Discover The Expressive E Osmose

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Discover The Expressive E Osmose

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Expressive E Osmose.png
Osmose

Now THIS is one very interesting bit of kit. The 'Osmose' by Expressive E.

We all know about the Roli Seaboard Rise and how that gives keyboard players vastly more control over the expressiveness of the way sounds are played. The only problem was that on it's release it was quite expensive and that put a lot of people off. I have played one myself and although I did like it I was never enamoured with it enough to part with the sort of money they were asking. The price has now dropped to a much more reasonable level so it is definitely worth a second look.

However the Roli was launched way back in 2013 and a lot has happened since.

Enter a company called 'Expressive E' with their 49 key Osmose.

First up it looks like a keyboard which is a plus point for me but it goes way further than any keyboard I have ever come across, including the Roli Seaboard.

Current price is €1800 but I am sure that will drop a little once it gets to retail. It IS still in prototype by the way so bear that in mind when viewing the video. Release is estimated to be Summer 2020.

So what do you think, is this the way forward for keyboards? Will we start seeing this tech appearing in controller keyboards and as a result at a much reduced price? The future looks very interesting indeed (Y)

More info here: https://www.expressivee.com/discover-osmose
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
User avatar United States of America
DrSynth

Re: Discover The Expressive E Osmose

Unread post by DrSynth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:57 pm

From all the demo videos I've seen this will be quite interesting, and the EaganMatrix sound engine is pretty cool. Should interface well with Sculpture within Logic.

Roli boards don't quite do it for me because of how playing the rubbery surface feels, but the same level of multi control stream implementation on a conventional keyboard action is really cool, especially the realtime positional key sensing. This kind of thing is really powerful in the physical modeling idiom.

I pre-ordered

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x9, TG77's x4, Reface DX, FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2, VL70m, AN200
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421
User avatar New Zealand
silverlight

Unread post by silverlight » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:25 am

I'm also intrigued with this synth and keyboard and pre-ordered one. In a way, kind of surprised it has not been done before. But regardless, from all the videos I've seen, it appears that expressivee are doing it very well here. The design details, implementation, build quality etc seem to be causing many jaws to drop and then the added bonus of what sounds like a fantastic synth engine included under the hood make this not just a revolutionary midi controller but also a super-expressive synth in it's own right. As you can tell i'm very enthusiastic about it...hehe...very looking forward to getting one in 2020. The one thing I find it has compromised is the pitch bend implementation. Great for vibrato and half or full tone pitch bends but it can't do slides between notes further apart(understandably because of the keyboard format) I was thinking, if they also put a long ribbon controller on it to facilitate that and other modulations, it would be even more perfect than it appears now! Anyhow, I have a linnstrument as well which is optimized for long range pitch slides and glides so i'm not too disappointed about that.

Dave
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:24 am

This is the sort of instrument I would also be interested in. Apart from the fact that it has a more conventional keyboard format, which I much prefer, I have a feeling it will attract the attention of a much wider audience, particularly people who may not be keyboard players per se, but still use one as part of their whole production setup.

I have a feeling this instrument will be a LOT more successful than ROLI which although interesting has really struggled to break into the mainstream.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
Amendola

Unread post by Amendola » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 pm

I was gonna say, this looks like something easier to pick up for beginners. You think this is true, Saul?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Amendola wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 pm
I was gonna say, this looks like something easier to pick up for beginners. You think this is true, Saul?
I think so because there are so many different ways to play it, just by touch or different levels of pressure, velocity on the keys and you can create so much variation just on one key. The possibilities are huge!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Chill Out Room”