Wav file to play on command

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
faaslave

Wav file to play on command

Unread post by faaslave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

As a guitar player, playing the synth on certain songs, I must say the documentation and GUI on this MODX6 might as well be in chinese. lol Here is what I am trying to do, if someone can just explain to me in english, not yamaha ease, how to do it. I have the latest firmware loaded up. 2.01

On some of my perfomances I would like to add a part that is a wav file sound. Assign it to a key, and have it play when I press that key. That's it. We play a couple songs that have unique sounds that can't be reproduced by the keyboard, so I need to use a wav file to play them.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thank you for any help,

Dave
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
Sweden
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wav file to play on command

Unread post by Macke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 pm

faaslave wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm
As a guitar player, playing the synth on certain songs, I must say the documentation and GUI on this MODX6 might as well be in chinese. lol Here is what I am trying to do, if someone can just explain to me in english, not yamaha ease, how to do it. I have the latest firmware loaded up. 2.01

On some of my perfomances I would like to add a part that is a wav file sound. Assign it to a key, and have it play when I press that key. That's it. We play a couple songs that have unique sounds that can't be reproduced by the keyboard, so I need to use a wav file to play them.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thank you for any help,

Dave
I'm not able to give you the exact way to do this but maybe this video can point you in the right direction.

Important to note is that the MODX only handle 44.1 khz 16/24 bit wav files. If you try to import for example a 48 khz sample you'll get an illegal file error.

EDIT: One other way would be to create a custom drum part to load the sample(s) on different keys and limit the key range of that specific part to those keys for one shot use.
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm

Thank you for the reply. So wav files need to be loaded under init drum? I would never have figured that out. It also makes no reference to how to play a wav file that could be 20 seconds long. or maybe longer. It is hard to believe that this isn't a common thing live bands do frequently. There are some songs that have sounds I am unable to recreate live so it would be nice to trigger them during a song, using a key.

Someday I would love to use the arpeggiator. Not being a keyboardist, I can't figure out how to make it do what I want. This MODX sure has a lot of features, but the interface is very confusing.

Dave
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 am

Hello faaslave.
While editing a PART of a performance you can specify a "new waveform" to import (thay's to say a wav file).
See "reference manual" page 107 - 108
You can also assign a "root key" to the waveform.

Please note that you may have a wave ready to play directly in a Live Set, as per 2.0 OS version.

About arpeggios, you may want to have a look at:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-cat ... 01-montage and
https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/a ... montage-ii

Hope this helps
D
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Another thing that would be really helpful would be a database where you could type a song in, and it would show you the closest sounds in the library to match the sound you are looking for. I have a hell of time finding the correct sound for a given song. One day I hope someone is so bored, they take the time to put a bunch of these in a searchable database. :)
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:21 pm

I have followed your directions. I loaded the intro on C1. I plan on putting the outro on C5
1) I noticed that I have to hold the key down for it to play. Is there a way to set it to latch? I press it once and it plays the whole sound?
2) The intro is 8 seconds long and the outro is 15 seconds long. It seems to only play 2 seconds worth. I am going to assume that is tied to a measure using the tempo it has or something like that. How do I set it to play long enough to cover the entire clip?

Getting Close, and thanks for the help,

Dave
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Also, I forgot one important thing. Since I used the init drum to do this, it has the drum sound I don't want on it as well. I assume there a way to remove that.

Dave
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am

Hello faaslave.

I've just tried a new (init) AWM sound. First element then associated to a long WAV file (don't remember exactly, but for sure at least 8 seconds). I've got no problem: may be your sound cuts because of the decay of the original voice (drum?) associated to your WAV. I anyway don't know what the duration limit could be for Wavs.

As for the latch, you can set the "Release" value at 127: edit part -> select element 1 (i.e.) -> tab "Amplitude" -> tab "amp EG" .

Sincerely
D
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Thank you very much. Perfect :)
Go Italy! My favorite place to visit. What a beautiful Country. My dream would be to have our band play over there.

Dave
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:10 pm

:D ((i))
martyjones6294

Unread post by martyjones6294 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:48 am

In response to your issue about not being able to find performances, use the Category Search. If you know the name, you can type in part of it is the box at the top.

If you just want to narrow down by Piano, Organ, strings, etc, there are boxes for categories to select and they have sub-categories under them. That usually will get you close enough.

AND, once you find performances that you really like, you can make them FAVORITES so you can always get back to them quickly (another feature of category search).

Hope this helps
faaslave

Unread post by faaslave » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 am

Thanks Marty.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”