sounds which could be found in the Integra were also dropped (not essential, but still nice to have). And the "patch remain" function (seamless transition when calling a new sound) seems not to work in all circumstances, particularly with the V-Piano when you switch scenes (Roland's name for a "performance"). That seems to dash many potential buyers' expectations.

Let's hope those are only teething problems that will be solved by Roland.
SN Acoustic is forthcoming, as is user multi-sampling ... confirmed.
It's not confirmed, but strongly hinted that SRX is in the process of being converted.
There's V-EP engine forthcoming.
The VA engine is strongly hinted as being updated in the future to include more waveforms and filter models (most likely JX and Juno, as well as SH-101 and JP4)
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm
The guys at GAK in Brighton have made a video demonstrating the top 5 reasons why you should buy the new Roland Fantom keyboard.

Some interesting things in here but is it over £3000 worth of interesting? I am still undecided :confusion-confused:

Hi Saul, I don't see MODX or Montage on your gear list.

Since you are an Ableton customer, do you see similarities between that
Fantom work flow ?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm

I have the MODX 8 but I have not used it at all lately. Most of my time is taken up with Acoustic guitars, writing articles and answering emails but I hope to get back to it as the holiday season approaches. If I feel like playing the keys I use the Casio PX-S1000.

Ableton and the Fantom..that's an interesting question :think: Similarities perhaps but Ableton is a LOT easier to work with (Y) It is though another thing I will need to look at in more depth over the coming months. Just too much to do right now :(
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 pm

EXer wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm
And the "patch remain" function (seamless transition when calling a new sound) seems not to work in all circumstances, particularly with the V-Piano when you switch scenes (Roland's name for a "performance").
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think where you said "particularly," you should have said "only." Maybe I missed it, but from what I saw, there is no other circumstance where that's an issue (and even then, it's not always).

Return to “Roland Fantom Forum”