CLP-6xx custom voices

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
Jaypech

CLP-6xx custom voices

Unread post by Jaypech » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 pm

(clp 635)

I record on a thumb drive as a .WAV file, paired with a video of the performance without sound. I use an editor to put both files together. The big difference as opposed to using the camera's native microphone is the sound has no background noise, but it does sound electronic and fake, as opposed to using the piano's native speakers.

The recorded voice sounds a lot like listening through your headphones, without taking advantage of the piano's actual resonance. I found that the bösendorfer with a 50 reverb chamber and damper, string, aliquot and body levels up to 8 help a lot with recreating a sound that is much closer to an acoustic piano. You have to raise the voice level as well (not the volume button) to about 105.

Anyone else have tinkered with the voice levels for a better experience?
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CLP-6xx custom voices

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Welcome, @Jaypech!

I don't have a CLP or other model that lets me create custom voices, but are you talking about creating voices with .WAV files, or just making audio-video recordings of your performances? What software do you use?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Canada
Jaypech

Unread post by Jaypech » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 pm

It's mostly about tweaking the existing voices from the piano. Just the resonance and volume really, not changing the actual tone. Basically recording my performance on a thumb drive.

Default factory settings sounds fake on a .WAV file, because resonance and damper are taken out. You have to jack them up in order to reproduce a truer sound.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Okay, thank you for that clarification. :)

I can tweak the built-in voices on my keyboards, and find that many of them do need to be adjusted to my liking. The factory default settings can be pretty bland, and on some preset voices the factory default volume settings in particular are much too low.

I'm speaking primarily of the PSR-E models that I own, but I've heard that the same is true for many (if not all) models-- and not just with Yamaha's keyboards, but with other brands as well.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Clavinova”