Wondering about keyboards and NAMM 2020

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Wondering about keyboards and NAMM 2020

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I always enjoy watching Jeremy See's Youtube channel and he has made some keyboard speculations regarding 2020 NAMM. That's part of the fun I guess; speculating. It's kinda like Christmas Eve and wondering what Santa is going to bring. The one I am curious about is the Yamaha "family friendly" arranger keyboard that will debut. Jeremy wonders if they might have been cooking up this keyboard when Casio passed them by with the CTX series and the AIX sound chip ...(maybe that's a generous claim, but who knows). Anyway, some of this is guess-work and kind of a wish list ...(there's a lot of that anywhere you look right now) ..but I found it interesting.

Specifically, I get very curious about budget-friendly keyboards because so many Americans are lucky to even find an affordable roof over their heads right now. (REALLY modest apartments are about $1400 a month here). The average young family lives on an unyielding budget and I see it first-hand where I live. The idea that companies can come up with a great-sounding keyboard for people who can't afford many luxuries really appeals to me, especially an instrument that is fun and musically satisfying. It spawns a whole new generation of musicians who will grow in their craft. One of the things that I appreciate about Jeremy See is that he will feature keyboards in every price range, since many of his students are on a small budget. (He calls them "price sensitive" keyboards). And, of course, he features high-end keys as well. (Something I also appreciate on this YM website which stays current with the latest pro gear but also doesn't despise small beginnings).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWwncmrp3wU

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Wondering about keyboards and NAMM 2020

Unread post by Saul »

Always liked Jeremy See. Totally independent and buys all the gear himself (Y)

I REALLY hope Yamaha are not just updating the PSR E series yet again. That would be a massive disappointment. Year after year we see the same keyboard with a few extras thrown in and they make this big thing of it like it was a groundbreaking completely new instrument :/:

What I think they need to do is replace the MX line. That is getting very long in the tooth. It was old already when they released it. The synth engine is from the original Motif and that miniscule screen is pretty ridiculous for 2020. They could do so much better but then KORG already have that market covered with the KROSS 2 which is massively better value for money.

Yamaha need to bring out a cut down version of the MODX that is updateable online. They would probably need to drop the FM engine but then the KROSS is a single synth engine keyboard anyway. Not sure what else would go but Yamaha could definitely do it.

You are absolutely right Shelly, if they don't bring out "good quality" lower priced keyboards that are both easy to use and sound great then how are we going to encourage new generations of musicians and specifically keyboard players?

As far as I know, Yamaha have not said anything about the products they are announcing for NAMM other than there will be more than 75 of them. I would guess most will be from the commercial audio, drums and orchestral divisions. Oh and they have some new acoustic guitars too which is always good to hear :)

Well we are just about 4 weeks away now so we will soon know!

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
puremusic
Location.: USA

Unread post by puremusic »

What I'd really like to see is a portable battery powered keyboard, with good key action, good built in sounds, and a bluetooth audio out. Something I could sit on my couch next to me and play with one hand, while listening to it through the stereo system. Wires free, computer free.

Oh well, I can dream right?

I actually listened to Jeremy talk about the PSS-A50, but I know I couldn't put up with that built in speaker.

I guess I should look into stuff you can use to convert standard audio outs into wireless and look at the Reface series again, that might work!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

puremusic wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 pm What I'd really like to see is a portable battery powered keyboard, with good key action, good built in sounds, and a bluetooth audio out. Something I could sit on my couch next to me and play with one hand, while listening to it through the stereo system. Wires free, computer free.

Oh well, I can dream right?

I actually listened to Jeremy talk about the PSS-A50, but I know I couldn't put up with that built in speaker.

I guess I should look into stuff you can use to convert standard audio outs into wireless and look at the Reface series again, that might work!
The problem has always been to do with latency. Whilst you can easily use a midi controller keyboard wirelessly and there will be no noticeable delay the same is not always true for audio when transmitting the sound.

Now that isn't to say you can't mitigate the problem but you do need aptx low latency bluetooth at both the transmit and receiving ends of the signal. Or you need to run it in the 2.4 gHz range which is a sort of bluetooth but proprietary to the devices it is installed in and so would be manufacturer specific.

So right now I think your best bet might indeed be a reface.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas »

Some things for sure:

- Korg SV2
- Yamaha YC 61
- Dexibell S7 Pro M
- Korg ARP 2600
- Korg Wavestate

Haven't heard a word from Kurzweil, Kawai, Nord, Casio, Roland, Behringer, etc yet

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Casio don't have anything at the moment but they do have some new keyboards coming later in the year.

Dexibell are not doing so well at the moment. They have made great strides over the last year or so but still plagued by quality control problems and customer support issues. The Dexibell S7 Pro M is not really a NAMM launch as such because it had been announced at the beginning of Dec last year.

I am sure Behringer will have something up their sleeve...could it be their take on the ARP 2600?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

Things are now leaking at about what Sequential might be demoing at NAMM. A Sequential/Oberheim/Moog mashup, which is the most interesting thing I have seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRvonfyGiE

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I like how that Sequential Pro 3 looks I just don't like how it sounds but then I am pretty sure they are not aiming that one at me ;)

I think I am more a "pads" kind of guy. Slowly evolving, smooth sounds or layers of strings and so on.

When you see Yamaha's line up you will wonder why they even bothered with NAMM this year :/:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

I love pads, but you also need searing leads, textures and so on as well. :D

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Most of these are already known, but I'm quickly posting this before I do some other chores in my day. It showed up in my email messages.

https://reverb.com/news/namm-2020-new-p ... MM+Tuesday