Using the main AND assignable outputs for surround sound

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Using the main AND assignable outputs for surround sound

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:40 am

I've been enjoying the multi channel USB audio of the Montage, and have it routed through Logic Pro to the Main L/R and Assignable L/R for surround sound.

Rather than assigning different instruments to the four monitors, I've been interested in re-creating the soundfield of a concert hall with the band/orchestra across the front and the hall ambience of the instruments across the rear. I've achieved some truly spectacular effects with this, but I'm limited to VST's when it comes to sound source applied via various effects to the 4 monitors.

I'd like to be able create the same config with the onboard programs/performances on the Montage also as a freestanding synth, but as much as I've poured over the documentation, I can't find a way to route the sources to main and assignable at the same time via effects.
Is it possible to do this? Has anyone had the Montage configured on this way?

thanks for any advice on this,

Chris
Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
User avatar United States of America
YamahaUser

Re: Using the main AND assignable outputs for surround sound

Unread post by YamahaUser » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 am

DeltaJockey wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:40 am
[...] I can't find a way to route the sources to main and assignable at the same time via effects.
Is it possible to do this?[...]
Parts routed to the Assignable Outputs can have Insertion Effects, but they bypass the System Effects (Reverb and Variation) and the Master Effect (and Master EQ).
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 am

thank you for your response...that part I did know. :)

I was including the effects description in my explanation of what I ultimately am trying to achieve,

but I suppose to keep it simple, what I'm really asking is how do I route the source program/performance out to the main outputs AND to the assignable output simultaneous?
User avatar United States of America
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:08 am

DeltaJockey wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 am
[...] what I'm really asking is how do I route the source program/performance out to the main outputs AND to the assignable output simultaneous?
Any one Part can only be routed to either the Main or Assignable Outputs, not to both simultaneously. A possible workaround depends on whether a Performance has enough unused Part slots. If it does, copy the desired Parts to those unused Part slots, then route the original Parts to the Main Outputs and the copies to the Assignable Outputs.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks YamahaUser, that's what I suspected. I did think of paralleling the programs, but it's probably easier to just use the vst's as I am. I guess none of these keyboards are designed to use as surround sources. i have the same problem with my Kronos. I could just input the analog sources from the Montage, (and Kronos) into Logic, and process it to surround, but again, a lot of mucking about. It seems most devices only implement partial solutions to this sort of thing. I have an Integra 7 which supports surround, but only analog, and not via USB!
At least the Montage supports the multichannel USB, which I am grateful for :)

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”