I need your help sourcing a Yamaha PSR-600 for an amazing 74 year old Indian musician (Newton's One man Orchestra)

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

CliffordJago

I need your help sourcing a Yamaha PSR-600 for an amazing 74 year old Indian musician (Newton's One man Orchestra)

Unread post by CliffordJago »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here soI apologise if this is the wrong place to be posting this but I would really appreciate any help in my quest to find a Yamaha PSR-600.

So a bit of back story, I met an amazing musician called Issac Newton (real name!) while performing at a market in Delhi. He is a 74 year old Indian man that dedicates his life to his music in memory of his late wife. He has composed everything for 30 years on the same Yamaha PSR-600 which over the years has deteriorated with constant use. He has patched up and repaired it as best he can but it is on its last legs with keys not working and some of the functions temperamental.

I would love to find him another Yamaha PSR-600 in better condition so he can keep on making his awesome music. I would greatly appreciate any help in finding one for sale so I can send it out to him.

Here is a video of when he invites around his house for his music lesson:
<iframe src="" width="640" height="564" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is his youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCElo38 ... q_BfO2P_MA

Many thanks,

Éamonn

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Re: I need your help sourcing a Yamaha PSR-600 for an amazing 74 year old Indian musician (Newton's One man Orchestra)

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Hi;
I loved this. :D
Something about living room music with friends and family that brings back good memories.
He is able to get a lot of music out of his keyboard and it was sweet to see the lady listening .. and was that his daughter playing guitar? I really hope you have success finding a great deal on the keyboard he needs. Maybe a different one if something else (or even something better) comes up? I'm sure he could make the adjustment since he seems to know his way around the one he has. I live in the USA or I could be more help and do an active search. I really hope something materializes. Have you looked on Ebay? You might also be able to google local buy-sell-trade opportunities where you live. I always check on Facebook for anything used in my area. There are usually FB pages for local buy-sell-trades.

Good luck. I would love to see him get what he needs...

Best regards,
Shelly

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I need your help sourcing a Yamaha PSR-600 for an amazing 74 year old Indian musician (Newton's One man Orchestra)

I sent you a link to the only website from India I could find for used vintage keyboards. (In your message inbox). I didn't go through the inventory, but there are a lot of models. I don't know anything about that webstore or what would be considered a good deal over there, but I sent it anyway. You can check it out. There might be similar models. The problem with buying vintage keyboards is that there can be problems and it's a pain to return something. You have to pay shipping back. Nowadays, for a new keyboard, you get more for your dime. New models do so much more and the sounds are amazing. At his age, he might be used to what he has, but a lot of keyboards have a really intuitive interface. I wondered about donations to his YouTube page. I could see that he is probably not bringing in a lot of income. A lot of his music is free .. playing on the street, etc, with only money from passersby and maybe a few other opportunities. Also, if anyone felt compelled, I posted his need for a PSR-600 on my Facebook page.

How much fun he would have, though, if there was a music store around and he could try some models out. He may find that there are some options. Also, there is an Amazon India. Amazon is my go-to webstore with tons of musical equipment.

There was an Ebay India. It folded and was bought by "KlipKart". Walmart invested in it and KlipKart was out of the picture. It was supposed to get new life but I couldn't find much. I followed a lead that brought me to an "Ebay" website. No "S" on the "https". So that's a no-go. There might be an Ebay India but I didn't see anything. Maybe somebody knows more, but it seemed sketchy.
Good luck..

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Maybe a PSR SQ16 would be an alternative..assuming he wanted to keep to something similar. There was a PSR-500 but I think that didn't have a floppy drive and that might be important?

As Shelly said though, you would get far more for the money with something more modern. Although of course there may be a learning curve and at 74 years old he may not want to go there.

There is bound to be a PSR-600 out there somewhere though (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I did come across several PSR-500s and 550s. Never did find a 600 except on a Youtube review..

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Same results here Shelly. But then we are talking about a keyboard which came out in 1992? I am sure there are a few gathering dust somewhere. But it may be the case that there is probably more chance of sourcing one in India than there is here.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wow! That's older than my MZ by 8 years. Heck yeah.. he could get something so much better.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

I can sympathise with his position though . . . . at 74, he knows how to drive the 600 and therefore would

probably not want to be bothered re-learning a newer board . . . . ?

Another avenue of inquiry might be unwanted part-exchange instruments.

I believe some dealers still offer part-exchange, even if it's for "pennies" as an inducement?

So I guess these are offloaded from time to time, again - for "cheap" . . .

maybe a possibility?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris