KORG RK-100S 2 - NAMM 2020

Any KORG keyboard, module etc without it's own dedicated section.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

KORG RK-100S 2 - NAMM 2020

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:50 pm

KORG_RK100S 2 Keytar.jpg
KORG RK-100S 2 Keytar NAMM 2020
KORG_RK100S 2 Keytar.jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 276 times

KORG Continue their NAMM 2020 onslaught with yet another piece of new gear. This time in the guise of of an updated version of the RK-100S Keytar.

This is what KORG are saying about the RK-100S 2:
Since its appearance, the RK-100S keytar has been a hit for its uniquely ergonomic styling, powerful sound engine, and standout looks. Now by popular demand, the RK-100S returns in a big way.

The artisanal wooden body inherited from the original RK-100 is a hallmark of the 100S, which is now available in a finish that accentuates its wood grain. Numerous sounds ideal for solo performance have been added, making the RK-100S fit instantly into any musician’s stage performance.
My personal take on this is that as a guitarist and player of standard type keyboards I have always felt that "Keytars" look odd and uncomfortable to play. I have tried a few over the years and I just don't get what the appeal is. They seem to me to be the worst of both worlds.

I can understand why a keyboard player would want something portable that enables them to break free from the shackles of having to stand in one place. The spotlight is usually on the vocals and the guitarist after all. Why should the keyboard player be left out?

As you all know I have the REVO-1 wireless midi controller keyboard but that is a full size keyboard which you play..mostly with both hands on the keys just the same as you would with a standard keyboard. Yet you can still run around the stage with it.

Apart from all that, a quick look at some of the RK-100S 2 specs tells its own story:

No aftertouch - Why?
Only 8 voice polyphony with a maximum 4 voices when the vocoder is selected!
Number of timbres - Maximum 2 (when using Layer, Split, or Multi).
Battery powered but NOT wireless?

I know the RK-100S 2 will appeal to some. It does look nice...that's real wood by the way. But it doesn't do it for me. I think I would rather KORG had spent the budget on replacing the KROME.

What do you think? Is the KORG RK-100S 2 a step forward or perhaps a step too far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjqKXoMqyE
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KORG RK-100S 2 - NAMM 2020

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Nah. The idea of a keytar is totally lost on me. One of the beauties of being a keyboard player or a drummer at tiny gigs is that nobody can invade your space! ;)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm

I can see the use for some sort of wireless midi controller perhaps for one or two numbers but not for the whole gig. More of a performance prop than anything.

Also the whole keytar concept is better suited to a wireless controller than a all in one synth. It keeps the weight down for a start and you are not limited to the particular sounds the manufacturer deemed fit to install.

The KORG RK-100S 2 will still be fairly popular but can't see it being a huge seller.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by shelly0624 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 am

I dunno ..kinda reminds me of this:

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 am

Well if it could do that Shelly it would definitely be a LOT more interesting :lol:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Other KORG Keyboards and Products Not Covered By Their Own Section”