MODX8 Like

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
liquid153

MODX8 Like

Unread post by liquid153 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi there hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. I really like the MODX8 weighted synth/keyboard and was wondering if there was a cut down version of it that is more workstation focused. I know the 2.0 update addresses this issue, however is there a Yamaha keyboard like the MODX8 without the creating/editing of sounds. I would be fine with just the presets :) lol.

Thanks for your time
Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
Sweden
Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MODX8 Like

Unread post by Macke » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 pm

liquid153 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:24 pm
Hi there hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. I really like the MODX8 weighted synth/keyboard and was wondering if there was a cut down version of it that is more workstation focused. I know the 2.0 update addresses this issue, however is there a Yamaha keyboard like the MODX8 without the creating/editing of sounds. I would be fine with just the presets :) lol.

Thanks for your time
Hi liquid153 and welcome to the forums,

MODX is the budget alternative to the Montage but if you provide a little more details about what you are looking for we might be able to suggest alternatives?

Also it would help if you have a specific price class in mind.

You have already stated that you:
  • can make do without the actual synth part (create/edit sounds).
  • like the MODX8 keybed.
  • want something more workstation focused.
  • less expensive than the MODX8.
Maybe take a look at the products in the arranger or keyboard section?
liquid153

Unread post by liquid153 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Macke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 pm
Hi liquid153 and welcome to the forums,

MODX is the budget alternative to the Montage but if you provide a little more details about what you are looking for we might be able to suggest alternatives?

Also it would help if you have a specific price class in mind.

You have already stated that you:
  • like the MODX8 keybed.
Maybe take a look at the products in the arranger or keyboard section?
Correct, you hit the nail on the head. I looked at Yamaha arrangers and none of them are have 88keys and are not weighted.

Thanks for the reply Mackie
Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:43 am

Have a look at the new Roland RD-88 coming in March. Has a good weighted action (better than the MODX8) and 3000 sounds.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm

re:
  • like the MODX8 keybed.
Yamaha MX88 has a subset of the MODX8 sound set, no on-board ability to create/edit sounds (though you can use a computer to do it), has the same kind of action as the MODX8, but has no multitrack sequencer (i.e. does not function as a workstation)... would you be content connecting to a Mac/Windows computer or iPad to get your sequencer/workstation features?

If you really want a workstation (built in multitrack editable sequencer), for less money than a MODX8 (which, btw, also does not have that level of sequencer that really qualifies it as a workstation... at its price you could look at a Kurzweil PC4), you'll have to look outside Yamaha. If you want an 88-key weighted action that is similar (but not identical) in feel to what's in the MODX8, you could look at (in order of descending price) Roland FA-08, Korg Krome EX88, Korg Kross 2-88. The Krome might be the sweet spot there, since the Roland isn't much cheaper than the Yamaha and the Kross small screen is a significant compromise for workstation functions.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”