Problem connecting to PC

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Lady in Distress

Problem connecting to PC

Unread post by Lady in Distress »

Hi, I'm looking for some advise please. My other half has a Montage 6 and he is the musician and has previously recorded into Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 using various cable but not using the host to pc audio interface. He is partially sighted so it is difficult for him to set this up, which is where I get dragged in. I followed all the instructions downloading the Steinberg driver for win 7 32 bit but it failed and Microsoft kept butting in looking for an up to date driver but was unable to find one. I also tried the 64bit driver for windows 10 on my laptop and much the same happens. I have read and followed the instructions. Been on this for days so thought you guys may be able to help. Thanks and hears hoping!

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Problem connecting to PC

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I'm not sure if I can help, but I do have a couple of suggestions.

One thing I remember about the instructions for installing the Steinberg USB driver is that they say to unplug all other USB devices from the computer-- including the synth or musical keyboard-- before trying to install the driver, with the exception of the computer's keyboard and mouse. So if you have any USB devices besides the computer's keyboard and mouse plugged into the computer via USB, unplug them before you start the driver installation process. Once the driver has been installed, you can plug everything else back in, including the synth or musical keyboard.

The other suggestion is that you may need to check the USB cable and/or the USB ports on your computer and laptop. Most computers these days come with USB 3 ports, whereas I think Yamaha still uses USB 2-- although I haven't checked the manual for the Montage to see what it says. Anyway, if your computer or laptop has a USB 2 port, try plugging the Montage into that port to see if it helps. But even if you have to use a USB 3 port because that's all the computer or laptop has, the USB cable can also be a factor. I believe that Yamaha recommends using a USB 2 cable, and they also recommend that the cable be no longer than (if I remember correctly) 3 meters. If the USB cable is too long, the communications between the synth and computer may be affected to the extent that the computer can't properly detect the synth. Or, if the cable is definitely short enough, it might be that the wires inside the cable have gotten damaged in some way from repeatedly rolling up and unrolling the cable, so you might try using a different USB cable to see if it makes a difference.

PS-- By the way, welcome to the forums!

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Hi LiD, welcome to the forums :)

I assume your husband was using the standard 5pin midi ports and connecting to an audio/midi interface before. And now he wants to just connect using a single USB cable.

This should be fairly straightforward. I say "should be" because Yamaha are pretty well known for their rather clunky drivers and, if you have read around the forum you will definitely have come across people with similar experiences.

One of the most confusing things about the Montage and its USB connection is that is should, in theory not need any drivers because it is what is known as 'Class Compliant' and should be easily recognised by all DAW software.

However this only refers to connections for iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones. When connecting to a PC you should use Yamaha's low latency drivers. Not sure they make that abundantly clear in the advertising.

Anyway, the general procedure is to make sure the Montage is disconnected from the computer. Install the Yamaha drivers. Then connect the Montage via USB and power it on. Windows "should" recognise the new device and finalise the install of the drivers.

The drivers are located here:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/update ... r_win.html

Is that the one you were already using?

If it were me I would disconnect the Montage from the PC. Uninstall any drivers you had previously installed. Reboot the PC. Install the drivers. Connect the Montage and power on and hopefully, everything will work.

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Note that Yamaha has two different USB drivers-- one for USB-MIDI, and one (which says "Steinberg" rather than "Yamaha") for USB-MIDI plus USB audio.

The Steinberg driver should be used if your keyboard can send/receive audio over its USB connection and you actually want to use that capability, but if you don't care about that capability then you can just use the Yamaha driver.

The installation procedures for the two drivers are completely opposite each other as far as whether the keyboard is connected during installation:

If you want to install the Yamaha driver, you must first connect the keyboard via USB and have the keyboard turned on before launching the installation program, so the installer will be able to detect your keyboard.

If you want to install the Steinberg driver, you must first disconnect the keyboard before launching the installation program-- or I think you might be able to leave it connected as long as you have it turned off so it doesn't show up on the computer as an attached USB device. For some reason, the computer must not be aware of the keyboard's existence while the Steinberg driver is being installed.

Michael Rideout

Lady in Distress

Many thanks for your replies, I will try them all and let you know what happens. I can say though that the cable is only a metre long and is a 2.0 so that's a start. I don't think I can use the driver V1.104 suggested although it says for windows 7 it is only for 64 bit and my husbands pc is 32 bit so I tried a different one for his. Cheers for now

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The driver is supposed to be for both 32 bit and 64 bit. It should detect which version of the operating system you have and install the correct driver. As I said though, Yamaha drivers are not the best on the planet and after all these years of people having so many issues, that whole system is well overdue a complete rewrite.

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This one is supposed to work with 32 bits:

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/update ... v1101.html

Michael Rideout

Lady in Distress

He is up and running again, thank you so much guys. :clap:

Just in case others have a problem I will tell you what happened. I downloaded the Steinberg Driver using your link onto my laptop W10 64 Bit and it worked with the keyboard but I have no DAW BUT it did prove that the cable was ok. I used the same Version driver yesterday and it failed.
So I moved onto his PC and followed exact same procedure but it failed. There was a yellow ! over The device which was showing up in devices but it said driver had failed (Code 10). I uninstalled yet again and thought about it for a while. (Dangerous!!) Then I decided to uninstall the ASIO4ALL driver
that was necessary before for Sonar 8.5, loaded the Steinberg driver again and BINGO!!!!!!!! It must have been blocking the path.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to get this going for him and see the smile back on his face. Thank you again.

P.S. I shall try and find the answers to any further problems myself but it's great to know that you guys are hear to help.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the update. Great to hear that you got it up and running ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Perhaps the ASIO4ALL driver was being selected automatically as the default. Never thought to ask if you had another driver installed. Will file that for future reference :)

You are more than welcome to come back and ask any questions you like. Perhaps we won't have all the answers but often just putting it out there can help guide you in a direction you might not have considered before (Y)

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

We're happy that you got it working, and thank you very much for sharing what the solution was! If anyone else has trouble with the Steinberg driver, this may help them, because ASIO4ALL is a very popular substitute for ASIO.

Michael Rideout