Moving into the 21st Century/Investing in Yamaha Gear

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar United States of America
YamahaUser

Re: Moving into the 21st Century/Investing in Yamaha Gear

Unread post by YamahaUser » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 am

Saul wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am
Ahh but BP didn't say his high bills were solely due to his music gear. He was saying that replacing all the rack gear would reduce the bill and it will (Y)
No, what BP said was that replacing some gear with a Montage "will save me a ton on electricity". What I suggested is that even discontinuing using all that gear would have a minimal impact on his overall bill. I purposely inflated the power consumption, etc., when I did the calculation. Based on the 240 watt draw he actually reported, and typical 13 cents per KWh, even running 24 hours per day the cost would be about $22 per month. Completely eliminating that would hardly qualify as saving him "a ton on electricity" in comparison to $740 per month. I don't know what he paid for the B-stock Montage 8, but lets say it was extremely discounted to $2200. That would mean it would take 100 months of savings on his power bill (due to not using whatever was consuming 240 watts) before the Montage purchase would be offset.

I realize that there are good reasons one might update their synths, but the energy issue as presented is unrealistic. I'm in no way suggesting that cutting power consumption is a bad thing. We all should try to do so, the planet needs it. But if that's truly important to BP, and his electric bill is legitimately $740 per month, perhaps he should determine what else is being an energy pig.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
Basspig

Unread post by Basspig » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm

I pulled out an old Vangelis CD last night (Private Collection) and listened to "Horizon". And then I remembered, I also need an Arrakis Piano sample (the Kurz does a reasonably good job with it's Arrakis sample).

Then I got into downloading the CS80 Yamaha sound set. Egads--it's over 800MB! Vangelis was rumored to own SEVEN of these CS80s! At 20 grand a piece, so I heard. I'm looking forward to exploring in that direction. Not a lot of notes, but each note undergoes a metamophosis over many seconds. And then there's Invisible Connections, which I consider to be a "soundscape" rather than a music album. Interestingly it is the ONLY non classical recording in the entire Deutche Grammophon library. The first track gets interesting at 8:46. That's the sort of stuff I've been into for a long time.

I see there's a Steinway L library for the Motif XS for $49. I wonder if Montage is back compatible with these older libraries?

Electricity in my neck of the woods has gone crazy. Ever since they split generation from delivery, our bills doubled (2002 when that happened). Of course the fact that we have six in our family (wife's parents and sister) and my daughter and they like to cook a lot that tends to eat up electricity. I saved about $40 a month just by replacing my old 2008 Core2Quad PCs with modern systems. Old system idled over 200w and new system idles at 64w. I have a big dual Xeon workstation with 128GB RAM and one of those powerhouse GPUs that needs extra dedicated power connections just to work. I do all my video editing on that. It idles about 100w. I saved a lot by just upgrading the GPU.. old GPU pulled 217w at idle. New GPU uses 7w at idle. So the room is cooler in summer and less energy used.
I rarely get to turn on my 20,000 watt sound system, which is what got me my nickname. I have a theatrical grade 4K digital projector in the room which fires onto a 12' wide AT screen which conceals the array of speakers for L,C,R. The projector gets maybe an hour a day of use.

The Fedex truck just delivered-two days ahead of time! Montage 8 is here. I updated the firmware to 3.x and that was surprisingly fast, compared to the times talked about for updating the Motif XS. Under 5 minutes and back up under latest OS.

So far, impressed with the orchestral sounds. Guitars are awesome too. The Yamaha grand sound is pretty darned good. I'll have to compare it on my main sound system. Right now I'm using the small system for my edit suite and it sounds very expressive.

I'm loading the Bosendorfer sounds now. Anxious to hear them!
Basspig

Unread post by Basspig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 pm

Just getting over the worst part of the flu, but still feeling weak and woosie in the head, so some mechanical challenges still lie ahead.

Need to pull audio cables for the new synth through my desk cable troughs.

Need to determine the mechanical dimensions and interferences of the Montage as compared to the Roland A80 and modify my custom built furniture/console to make it fit. Montage is deeper, which necessitates supporting another 4" or so off the front of the cabinet it will sit upon. Montage has large rubber feet underneath, which affect the height. Montage is longer than Roland by about 3", and somewhat taller.

I have a shelf integrated for the Peavey PC1600 that will have to come out, as it hangs over the current keyboard and will not clear the Montage's extra height. The base shelf will have to be extended in depth so that there is support under the front feet of Montage. These modifications involve saws, dust, screws and glue and painting, things I'm not physically up to at the moment until I recover more fully.

I got to play with the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand samples, and I can say that they do not disappoint! Good expression, with forte passages really ringing out. A little heavy on the bass end, but I can fix that with master EQ. Later in the week I'll fire up the big sound system and give it a critical listen.
Sweden
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Macke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 pm

Basspig wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 pm
Just getting over the worst part of the flu, but still feeling weak and woosie in the head, so some mechanical challenges still lie ahead.

Need to pull audio cables for the new synth through my desk cable troughs.

Need to determine the mechanical dimensions and interferences of the Montage as compared to the Roland A80 and modify my custom built furniture/console to make it fit. Montage is deeper, which necessitates supporting another 4" or so off the front of the cabinet it will sit upon. Montage has large rubber feet underneath, which affect the height. Montage is longer than Roland by about 3", and somewhat taller.

I have a shelf integrated for the Peavey PC1600 that will have to come out, as it hangs over the current keyboard and will not clear the Montage's extra height. The base shelf will have to be extended in depth so that there is support under the front feet of Montage. These modifications involve saws, dust, screws and glue and painting, things I'm not physically up to at the moment until I recover more fully.

I got to play with the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand samples, and I can say that they do not disappoint! Good expression, with forte passages really ringing out. A little heavy on the bass end, but I can fix that with master EQ. Later in the week I'll fire up the big sound system and give it a critical listen.
Sounds like you have a solid plan for adapting you work place for the Montage. Thank you for sharing you process, thoughts and impressions.

I do wish you a speedy recovery so you can get everything in order.
Basspig

Unread post by Basspig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 pm

A few years, ago, I built a custom console to house my rack gear and keyboard. It's designed to accommodate a Roland PK-25 pedal board. A typical X-stand runs into mechanical interference with the pedal board which is about 40" wide. A friend suggested I contact Yamaha and find out what other keyboard support systems besides X-stands might fit this application.

I'm first going to try to route these two stereo pair cables from the MIDI gear to the mixer via the cable troughs under the desks. Hopefully my head doesn't explode from crouching down. :)

Then, if they didn't have to send me to the hospital and I'm still alive after that cabling experience, I may do a test to see how the Montage actually FITS on the pedestal I originally designed for the Roland. By then my wife will be home from work and can help me lift this beast.
Basspig

Unread post by Basspig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:39 am

Is it safe to remove the rubber feet on the bottom of the Montage 8? Meaning, there's no nut on the inside that's going to fall off if I unscrew the feet? In order to sit flat on the surface of my 'organ cabinet', I need to remove the back row of feet. The fronts will hang over the edge of the cabinet.
Best Regards,
Mark
-----------------------------------
Kurzweil K2600RS, K2500RS, PC2RO, ExpressionMate Ribbon
Roland A80, Peavey PC1600, Yamaha FS1R, Motif Rack XS, Montage 8

Return to “Introduce Yourself”