How you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

How you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Unread post by Saul »

Upgrade To Windows 10 For Free!
Upgrade To Windows 10 For Free!
Windows 7 to Windows 10 Free.png (350.28 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Given that support for Windows 7 officially ends on Jan 14th now might be time to bite the bullet and finally make that move to Windows 10.

I will be the first to admit it is not my favourite operating system but, most of the bugs have been ironed out and generally speaking it works quite well. Do check hardware compatibility though and of course if you have any music software that will only work under Windows 7 you may need to upgrade or move to something new.

You do need to choose the upgrade where you keep your files and information. So in other words not a clean install of Windows 10. If you choose to do a clean install, you lose the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and will need to buy a Windows 10 licence.

To upgrade for free, use the Windows Media Creation Tool and select to upgrade from there. Enter in your Windows 7 (or Windows 8) licence key, and you should soon have a Windows 10 running – for free.

If for any reason you do not know your Windows 7 product key it is usually on a sticker on the base or back of your machine. If not you can still recover it as it is stored in the registry, only it is in binary format so not easily readable.

Use NirSoft’s ProduKey to Recover Product Keys (Even if You Can’t Boot the PC)
The easiest way to get access to your product key is with a third-party utility such as that made by NirSoft. There is no hidden adware or other nonsense in this software. The only issue with this particular utility is that some antivirus will detect it as a false positive, because some malware might try to steal your product key.

Note: the NirSoft keyfinder won’t always work for OEM computers, depending on how they decided to activate the licenses. If your OEM installed your computer and used a single key for all their PCs, this won’t work. It also doesn’t work for Office 2013.

All you have to do is download ProduKey, unzip it, and then run it to immediately see all of your product keys. It’s as simple as that.

Find the Windows Key Without Any Software (Advanced Users Only)
You can easily create a simple VBscript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling.

Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code: Select all

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function
You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension. We’d recommend saving to the desktop for easy access.

Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Re: How you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Unread post by Derek »

Windows 10 is better and more stable than WIN7 in my opinion. I don't like the user interface move away from skuomorphic design towards stuff that even I could draw (lots of flat blocks), but that is personal taste I guess, and I can live with that.

The key issue of course with EOL for WIN7 is no more security updates, so as hackers find the vulnerabilities that are still there (and you wouldn't believe some of the ways in - in Windows NT days, PC Paint could be used as a backdoor into a secure system) then your WIN7 system because less secure if you are connected to the internet. Less of an issue if you are not and can maintain a good virus checking regime.

You do have to remember that WIN7 is now over a decade old. It was released in 2009, and Windows 8 has been with us since 2012 and WIN10 since 2015. At some point it is time to move on, especially as driver and application support is removed.

If you are prepared to pay Microsoft for support then you can get support for WIN7 for another 3 years, but heaven knows how much that costs.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

For those using their machines just for music, that are happy with the software they have and that are not connecting to the net there probably is no pressing need to upgrade.

Much newer software will not run under Windows 7 so at some point people may find that the utils etc they would like to use simply won't work for them. At which point an upgrade to Windows 10 might be expensive. Better to get it now, whilst it is still free.

I upgraded both our PC's to Windows 10 some time ago. I don't really use my PC much but Sasha uses hers all the time and apart from the occasional glitch it works fine.

I have never been a fan of the Windows "look". I much prefer MAC OS. It is a smoother, more pleasant experience all round.

Anyway the path to a free Win10 upgrade is still there for now so I hope it proves useful for some. (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Hmm - that's interesting to know Saul . . . .

They made such a ballyhoo after the free offer was initially announced (that it was going to be switched OFF) -

That I thought the "FREE" had long-gone . . . :roll:

[BTW - that Glitch in the forum I just emailed you about seems to have gone away now :roll: ]

I agree with Derek. Win10 seems just fine, pretty much.

The Apps I use seem fine - FF, Thunderbird, The Gimp, Audacity, Soundforge Pro10 (Still), VLC, IrfanView(.jpg et al)

and of course Reaper - Talking of which - it just now went to 6.03 and I'm delighted NOT to have been asked for more

money - which means I'll be fine up to 6.99 (Y) Updates are FREQUENT. It runs solid as a rock on Win10 64 Pro -

and all my NI Stuff works flawlessly INCLUDING Steve's HollowSun "NEBULAE" Bank for KONTAKT that I bought yesterday

(£30) (originally on the Fusion) . . . . .

So all in all I'm Happy . . . .

As a footnote - Cuckos now offer Reaper for OS X 10.15 Catalina (Notarised)

in addition to their existing x32 and x64 Mac versions . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The interesting thing is this workaround to still be able to upgrade for free is known to Microsoft and has been for some time.

They don't publicise it for fear of aggravating all those who paid for the upgrade. Microsoft would rather everyone legally upgrade via this route than stay on Windows 7 with all the security issues that implies.

I doubt they will pull the plug on this free upgrade anytime soon....but you never know right? :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr