CPX-5 Pickup

The CPX are high quality series of acoustic guitars featuring tops made from select pieces of spruce on bodies and backs of flamed maple. The CPX is designed to provide great playability for on-stage performance with large and deep bodies that deliver a dynamic sound, bracing designs that resist feedback, and single cutaways that provide access to the upper neck.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
Gordyboy

CPX-5 Pickup

Unread post by Gordyboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Wow! No idea this place existed until I had a problem and did some serching!

Hi Yamaha musicians!

I've got a CPX-5 that has got a problem with the pickup, I thought it was just a dodgy wiring joint but it seems to be a faulty pickup. I get a load buzzing when any pressure is applied, so not great when it's got strings on! Does anyone here know where I might be able to get a replacement? I can't seem to find out much information on the spec of it. Is there any alternative pickup that will work as a replacement if the genuine pickup isn't available?

Many thanks in advance,
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CPX-5 Pickup

Unread post by Saul » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi Gordyboy, welcome to the forums and of course our "string section" (Y)

I have a vague recollection that someone else asked not too long ago about replacing the pickup on a CPX. It definitely can be done but I would check the wiring first, if you haven't already that is? Sounds like you may have a broken wire or bad earth there somewhere.

If you need a replacement you could try http://www.sontec.co.uk as they are now the supplier for all Yamaha parts in the UK.

Failing that I know "somewhere" on the forum there is a thread about replacing the pickup, just need to find it :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Gordyboy

Unread post by Gordyboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Saul,
I to assumed it was a wiring problem and thought it would be very straight forward as that's the sort of thing I do for a living, but it only does it when the actual pickup has pressure applied, the wiring seems fine.

I've emailed Sontec so will see what they come back with.

Many thanks,

Gordon
Gordyboy

Unread post by Gordyboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Sontec have quoted £87 for the pickup, so good they are still available, although a bit pricey! Does anyone has any alternative suggestions for a pickup that would work?
Thanks,
Gordon
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Definitely useful to know the part is still available (Y)

Have you tried northwestguitars.co.uk ? They do two piezo pickups that might fit/work but you would need to check with them first.
https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/arte ... ic-guitar/
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.

Return to “Yamaha CPX Guitar Forum”