Importing sounds/performances from MOXF

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Poland damanloox

Importing sounds/performances from MOXF

Unread post by damanloox »

Hi,

I just purchased a beautiful MODX7 and wanted to import some custom sounds/performances/libraries that I had for MOXF... While the process seems to work (ie. MODX is not complaining and importing nicely) some of the performances don't work (ie. all I hear is silence...). KBD control is OK, MODX is not complaining about missing waveforms or anything like that... Some work perfectly fine but some (most actually) just do nothing...
Any ideas what I'm missing/doing wrong?

Sweden Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SE, Gothenburg

Re: Importing sounds/performances from MOXF

Unread post by Macke »

damanloox wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 am
Hi,

I just purchased a beautiful MODX7 and wanted to import some custom sounds/performances/libraries that I had for MOXF... While the process seems to work (ie. MODX is not complaining and importing nicely) some of the performances don't work (ie. all I hear is silence...). KBD control is OK, MODX is not complaining about missing waveforms or anything like that... Some work perfectly fine but some (most actually) just do nothing...
Any ideas what I'm missing/doing wrong?
Hi damanloox,

First, welcome to the forums.

The MODX only support user samples in 44.1kHz and 16/24bit.
MODX also support Yamahas proprietary format (WXC?) which for example is used by the Bosedorfer and Chick Corea libraries.

Some free Motif XF/MOXF sample libraries are using mixed waveforms and some will not load properly in MODX. Easysounds have one library called "Inspiration In A Flash" which will not load properly because of this.

This could also be the case with your libraries.

Link to thread at YS forum regarding Inspiration in a Flash

Poland damanloox

Unread post by damanloox »

Thanks for response...
Is there any way to identify if the library is using these waveforms (ie. MODX is not "complaining" during the import so I was wondering if it's at all possible to tell the library is "not compatible")?

Sweden Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SE, Gothenburg

Unread post by Macke »

damanloox wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm
Thanks for response...
Is there any way to identify if the library is using these waveforms (ie. MODX is not "complaining" during the import so I was wondering if it's at all possible to tell the library is "not compatible")?
This I can't really answer. Not even the official Yamaha Motif XF or MOXF Editors can read x6a files.

I've read somewhere that the application Awave Studio (fmjsoft) can read these files (and a lot of others) and there is a 30 day trial available but to what extent you can inspect the files is unclear.

Also check if you can find any useful details in this thread: migrating moxf data to modx architecture or this: Strange behavior when loading a x6a file

Anybody else have any suggestions for damanloox to try?