Help! How can i automate the overall pitch of the MODX inside my DAW?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

YorBeatz

Help! How can i automate the overall pitch of the MODX inside my DAW?

Unread post by YorBeatz »

I have been searching for i think about 2-3 hours on how i can automate or control the pitchwheel with my DAW/MIDI-Keyboard. i have searched for the right CC control but i can't find it... I have this site which explains wich CC does what, but pitchbend isn't among them... if somebody could help me out that would be amazing!

vertig0spin

Re: Help! How can i automate the overall pitch of the MODX inside my DAW?

Unread post by vertig0spin »

Just like adjusting the velocity, you should be able to find the one for pitch. I've done it with Aftertouch and it worked fine. Come to think of it, I've adjusted the pitch as well for a guitar that was bending notes...

Just fyi ... I use Pro Tools

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: Help! How can i automate the overall pitch of the MODX inside my DAW?

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Pitch Bend isn't a CC message; it's a separate message of its own:

En xx yy

Nibble n is the channel number (0 - F). Bytes xx yy are the "little-endian" 14-bit value (7 bits per byte) of the pitch bend. Your DAW should have a way for you to create an "automation lane" for the Pitch Bend message, which should handle the details of the formatting for you (channel number nibble and data bytes).

On the other hand, there are CC messages which are used to set the Pitch Bend Range, or Pitch Bend Sensitivity:

Bn 64 00 65 00 06 xx 26 yy 64 7F 65 7F

The above is actually six messages which I've combined using "running status." As separate messages they would be as follows:

Bn 64 00
Bn 65 00
Bn 06 xx
Bn 26 yy
Bn 64 7F
Bn 65 7F

They select RPN 0, which is Pitch Bend Sensitivity; set its value; then clear the RPN. The two data bytes, xx and yy, specify the range in semitones (xx) and cents (yy). Many instruments are designed to ignore the yy value and to "hardcode" it as 0, so the 26 yy or Bn 26 yy can usually be omitted.

Again, I think your DAW should have a way for you to set the Pitch Bend Sensitivity without having to get into the details of the "bits, bytes, and baud" as my former boss used to say. Once you've set the Pitch Bend Sensitivity, you can use an automation lane for the Pitch Bend messaages in order to automate the action of rolling the Pitch Bend Wheel up and down.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710